Upgrading GPU, need help choosing PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentiax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I'm looking to upgrade my 2 GTX 260s running in SLI to a single EVGA Superclocked GTX 570. This is my current PSU. It's served me faithfully for a few years now running the two 260s, but from what I've read you need at least 38A on one of the 12V rails to run the 570 and I don't think this one is going to cut it. I normally would research and discover which exact PSU I want myself, but I've been working 2 full time jobs lately and just don't have the time and would like second opinions anyway. I'd prefer to keep the PSU over 750watts, and under 100$ if possible. If you guys could help me pick something or show me in general what I should be looking for nowadays that'd be awesome.

Solution
For a single GTX 570, nVidia recommends a minimum 550W PSU. Although your HEC PSU is not upper-tier, it's 60A on the 12V rails is more than sufficient to power your upgrade to a single GTX 570. Unless you want to spend the extra money, I would recommend using your current PSU.
I don't really believe that two GTX 260s draw less than a single GTX 570, considering that the GTX 260 has a TDP of 183W and the GTX 570 is less than double that at 219W. But I haven't researched that properly yet...

A high quality PSU will have no problems with a GTX 570, however I don't know if your current unit qualifies as high quality.

This is the best 750W unit you'll get below $100.
XFX Pro 750W Core Edition 80Plus Bronze $100 ($25 rebate)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59617&vpn=P1750SNLB9&manufacture=XFX

sentiax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
If my current PSU is insufficient, the machine will simply restart when the GPU goes under heavy load right? My GPU won't appear to run fine while just under performing, it will actually trip the over volt protection on the PSU right? I'm asking because I may be willing to try it on my current PSU and then upgrade if necessary considering I have the money, but I want a 100% obvious that my PSU isn't handling the gpu, not just that the GPU is under performing.

For a single GTX 570, nVidia recommends a minimum 550W PSU. Although your HEC PSU is not upper-tier, it's 60A on the 12V rails is more than sufficient to power your upgrade to a single GTX 570. Unless you want to spend the extra money, I would recommend using your current PSU.

Solution

No, you at least 38 amps of 12v power for the entire system, and it doesn't have to be on a single rail.
Already been said, if it could handle a pair of 260's it can handle a 570.

sentiax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Thanks so much for all the help guys, I've been building my own PCs for years and realized recently that I never had to worry about anything but wattage on a PSU. I read the current issue recently and it worried me. I will probably still replace the PSU with a higher end one since HEC is kind of a infamous brand, and the 260s and HEC will go into a PC I'm selling my roommate. I have one final question, is there a software or tool I can buy to measure the current and power draw of my computer. I don't care if it's something I have to plug my computer into or if it's software. I've always just been curious about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS