Homebuilt system has fried two mobos

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbb1983

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
My friend is having a homebuilt system built for him. Someone is building it for him in another city so I dont have all the details. The person building it for him has built the system twice and had it running for a couple hours each time and the motherboard fried each time. The system components are:
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ Motherboard
3.6 GHZ 8150 AMD FX CPU (Bulldozer)
8GB of G SKILL X Series DDR3 1866
ASUS 6870 GPU
Cougar SX-850 Power Supply
WESTERN DIGITAL HARD DRIVE 7200RPM
Samsung DVD-RW Drive
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
also, have the power supply tested. One of my old builds had a bad power supply and was overvolting everything all the time which put too much strain on things. I was buying a new mobo every 6mo for nearly 2 years until it dawned on me that it could be the issue.

To die so quickly though sounds like the person putting it together simply dosnt know what they are doing.

kenbb1983

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
That was the first suggestion that popped in my head too. Is theyre any compatibility issue with the components? I could suggest to him to have the parts shipped to where we live and either let me try or bring it in to a local shop. I'll mention the standoffs to him though. Thank you.

also, have the power supply tested. One of my old builds had a bad power supply and was overvolting everything all the time which put too much strain on things. I was buying a new mobo every 6mo for nearly 2 years until it dawned on me that it could be the issue.

To die so quickly though sounds like the person putting it together simply dosnt know what they are doing.

Solution

kenbb1983

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
He's learning the hard way too, but the computer store replaced the first one and now he has to sign a waiver saying the next one can't be returned. He's decided to go with an Antec 750w High Current Pro PSU instead of the Cougar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS