Solved

Cheap Gaming PC for Battlefield 3 ($450 budget)

Approximate Purchase Date: Less than a month

Budget Range: $450 before rebates, shipping, tax, etc

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (BF3 as focus), some music editing, and basic things

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.com prefered (no tax in CA ;), free shipping with prime )

Parts Preferences: None really. Just as long as it is good.

Overclocking: Little to none

SLI or Crossfire: None

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Longevity is a must

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 Processor 3.1GHz 3 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 (125$)
Thoughts? How does it compare to Phennem II x 4's? Is this dual core that powerful? Would AMD processors be better?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASRock H61M-VS Intel H61 Micro ATX DDR3 1333 Motherboard ($60)
Dont really need usb 3.0 or sata 6 gb/s. Basic motherboard.

RAM: CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 ($25)
Will upgrade to 8gb in future if needed. should be sufficient

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply ($80)
Any other recommendations? I will probably get a 6950 x 1 in the future. No SLI/Crossfire needed.

Case: GAMMA Classic Series ATX Mid Tower Interior Steel Chassis ($36)
Dont need fancy lights. Will airflow be sufficient for a 6950?

Hard drive: Western Digital 160 GB Caviar Blue SATA 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD1600AAJS ($90)
F*** the flood

Graphics card: Future 6950 when i get the money

CD drive: Some cheap $20 drive

Total: $416

I understand that BF3 requires a crazy powerful PC to run at high settings. I am fine with running at decent settings and hopefully my CPU will not bottleneck my future 6950. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Thank you,
xJhx
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cheap gaming battlefield budget
  1. First: BF3 Needs a crazy good gfx card to play on high settings
    Second: Intel i3 is better for gaming than the Phenom II, it can hyperthread so both CPUs can handle 4 threads.
    Third: 700W is overkill for 1 card, it's suitable for 2, but you can probably find a cheaper ~$60 PSU that is 500W, which is more than sufficient for a 6950.
    Fourth: did you include a gfx in that set, because it seems you don't have one
  2. If you don't plan on CF or OCing then 700w is overkill for one 6950. A good 550w will be enough, and this PSU is one of the highest rated ones: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=xfx%20550w

That CPU has Intel HD 2000 graphics, which that motherboard supports. BF3 really needs a quad-core, but the i3-2100 does have hyperthreading so this may not be an issue.

I don't know anything about that case, but it looks good enough.
  3. ahh alright ill edit my build for the psu.

The reason why it doesnt include the gfx is because i only have the money for the build without it so far. Lets just pretend it has a 6950 in it ;)

Oh, and just to reconfirm, Will an i3 2100 bottleneck a 6950 in BF3?
  4. xjhx said:
    ahh alright ill edit my build for the psu.

The reason why it doesnt include the gfx is because i only have the money for the build without it so far. Lets just pretend it has a 6950 in it ;)

Oh, and just to reconfirm, Will an i3 2100 bottleneck a 6950 in BF3?

Probably not, but if you wanted to be certain it doesn't I would go with a true quad core CPU, here's the cheaptest LGA 1155 quad-core on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115076
  5. r0aringdrag0n said:
    First: BF3 Needs a crazy good gfx card to play on high settings
    Second: Intel i3 is better for gaming than the Phenom II, it can hyperthread so both CPUs can handle 4 threads.
    Third: 700W is overkill for 1 card, it's suitable for 2, but you can probably find a cheaper ~$60 PSU that is 500W, which is more than sufficient for a 6950.
    Fourth: did you include a gfx in that set, because it seems you don't have one

Actually the Phenom 955 is better than the i3 2100 pretty much everywhere , except games , till you OC it . Thats spectacularly easy to do and it then out performs the 2100 .
    Hyper threading is a real poor cousin to an actual core
    There are also benchmarks of the BF3 beta showing Phenoms running better frame rates thatn intel quads
    http://www.techspot.com/review/448-battlefield-3-beta-performance/page7.html
  6. Best answer
  7. @Outlander_04
    Honestly, i prefer not to OC. The tedious process of testing stabilty and the need for a cpu cooler makes me feel that OCing is not worth it. Besides, like the link you just provided, OCing an i7 49% only gives it a %6 boost.

@aznshinobi
    Thanks for the build! The only problem i see are that hard drive prices have risen due to the flood so I think ill buy the hard drive another time. Oh and will that 430w psu really handle a 5870? Again, i think i might stick to the i3.

I'm buying all the parts except the GPU and hard drive tonight.
  8. That's not a 4870. That's a 6870. The 430w will handle the 6870. As for the i3, what's wrong with the 955? I don't really understand if the game you want to play performs better on a 955 how is that not the valid choice.
  9. My bad, I haven't built a PC since the LGA 755 era and I'm new to the new series haha.

Looking at the graph again, I think you're right. Will OCing to 980 speeds be easily obtainable considering in not buying extra fans or cooler.
  10. Yes. The 955 is a bit overvolted from stock, I obtained 3.6ghz without upping voltages. A little tiny voltage tweaking and you'll get to 980 easy. Though with the stock cooler I wouldn't push it past 3.6ghz.
  11. Alright cool. Well, Thanks for all the help! I'm ordering tonight :)
  12. Alright good luck!
  13. Best answer selected by xJHx.
  14. xjhx said:
    @Outlander_04
    Honestly, i prefer not to OC. The tedious process of testing stabilty and the need for a cpu cooler makes me feel that OCing is not worth it. Besides, like the link you just provided, OCing an i7 49% only gives it a %6 boost.

You are absolutely correct that there is little or no gain , for gamers ,when OCing the intel i5 or i7 . Most people would get a better gaming computer by spending less on the processor and more on the graphics card.

Phenom is a little different though and OCing wont be a problem.The 955 is the exact same part as a 980 . You can make a simple BIOS change and run at AT LEAST 980 speeds and have absolute stability .
    All you need to change is the multiplier
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product