Large Format Computer Monitor

Mike Mills

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Who makes a decent performance, low cost large monitor (~30").

I have a pair of HD6870 cards Cross Fired but my display is only 22" in size and cannot utilize the capability of the cards. The game I play (Lord of the Rings Online) can generate much larger images than I am currently able to display.

Also, my monitor is a few years old and is not HDCP compliant, so the Bluray player I bought won't allow me to watch my Bluray movies on my computer because the display is not HDCP compliant.

A new monitor should fix both these problems, but which one to get???

You can buy a 1080P(1920 x 1080) monitor in any size up to 70".
You can buy a 1920 x 1200 monitor in sizes up to 27" or so.
The number of pixels you can display is determined by the resolution, not the monitor dimensions.

What I think you mean is a 2560 x 1600 monitor. All that I know of come on a 30" size. You get twice the number of pixels vs. a 1080P monitor. Unfortunately, they are very expensive. Think $1000 or so. For that, you get high quality, and a superior 178/178 viewing angle.
Some time back, I bought Samsung 305T monitors, which I highly recommend. Unfortunately, they are no longer made, but you can find recertified ones for about $900.
As expensive as they are, they will be the last monitors you will ever buy for a long time.