Sign in with
Your question

CPU / Computer case question

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2011 12:16:26 PM

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone here can help me out. I want to build a slave pc for virtual instruments. I would like one as small as possible so that I can add components over time. I would like at least an intel i5 CPU. I have been looking at these cases

http://www.viako.com/viako/product_view.asp?idx=107
http://www.wesena.co.uk/product.php/5/2/itx2

Would a case this size be capable of having an intel i5 cpu and a decent bit of ram? I plan on only using an integrated graphics card, and no cd/dvd players.

Also, for a case like this, is there a maximum wattage power supply that you could use with it? I'm pretty sure it will be external, but could you put a 500W psu for example with it, or will that cause other problems?

Thanks
a c 203 à CPUs
November 16, 2011 5:37:45 AM

No problems for either case using a mini-ITX and Core i5 CPU. But it's probably 2x-4x what you'd actually need.

Wesena Mini ITX2 Case uses an external power brick (like a laptop) to get DC power to the system. Wesena 120w pico-PSU I've seen options for 200W pico-PSUs

ML-BIG H67 WiFi is a bit bigger and uses a standard internal Mini ITX / Micro FLEX ATX PSU. (about 350W max PSU)
a c 203 à CPUs
November 16, 2011 5:38:41 AM

paulo6891 said:
as small as possible so that I can add components over time.
Have you thought this out carefully? There isnt a lot of room in these systems for adding components.
Related resources
November 16, 2011 5:34:21 PM

Hi,

I meant as small as possible so that I can add additional slave computers at some stage. Thanks for the reply.

I am now currently considering the Lian-Li A05 case
a c 203 à CPUs
November 16, 2011 6:04:22 PM

Lian-Li A05 isn't an especially small case. It's pretty much standard micro-ATX and can use most standard average size parts like PSU, video card, etc.
Here are some more options to compare size
a c 203 à CPUs
November 16, 2011 6:10:12 PM

If you want to keep looking at the mini-ITX form factor
Mini-ITX Tower case options

I has thought you meant that you'd be 'adding components' to the mini-ITX cases instead of adding more computers.
I'm thinking mini-ITX is still a reasonable option for you. Without a separate graphics card any PSU in the 200W-250W range should be plenty. And any of the recent dual core CPUs will be fine as well.
!