Toxic smell

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hi, I've recently just built my computer and when I turned it on I received a strange toxic smell coming from the top right side of the motherboard, I took a sniff and I was deffinitely coming from there.

I'm scared to get this thing up and running, so I turned it off ASAP

Btw there weren't any posts and do you have to plug in a speaker to hear the post?

Help me please

Lots of parts have oils and lubes left over from the manufacturing process.
Particularly motherboards = recieved a pretty greasy one before.
Nothing to be concerned about = like a new car smell.
Yes some cases come with a mobo speaker = some don't..

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
^+1

My latest motherboard emitted a "funny new part" smell for several months. Unless it smells burnt or smokey it probably inst anything to worry about.

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Thanks guys, I really hope I will balls up this time and turn it on what about the other question I asked, and how long does the smell last?

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
This smell is beyond funny, it makes me feel wierd? Are you sure this is normal, my computer isn't starting

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Processor:Intel i5 2500k
Motherboard:Asus p8 p67le b3 rev
Psu: 600w modxtreme pro
Gfx card: ecga nvidia gts 450 1gb
Ram: corsair cMx4Gx3m2a1600c9 Xms3 4gb 2x2 gb

There is a difference between new smell and what some of us still call "blue smoke". Basically blue smoke is when there is a nasty or slow short that burns out one or more parts leaving behind a very unique smell like burning paint while sometimes the color of the smoke is a deep gray.

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Yep I've got standoffs on

What is the cause of this blue smoke? And
I'd there anyway to rescue my computer?

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
My fans are spinning, motherboard green lights are on, but I'm not getting any post because no speakers are in? Reckon I'd hear them with earphones?

Also ive checked for scorced marks there is nothing and my capicators look normal.

You don't need a case speaker for it to post. All a speaker does is let you hear the post beep that everything is ok. If it's not posting and going to the splash screen then Wimdows then the motherboard could have a serious problem.

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I managed to have a look for smoke and it seemed to be coming from under the motherboard so I checked and the smoke was coming from behind the motherboard

abn62

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Ok I've traced it down even more it was my 5w ground wire for the case that was burning

The one with the 5w/D/D+/ground
The ground was burning ? Is there anything I can do with this is my mono damadge from this or anyway I could replace my chasis wires?