Sign in with
Your question

Intel i5 2500k 97 degrees Celius on IDLE! Need help!

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2011 9:43:40 AM

Ok, so I have build my first computer, everything went fine at the first test run, did a quick 200/200 battle on StarCraft 2. I was happy with the framerates, and went to replace the stock cooler with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. It didnt fit, I could not get the damn screws through the backplate thingy that come with that cooler. It was getting late in the evening, and I decided to put the stock cooler back on.

Problem is, it is now running at 97 degrees Celsius, and most of the time shuts down after a minute.

WHAT DO I DO?

I have tried removing and reinstalling the stock cooler but nothing changed. I also unplugged and replugged the cable that goes into the motherboard. I even thought at some point that I might have had too much thermal paste (yes I added a bit of what came with the Hyper 212+) And have removed some. I also went into the bios to increase the fan speed if the CPU temperature gets over 60 degrees. (Maximum fan speed I have seen is 2024 RPM)

Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
Cooler: Stock cooler
Dont think anything else is relevant.

If anyone has suggestions, please help.
November 13, 2011 10:15:56 AM

When you put back your stock cooler do you cleaned the Thermal paste on the CPU and the cooler thoroughly and applied a fresh coat of thermal paste to the CPU before resitting the cooler ? Also do check that you properly attached the cooler to the motherboard, after attaching the cooler to the board ensure cooler is firmly on its place ............ :wahoo: 
!