Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading cpu for FSX

Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2012 2:42:29 PM

I'm considering upgrading my motherboard and cpu to a 2600k or 2700k but I'm wondering how much performance increase I could expect in FSX and if it would be worth the bucks. My frame rates drop from 15-20 to as little as 2-3 in dense addons such as Mega Airport London-Heathrow X with sliders average around 75%.

Current system specs:

EVGA P55 FTW 1156 ATX Motherboard (1156 Socket)
Intel i7 875K @ 2.93 Ghz
COOLER MASTER HYPER 212+ CPU COOLER
Corsair DOMINATOR 4GB DDR3-2000 PC-16000
Evga GTX 550TI 1024 DDR3-Matrox TripleHeadToGo-(3) Samsung 46” HDTVs-Front surround view
Evga GTX 285 DDR3-ViewSonic 22” LCD-Left view & Aesus 23” LCD-Right view
Seagate 500GB SATA II
Seagate 1.5TB SATA II
SoundBlaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer
Cooler Master 1200w PS
Windows 7 64-bit

More about : upgrading cpu fsx

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2012 4:20:13 PM

Just an FYI that 285 is a better video card than the 550TI I would use it to run the 3 screens but in reality thats still not enough. I would test the CPU upgrade by overclocking your current setup. This CPU can hit 4 ghz you might just not need an upgrade as you have an unlocked CPU that over clocks well.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1313/17/

I Know FSX loves CPU speed have you installed the multi core patch that might help out. I would test the overclock then see if that gives you anything and if that does nothing look at the video cards.

Thent
m
l
February 13, 2012 4:39:08 PM

thently said:
Just an FYI that 285 is a better video card than the 550TI I would use it to run the 3 screens but in reality thats still not enough. I would test the CPU upgrade by overclocking your current setup. This CPU can hit 4 ghz you might just not need an upgrade as you have an unlocked CPU that over clocks well.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1313/17/

I Know FSX loves CPU speed have you installed the multi core patch that might help out. I would test the overclock then see if that gives you anything and if that does nothing look at the video cards.

Thent

Thanks for the info. I've never tried overclocking but I've read about it and understanding all the settings seems a bit daunting. I'm just afraid of burning my cpu but I will probably give it a shot. When I bought the 550TI a couple of months ago I thought I was upgrading. I actually replaced an 8800 with it. Maybe I should have left it alone. I can't remember if I have installed the multi core patch but I will check.

Jerry
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2012 6:42:18 PM

its your gpus. Upgrade those for better performance, your cpu is fine.

Get a much better gpu like the 7950 for the money you would spend on the cpu and you will see masive fps increases.
m
l
February 14, 2012 7:08:03 AM

There are some tricks how to get ,more performance in FSX , the default FSX.cfg is for Intel Core duo's so your CPU can't run with its full Power in this game... , I wouldn't buy a new CPU , just check, how to change FSX.cfg , default.xml ...
m
l
February 14, 2012 11:35:11 AM

esrever said:
its your gpus. Upgrade those for better performance, your cpu is fine.

Get a much better gpu like the 7950 for the money you would spend on the cpu and you will see masive fps increases.

From all the info I've read FSX is mainly CPU intensive and upgrading the GPU has little affect on fps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2012 4:07:41 PM

Jerrymc3 said:
From all the info I've read FSX is mainly CPU intensive and upgrading the GPU has little affect on fps.

your cpu is 50x better than your gpu, not sure why you would even consider a cpu upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2012 4:46:58 PM

I am going to agree with them overclock a bit and see if that helps. If Nothing wait for the 6 series cards from NV come out and replace th 550 or the 285 your call either of those two cards could handle the 2 side screens fine its the power needed by the 1080x3 that is most likely hurting you.

Thent
m
l
February 16, 2012 7:28:15 PM

FSX is a higly dependant game. Your GPUs are probably fine. You are just running a bit low on RAM ( 4GB ) and you really should overclock that CPU. FSX loves CPU and RAM.
m
l
!