Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

AMD Processor Model Unknown - 960T

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 13, 2012 5:33:43 PM

Hello all,
I recently purchased a new CPU and, when opening AMD Overdrive to attempt to OC the CPU, AMD OD is telling me
Quote:
AMD Processor model unknown

I am using the Asus M4A79XTD EVO mobo (updated to the newest BOS [7/30/2010])

The CPU is an AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma

The mobo has AM3 architecture and the CPU is AM3 and I was able to unlock the six cores via BIOS.

If it helps, here is a screenshot of Overdrive and my DXDiag.
a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 13, 2012 5:46:21 PM

Hi.

1) Sorry for edit your thread, was very large.
2) The CPU that you have can be unlocked to X6 CPU, that means that if you have the "unlock cores" option in BIOS, the mobo automatically try to unlock the CPU to X6 model. Check that option in BIOS and let me know if the problem still happen.

I can read in the DXDiag file:

Quote:
Processor: AMD Processor model unknown (6 CPUs), ~3.0GHz


Download and use CPU-Z, share the screenshot with that program open.
Score
0
a c 120 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 13, 2012 6:00:17 PM

^+1 that's pretty much what that cpu does once unlocked successfully.
Score
0
Related resources
February 13, 2012 6:00:49 PM

1) We must have edited at the same time, I deleted the DXDiag and added a pastebin :) 
2) The only "problem" i'm having is the model unknown message. I ran an auto-clock but it's still showing as ~3.0 GHz, which I am assuming is related to the message I'm receiving.

I will try to get that program running. I'm at work and need to TeamViewer in. I'll be back with results.

Edit: After reading davcon's response I think I misunderstood what you meant in #1. I can't do anything in BIOS via TeamViewer but I'll look at CPU-Z
Score
0
February 13, 2012 6:01:54 PM

davcon said:
^+1 that's pretty much what that cpu does once unlocked successfully.


My previous CPU showed up correctly, but it was about a year older so maybe ASUS had added it to a BIOS update.
Score
0
February 13, 2012 6:11:11 PM

Here is the SS from CPU-Z. It seems to think my CPU is a different model.
Score
0

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 13, 2012 6:18:29 PM

Thats what happens when it unlocks. Look at my Sig the model is the same as your CPU-Z thats the 960T as a 6 core :D 
Share
a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 13, 2012 6:24:14 PM

scubab said:
Here is the SS from CPU-Z. It seems to think my CPU is a different model.
]http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb452/scubab7/th_SS-1.png


Confirmed, if you see CPU-Z the part where say "Cores" = 6 and "threads" = 6, you have an unlocked X4 960T to a X6 1065T. A six core for a quad core price, now you only need test stability of that CPU :D 

You can read more about that CPU here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-x4-960t-z...
Score
0
February 13, 2012 6:25:07 PM

Hm, strange that my last CPU (Phenom II 955 BE) showed up properly when it was unlocked to 4 cores.
I was just concerned it wasn't going to properly clock which, I feel like it hasn't.
I ran the auto-clock feature in AMD OD as I don't feel comfortable manually OCing yet and according to the SS above it is still at 3.0 Mhz :/ 
Score
0
February 13, 2012 6:27:33 PM

saint19 said:
Confirmed, if you see CPU-Z the part where say "Cores" = 6 and "threads" = 6, you have an unlocked X4 960T to a X6 1065T. A six core for a quad core price, now you only need test stability of that CPU :D 

You can read more about that CPU here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-x4-960t-z...

That's why I picked this one out :)  Was on a budget and my old CPU was overheating (I think). I just wish I knew how to properly clock because apparently auto-clock didn't do me much good.
TBH, all I do is play WoW and do some graphic design rarely, so I really don't need to unlock 6 cores or OC, but I wanna :) 
Score
0
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2012 6:29:59 PM

I have 3.89 Stable on 6 cores you can go higher on just 4 core. You have a decent cooler? I wouldnt do it on the stock one
Score
0
a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 13, 2012 6:49:49 PM

scubab said:
Hm, strange that my last CPU (Phenom II 955 BE) showed up properly when it was unlocked to 4 cores.
I was just concerned it wasn't going to properly clock which, I feel like it hasn't.
I ran the auto-clock feature in AMD OD as I don't feel comfortable manually OCing yet and according to the SS above it is still at 3.0 Mhz :/ 


scubab said:
That's why I picked this one out :)  Was on a budget and my old CPU was overheating (I think). I just wish I knew how to properly clock because apparently auto-clock didn't do me much good.
TBH, all I do is play WoW and do some graphic design rarely, so I really don't need to unlock 6 cores or OC, but I wanna :) 


Your X4 955 was (and is) based on the Deneb core. In the X4 segment can't be unlocked to X6 but your new CPU is based on the Thuban core that's basically the core of all Phenom II X6 lines in AMD.

I suggest you get a good cooler and start to overclock and unlock using BIOS, if that CPU is stable with the six cores unlocked you will have good results after unlock and overclocking.
Score
0
February 13, 2012 7:01:49 PM

I now have a self-contained water cooler so heat shouldn't be a problem for me anymore.
I can't recall exactly what the config labels, but the advanced was set to enabled and the Unleashing mode was turned on. I then logged onto WoW and got a BSoD within 5 minutes. So, I changed the advanced to auto, disabled Unleashing, and auto-clocked with AMD OD.
I know there's a fail-safe in my mobo if I overclock wrong, but I'm afraid I won't be able to OC properly if these two easy settings gave me a BSoD. Guess I'll need to do some extra research before I feel comfortable.
Score
0
February 13, 2012 10:56:06 PM

Best answer selected by scubab.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 13, 2012 11:34:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!