game junky

Distinguished
Hey guys - I recently swapped out the proc on my system and was interested in acquiring a CPU cooler for it. I am using an FX-8150 on an ASUS 990FX Sabertooth board. The stock heatsink is keeping it under 60C at full load but I would like a little cushion so I can test it's overclocking capability. I would prefer something that cools well in a smaller footprint but as long as it won't block my RAM I will be happy. Thanks in advance for your input!

game junky

Distinguished

Do you use the 212+? Price is intriguing and I like that you could install a secondary fan on the unit. I am going to measure my case for RAM clearance as well. Looks pretty frickin big.

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I love the hyper 212, but it is not a small footprint.I had to put my case window on the outside on extensions to get it to fit in my case. To be fair it is an older case., so make sure you take into account the height of the cooler in comparison to the side of the case.

game junky

Distinguished
I am using a fairly thick case so I think I will be fine but I'll measure to make sure I have the clearance. I think the price is right considering I am not planning on going hardcore with overclocking my proc, just want a little peace of mind. Thanks guys!

Yes I use it with an ASrock 970 extreme 3 with a 960T CPU. My CPU is unlocked with all 6 cores. The FX CPU's come with the same AMD cooler and I can tell you I was stuck at 3GHz stock with the AMD heat sink. Here is a link to my overclock post.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-261868_29_650.html#t1959409

This heat sink has a lot of clearance for RAM. The Fan can be moved up or down in any case and the fins only covers to the AM3+ bracket holes. Mine is setup as a dual push with the case fan turned to blow in and the CM 212+ fan on the opposite side. Both pushing air though the CM hyper 212+ does help a bit. I have a 120mm fan pulling air out the middle top fan duct on my NZXT GAMMA Classic case. Point is the fan need not be put on the RAM side.