Error Message when trying to Open Folders

August 12, 2004 11:57:03 AM

Whenever I try to open a folder, I get the following error message: Windows
can not find the 'C:\Folder\Whatever'. Make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button,
and the click Search.
To actually open a folder, I have to right click and choose 'explore'.
Otherwise I always get that error.
It started happening after I modified the registry to add a 'export file
listing to .txt file' to the context menu, per the instruction on this
website: http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm
I followed those instructions, and then followed the instructions to remove
the menu item, and now I get this error.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 10:42:35 PM

"Josh Anderson" <Josh Anderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Whenever I try to open a folder, I get the following error message: Windows
>can not find the 'C:\Folder\Whatever'. Make sure you typed the name
>correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button,
>and the click Search.
>To actually open a folder, I have to right click and choose 'explore'.
>Otherwise I always get that error.
>It started happening after I modified the registry to add a 'export file
>listing to .txt file' to the context menu, per the instruction on this
>website: http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm
>I followed those instructions, and then followed the instructions to remove
>the menu item, and now I get this error.

See "How to Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in
Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306084).

--
(tm)
August 14, 2004 11:30:38 AM

I have been having this problem also. I notice that IE loves to be the
default browser and if I change it to FireFox, I will get the error message.
Try going to the Internet Options via the Control Panel (Not in IE), with
all browers closed and resetweb settings and make IE your default browser.
Try again to see if the error message appears