Sign in with
Your question

Accidentally booted PC without cooler plugged in to PSU

Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2012 8:23:59 PM

Hello everyone,

As the title says, I accidentally tried booting my new computer, while in the process of building it, without having the cooler (Corsair H100) plugged in. The cooler was attached to the CPU, but I neglected to plug the connecter into my PSU on accident. As I have no hard drives attached at this stage (only CPU, RAM, and GPU) it brought me to the bios screen where it said I have no heatsink attached (which is when I noticed it was not plugged in). My question is, did I do anything that might have destroyed my CPU, and if so, how would I know or what would be the signs? I am sure this is a simple question, but I am just worried that I may have just destroyed my CPU by forgetting one simple thing for a few seconds, as many reports say you can overheat a CPU that quickly without a heatsink on. Thank you all in advance for your help!
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2012 8:25:46 PM

look for any signs of instability is about all you can do.
m
l
February 13, 2012 8:28:56 PM

What happened after you got into the bios?
m
l
February 13, 2012 8:33:22 PM

When I first booted the computer, the ASUS screen flashed a couple of times, told me there was no disk to boot from (since none were attached) then went to the American Megatrends screen where it said I had no keyboard, mouse or heatsink connected, which is when I turned the computer off. Upon plugging in the cooler to the PSU and booting it, it immediately shut of 2-3 seconds after the fans started spinning, automatically rebooted itself, and went through the same screens, with the Amer. Mega. screen just reading that there was no keyboard or mouse now (which is correct). Since this, I have just let the computer sit where it was, in fear of doing something that may damage it. What are the chances that I damaged the CPU, and how would I tell if I did so? Do CPUs simply not work period if they have been damaged in this fashion, or would they work but have decreased performance?
m
l
Related resources
!