Sign in with
Your question

Which GPU is the nutz

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2011 12:38:17 AM

Fellas,

I am building a new gaming rig. I haven't built a system is a long time (last one had a P4 3ghz HT processor) I am having trouble deciding on which graphics I need. I have the mobo (Saber-tooth) PSU (1000w) ram (16gb ddr3 1333) and some blue-ray burner drives but I cant decide on a GPU. Oh and any input on waiting for the AMD bulldozer over the x6 Phenom would also be appreciated. One thing I like is the eyefinity and will most likely go to a multi-display (3+) setup.

Help me Obi Wan your my only hope!

More about : gpu nutz

a c 214 U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 12:43:36 AM

Their still is no official release date for Bulldozer so it could still be a couple months since they keep delaying.I would reccomend just getting a cheap Phenom ii x4 955 until then.

As for the GPU it depends on what your budget is.But if you are planning on going with an Eyefinity setup then you will want the 2G 6950 or 6970.Like I said it all depends on your budget.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 12:47:07 AM

Well bulldozer should be out within the month so i'd definitely wait on that. As for eyefinity, it really depends on what your expectations are. I'm happy with mine using just a 6850 and the triple 1680x1050 screens easily make up for the lower settings.
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 1:07:00 AM

How do you know Bulldozer is coming out this month?
m
l
a c 174 U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 1:35:03 AM

noone said this month, but within a month. Either way i'd wait for benchmarks before i commit. Whith how low they have set the prices for 8 core cpu's, im not expecting anything special in the way of per-core performance......but i could be wrong! who knows! IMO by releasing statements that it breaks an OC record, but cant release any real benchmarks, says to me they are hiding something.....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 1:35:05 AM

You could get the cheapest possible processor for your socket. That at least allows you to have a system up and running, to verify all the components are in proper working order, and then wait for Bulldozer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 1:39:48 AM

ZoomBased on information gathered by "industrial sources," various reports are indicating that AMD plans to launch its upcoming high-end desktop Bulldozer CPUs sometime during the week of June 20, 2011. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Bulldozer-AMD-Llam...

The first wave of high-performance desktop systems AMD Bulldozer FX processors will make its appearance in stores on September 19 according to sources on the Internet. On that day AMD will release two 8-core FX Bulldozer models, the FX-8100and FX-8150, a 6-core model, the FX-6100 and a quad-core model, the FX-4100.
http://lenzfire.com/2011/07/amd-bulldozer-release-date-...

The site Donanim Haber has published an image, in which release date of AMD FX models based on Bulldozer architecture has been provided, including models expected from the first quarter of 2012. In addition to this there is also space on the signs to reach the maximum clock frequency through the Turbo Core. In the following table we have summarized the solid information available so far, also we have left out the unofficial confirmations too:
http://lenzfire.com/2011/07/amd-bulldozer-release-date-...

And on and on and on and......
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 1:45:41 AM

Z68, i5 2500K, GTX 580 What more do you need for gaming. Plus you have an upgrade path with the Sandy Bridge-E processors coming out.
m
l
September 16, 2011 1:58:05 AM

I have been doing some more looking, and I think it's probably going to be either the 2gb 6870, the 2gb 6950, or the 1gb 6970.

Will it make much of a difference. I will play some games, I want to push multi-displays, and will get into 3d when I can.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 2:08:51 AM

tinmann said:
Z68, i5 2500K, GTX 580 What more do you need for gaming. Plus you have an upgrade path with the Sandy Bridge-E processors coming out.

The 4 core BD which is suspected to be close to or on par with the 2500k is below $200, so the wait will probably be worth it (the price for the cheapest 8-core BD will be a bit more than the 2500k, but not by much (I believe it will be $220 to $240 for the cheapest one). The GTX 580 is the fastest single GPU card on the market, but you are overpaying (price per dollar is below 90% from what I've seen from GPU comparisons on TechPowerUp) and I honestly think you can do fine with a much cheaper card (6970 or GTX 570). The Sandy Bridge-Es are not worth the wait (the cheapest unlocked SB-E is close to $600 and the cheapest is close to $300 and has a locked multiplier).

Anyway, I would wait till the HD 7000 series that is planned for this quarter release. It will DEFINITELY be an improvement over the current HD 6000 series:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-HD-7900-XDR2-Rambu...

As for BD, I would wait. You shouldn't throw money away all of a sudden when a new generation of CPUs are to come within Q4 of 2011 (October at earliest; maybe Sept. if we're lucky).
m
l
a c 174 U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 2:15:53 AM

"The 4 core BD which is suspected to be close to or on par with the 2500k is below $200" maybe in generic tasks, but i think for gaming and FP heavy apps the 2500 will have it, since the bulldozer shares 1 FP unit between 2 integer cores.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 2:23:44 AM

Lets try not to turn this into another Bulldozer rumor thread.This is still someone who needs help in getting a GPU.

I think the 2G 6950 is what you need.You will definitly want a 2G card either way because the high resolutions of Eyefinity.

I don't think 3D would be more demanding on the GPU but it does seem complicated and I don't have much knowledge on it.I know that "real" 120hz monitors are also hard to come by and you will have to use mini display ports for all the connections so you will have to look for a card that has that many Mini-Display ports.

Again what is your budget?To me the best performance per ratio would be the 6950 2G.Most people buy that card but never do Eyefinity and loose out.If you do Eyefinity the extra is very helpful.
m
l
September 16, 2011 3:15:33 AM

purple stank said:
Lets try not to turn this into another Bulldozer rumor thread.This is still someone who needs help in getting a GPU.

I think the 2G 6950 is what you need.You will definitly want a 2G card either way because the high resolutions of Eyefinity.

I don't think 3D would be more demanding on the GPU but it does seem complicated and I don't have much knowledge on it.I know that "real" 120hz monitors are also hard to come by and you will have to use mini display ports for all the connections so you will have to look for a card that has that many Mini-Display ports.

Again what is your budget?To me the best performance per ratio would be the 6950 2G.Most people buy that card but never do Eyefinity and loose out.If you do Eyefinity the extra is very helpful.

As far as budget goes, I want to stay under $300 for the GPU. I am more of a counsel gamer but when I played MOA on eyefinity it was F'in Awesome!

My main goal is to build something that will let me play the games, and be somewhat up to date for the next 4 years with some upgrades. I don't overclock or anything like that, I pretty much want it to play anything I can throw at it.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 3:21:15 AM

For that you will need a crossfire/SLI setup which is doable but you will have to wait until you have the money for another.I'm still gonna reccomend you go with the 6950 2GB.The crossfire scaling is really good and the 2GB will let you play Eyefinity with playable fps.For an Eyefinity setup you really don't want anything less than 2G.

Here's what I would get.

MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 2G $280=$260 after MIR + Free Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You also get Dirt 3 for free with that card.The Twin Frozr has some of the best aftermarket cooling on the market.Also that card has x2 mini display ports which will help towards your 3D Eyefinity.
m
l
September 17, 2011 5:17:40 PM

Thanks for the help guys
m
l
!