Should I buy this monitor?

Simmons222

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Hey all,

My brother has a 22" Acer (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009094) that he has just laying around the house. When I asked him about it, he said he was about to sell it on Craigslist, but he would sell it to me for $75. Right now, it is just a second screen for my iMac, but I am most likely going to build a computer soon. I am going to buy a monitor to use as a secondary now, and primary later, but my only problem is with resolution. Would it be worth it to buy this monitor, or is 1680x1050 outdated and I should buy a 1920x1080 monitor?

Thanks,
Simmons

PS: I know this isn't the right section, but I have no idea where to put a post about monitors.

scubaaaDan

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
75 sounds like a good enough deal, but I would personally hold out and get two displays at the res you really want. You'll likely upgrade monitors less frequently then other components so make sure it is the one you _really_ want

(I bought three 1920x1080 not too long ago cause it was a good deal. While I'm happy with them, I really wanted 1920x1200. Six months later I look back and wish I didn't get tempted by the good deal.)

^^If I understand correctly, the OP's going for just one new monitor, not two.

I'd say that it depends on the quality of the computer you're going to build. If this is going to be a serious gaming machine, then a higher resolution will have possibly the single greatest positive impact on the subjective quality of your graphics. If it's just going to be a workhorse, or going to be built with low-end components, 1680x1050 would be fine - if you're just running productivity stuff it won't matter, and if the components are low-end, upgrades in them will produce a better effect then a monitor upgrade.