3 monitors different resolutions wanted

frustrateddave

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hello,

I am trying to run 3 monitors on my PC. I have installed a Radeon HD5670 card and battled with eyefinity and still only managed to get 2 going at once but I will sort that out if I can solve my other issue.

My problem is that the display created using eyefinity merges the 2 desktops and treats the 2 monitors as 1 and as such they both have the same resolution and cant be adjusted independently. This is no good for me as I am running a 22", 19" and 17" monitors so one looks great and the other looks crap.

Does anyone have any solutions to this other than buying new monitors? I use Windows7 professional.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4745454b

Titan
Don't create Eyefinity. It treats everything as one monitor and you don't that.

Remember that when using 3 monitors, one of then MUST use the DP. If none of your monitors support DP then you'll need a DVI to DP adapter. Also, if your 5670 doesn't have DP on it, then it doesn't support Eyefinity. My 5750 has a VGA instead of a DP so I can't use Eyefinity on my 5750. (stupid Asus...)

frustrateddave

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Thanks for the response.

The setup I have on the 5670 is;
17" using VGA - DVI adapter
19" using DVI - DP adapter
22" using HDMI

How do I use 3 monitors without eyefinity? Windows7 sees the 3 screens but I can only get it to have 2 active at once.

frustrateddave

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

VGA at monitor - adapted to DVI at graphics card
DVI at monitor - adapted to DP at graphics card

once again thanks for your help.

frustrateddave

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Not sure but I have had each monitor working so I guess it does.

The real question I want answered though is the resolution issue. You said 'Don't create Eyefinity. It treats everything as one monitor and you don't that.'

What did you mean by that? What is the alternative? How do you view the 3 monitors as independent so that each monitors resolution can be adjusted?

frustrateddave

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Thanks for your help but I can only get it to show 2 at once - it detects all 3 but one is disabled. You can swap them out and include the previously disabled monitor but it still only shows 2 monitors and the one you swapped out is then disabled.

4745454b

Titan
Which is what happens if you try to use two DVI and the HDMI. That's why I asked if you were certain you had DP.

History lesson. About the time of the GF3/8xxx series from Nvidia/ATI we got the ability to run two monitors. Ever see those two 400MHz "RAMDACs" listed in a video cards specs? That's what lets us do that. Each RAMDAC can run a screen. When AMD gave us Eyefinity, they added a third RAMDAC, but attached it to the Display Port. This gives you the ability to run three monitors at once, but only as long as you use the DP. (Nvidia still uses only 2 RAMDACs which is why you need SLI to run "Eyefinity" on an Nvidia setup.)

frustrateddave

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Not sure what it is. I've also been talking to the guy I buy off and he thinks that maybe I need an Active DP-DVI (extra USB cable for power) rather than straight DP-DVI.

"According to AMD website, Active DP “use true DisplayPort signaling to 'actively' translate and re-transmit the signals as the required outputs. Because they use the true DisplayPort signaling, they are considered a DisplayPort connection and meet the requirements to enable 3 or more displays.” Active DP to DVI adapter has a separate USB cable to provide enough power for DP"

I'll source one of these and test.