Solved

Motherboard and CPU upgrade

Hello,

I need some help with my current computer specs. I want to upgrade my CPU and was wondering if it was worth upgrading my motherboard (as I think it might be outdated) or if I can get by with just upgrading to a better CPU. My computer is a bit choppy when I play SWTOR on high settings, so I play on medium and it is decently smooth. However, with my current graphics set up and RAM I think i shoudl be able to play on high settings with a better CPU perhaps. Here are my current specs:

Intel penitum D 8400?(I think) 3.0ghz (i'm not home right now, but I believe this is my CPU.

Asus P5WD2 motherboard

8GB ddr2 Ram

AMD Radeon HD 6850

And i'm running windows 8 64bit.

So, do I need to upgrade my motherboard? Or can I get by with a CPU upgrade that will work for my motherboard that is fast enough to run SWTOR or high demanding games on high settings? If I can simply upgrade my CPU withuot upgrading my motherboard, what CPU would you suggest for my system?
Thanks.
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard upgrade
  1. Best answer
    You will need a motherboard/CPU/ram upgrade or stay with what you got. Your board is old and does not support anything higher than pentium D.
  2. Hi, if you still have this motherboard can you check something for me ? the 8GB ram at what speed does it run ?

I'm looking to put 8GB ram in this motherboard 4x 2GB 800Mhz non-ecc BUT i read this in the asus manual:

blablabla...You may install a maximim of 2GB DIMM's on each slot, but only DDR2-533 2GB density modules are available for this configuration.

Sooooo i wondered since the mobo supports 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, will it work on 800Mhz if i put in 4x 2GB ??? Or is it really a hardware limitation on the Asus P5WD2 premium board and will it lower it from 800Mhz to 533Mhz ???

If you know it mail me at svenDOTvanDOTbavelATgmailDOTcom it would be a great help.

thx
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Computers CPUs Motherboards