Sign in with
Your question

Computer Restarts and Freezes? May be Mother Board?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 18, 2012 2:00:41 PM

Hi community, referred to this site by a friend. I have been dealing with a computer issues for a few months now and after many trouble shooting attempts, I am coming up blank... here's what's up:

My computer will randomly either freeze, or completely just turn it self off and then back on. It happens at all kinds of intervals: When I am playing WOW or Guildwars 2, when I am browsing the web (ESPECIALLY if I am scrolling throw posts on forums or tumblr), so on, so forth. It's very frustrating.

At first I thought it may be viruses or spyware, but after running Spybot, Malwarebytes and other free anti-viruses, I came up with nothing. I even reinstalled (But not reformatted) windows a few months ago, which did nothing for it at all. I also thought it could be a heating issue as it tends to get pretty hot. Some times up to 70 degrees celsius when I am gaming. I have recently installed another fan, and took everything out of it and deep cleaned off all the dust and dog-hair and all the other bad stuff that has built up over the years of me living in the home with three dogs and a chain smoking room mate.

Over the weekend I re-seated things with new thermal grease, and even reformatted and reinstalled Windows.

None of these things helped, and it continued to restart itself randomly. We then did a CrystalDisk Scan, and it told me that everything was fine on both of my harddrives. I am still concerned about the harddrive, as it is somewhat old. (5yrs maybe?). We also did a Memtest, and after 12 passes (went to the movies while it ran) everything came up clean on my ram.

My friends (who are IT for major companies) are VERY confused. They can't pinpoint the problem at all. They did notice my Battery seemed slightly discolored.. but had no clue why...

***I DO NOT GET BSOD*** at ANY TIME.

They have suggested it may be the Motherboard, or the Harddrive ...but, funds are tight and would rather not buy one and it be the other, or buy both and it be option three.

I am not computer savvy at all, but here is my DxDiag:
DX DIAG:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.120830-0334)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: MSI

System Model: MS-7680

BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/14/11 09:35:28 Ver: 04.06.04

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4078MB RAM

Page File: 4081MB used, 4073MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

-------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 460

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E22&SUBSYS_13733842&REV_A1

Display Memory: 2761 MB

Dedicated Memory: 978 MB

Shared Memory: 1783 MB

Can anyone help me out with some suggestions? Could this be the Motherboard?
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 2:46:20 PM

Could be a power supply issue. They do crazy things when they start to go. What PSU are you using (make and model) and how old is the machine? Any overclocking? CPUs have an automatic shutdown if they get too hot. What are the temps after the re-seating of the CPU (idle and full load)?
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 3:01:16 PM

Hi, Does the board have a graphics port (VGA or DVI)? If yes, uninstall the graphics card, connect the monitor to the board, leave only one RAM stick installed, no other PCI or USB devices than keyboard and mouse and test (with a minimum configuration).
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2012 3:58:07 PM

Cball, others have suggested PSU. I'll get some more information about it when I get home. The machine was built at home, it it was built Approx. July 2010. The Graphics card, if I remember correctly is factory overclocked.

The CPU was never the thing getting hot, it stayed pretty cool. It was the GPU that would heat up. I will need to monitor it and see if it is still heating up.

Alexoiu, that is...a bit advanced for me :(  I am REALLY bad with parts and stuff, and I am a clumsy bull in a china shop, so I have been advised by many friends not to touch the insides without supervision. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'm trying to be honest. I'll forward your suggestions to my IT friend so he can tell me if I should attempt it.
m
l
a c 559 V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 4:29:24 PM

If the board has a VGA or a DVI port, try connecting the monitor to it and remove the graphics card from te PCIe slot.
m
l
!