Motherboard and CPU upgrade

Greco18

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hello,

I need some help with my current computer specs. I want to upgrade my CPU and was wondering if it was worth upgrading my motherboard (as I think it might be outdated) or if I can get by with just upgrading to a better CPU. My computer is a bit choppy when I play SWTOR on high settings, so I play on medium and it is decently smooth. However, with my current graphics set up and RAM I think i shoudl be able to play on high settings with a better CPU perhaps. Here are my current specs:

Intel penitum D 8400?(I think) 3.0ghz (i'm not home right now, but I believe this is my CPU.

Asus P5WD2 motherboard

8GB ddr2 Ram

AMD Radeon HD 6850

And i'm running windows 8 64bit.

So, do I need to upgrade my motherboard? Or can I get by with a CPU upgrade that will work for my motherboard that is fast enough to run SWTOR or high demanding games on high settings? If I can simply upgrade my CPU withuot upgrading my motherboard, what CPU would you suggest for my system?
Thanks.

Solution
You will need a motherboard/CPU/ram upgrade or stay with what you got. Your board is old and does not support anything higher than pentium D.
G

Hi, if you still have this motherboard can you check something for me ? the 8GB ram at what speed does it run ?

I'm looking to put 8GB ram in this motherboard 4x 2GB 800Mhz non-ecc BUT i read this in the asus manual:

blablabla...You may install a maximim of 2GB DIMM's on each slot, but only DDR2-533 2GB density modules are available for this configuration.

Sooooo i wondered since the mobo supports 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, will it work on 800Mhz if i put in 4x 2GB ??? Or is it really a hardware limitation on the Asus P5WD2 premium board and will it lower it from 800Mhz to 533Mhz ???

If you know it mail me at svenDOTvanDOTbavelATgmailDOTcom it would be a great help.

thx