Which mobo?

G

thats not itx, that atx. i know the standard sizes [itx, thin itx, micro atx, atx, e-atx, xl-atx] i specifically want itx because i want a small form factor gaming rig. i have to move my equipment around enough to make a midtower case a major burden, plus i live in a small place and i have a small car so a huge midtower is just too cumbersome. i have a really good z68 atx mobo and mid tower case that i am going to re-purpose as the family computer.

unfortunately the selection of itx mobos are very limited, even more limited when you factor in OCing which basically leaves me with a choice of 5 boards, the evga board is crap, the msi is overly expensive for what you get, the asrock isnt a very good value which leaves me with the 2 itx z77 boards capable of OCing which i have listed, ive been debating this ever since gigabyte came out with there itx z77 board, before it was a choice between an asrock and a the asus and the asus was a clear winner

G

with an intel processor anything over 1600 gives little to no improvement at all plus i already have 8gb of 1600mhz ram. the only processors nowadays that need OC ram are trinity apus.

G

i am strongly thinking about it. for future advice please know your atx standards.

maxicusdagreat

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Do you want to know the truth about motherboards? It's very debatable. You can go with Asrock or Asus or Gigabyte or MSI or so on and so on. Personally in my opinion, there is no best. Asus has its downsides, and upsides, same with Asrock and Gigabyte and MSI. Yes Asrock has had troubles in the past, but now they are manufactured well, have great features, last for a long time, and have a great BIOS. Asus is manufactured well too, have a great BIOS and last forever too. Now one thing is that Asrock is much cheaper in price than Asus so you may think to yourself, "Hm? Lower quality?" No! Asus prices there components high because they can. Asrock has come back great, so their low prices are kind of like an apology for there crappy work in the past years. Gigabyte is great! They are not made cheaply, they have great features, and they have a great BIOS as well. MSI brags about there military components, but all an all...I'd go for Gigabyte, Asrock, or Asus...but that's my opinion. The last thing is, have your own opinion about the motherboard you get. Don't let others distract you with their opinions. I have a Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 paired with a Radeon 7770 and an i5 3750k and I love it! Asrock, MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte are great so really, everyones tied. I just picked the one with the most features for the lowest price.

-Max

G

there is more too than that, i too know that the best boards come from asus asrock and gigabyte and i typically recommend the asrock extreme4 on here for every 1155 build. z77 is the best chipset you get without getting a socket 2011 board right now, any less and you will starve yourself of features. beyond that is quality of components and ranges anywhere from audio chipsets, to usb controllers, over clocking potential, different NICs, wireless cards and features, amount of usb ports, VRAM heat sinks, supported memory. i find lower end gigabyte boards to really cheap out on components like audio and usb controllers and lack of VRAM heatsinks, they do make a good higher end board though,for budget boards asrock always takes the take, asus is typically $15-20 more than a comparable asus board. for high end boards asus normally takes the cake