Custom Slim Computer

Rabid Snail

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I cant be the only person to want to do this, but i have some left over parts from previous computer upgrades and i want to throw them together to build a cheap desktop to hook up in my living room. The catch here is the size case that i want. When you think about it, excluding the lack of airflow, between the hard drive, the ram, a DVD Drive and a motherboard with on board video, there is no real reason why a case designed for mainly browsing the web should be more then an inch and a half thick. So that is my current task, to find a method to design and build (or purchase as a cheap price) a case that is slim and can house only the basics. I currently have an i3 processor, 4GB of Ram, and a 160GB 3.5" HD. I am willing to purchase a slim DVD Drive, so my two issues then are the physical case and a power supply. I am willing to build my owe case, and im sure i have the tools to do si, i just need some ideas on how to build it and what to build it out of. Please all suggestions are welcome

Rabid Snail

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
its stock which i believe is no more the 3" but i am sure that there are heat sinks made with a low profile then the stock one. But until you mentioned it i hadn't thought about it..

There' the size of the PSU as well.

When mounted on the MB with it's standoffs, etc, Im thinking it's closer to 5".
You CAN run some CPU's without tall heatsinks but you need to find a way to cool them.
Typically, you'll talking about ULV - ultra low voltage CPUs.
Something from a 'Netbook for example, or a laptop CPU.

I'm thinking it's going to take a 'Netbook or Notebook CPU/Motherboard to meet your size requirements.

Laptop's horizontal cooling layout
remove-laptop-motherboard-23.jpg