PSP square button

I read that Sony would be fixing the sticking square button (reported as a
problem on many of the JAP released units) on the US release of the console.
Can anyone confirm that a) it has been fixed b) what has been done to fix
it - is the microswitch still off center to the button??

thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about square button

    The sticky square was a problem with the initial hardware revision,
    it's since been fixed for both Japan and the US.

    http://www.gamestm.co.uk/pma/284

    22 Feb 2005 | Handheld

    Sony solves PSP button manufacturing problem

    Despite denying there was a fault with the PSP's Square button, Sony
    has announced it has isolated and fixed the problem. Sony president Ken
    Kutaragi had claimed the positioning of the button was intentional,
    even though some gamers had said it was too close to the screen and
    therefore sometimes stuck.

    According to Sony, the problem of unresponsive Square buttons in 0.6
    per cent of the initial 510,000 PSP shipment was down to a
    manufacturing problem in the moulding and coating of the PSP's outer
    casing, where excess untrimmed resin was possibly responsible for the
    Square button catching and becoming stuck down.

    Sony is now confident the problem has been resolved and that any
    machines produced from the start of the new year should be unaffected.

    When the problem was first brought to light, Kutaragi maintained it
    wasn't a fault and was actually essential to keeping the unit's small
    size while at the same time ensuring the screen remained as large as
    possible. Kutaragi commented that the button's position was placed in
    this way "on purpose", going on to say that it was "according to
    specifications. This is something that we've created and this is our
    specification. There was a clear purpose to it and it wasn't a
    mistake."

    Aside from the problem of sticking Square buttons, Sony has also
    announced it will not be able to launch the PSP in South Korea in March
    as previously planned, with a delay of up to two months on the cards.

    The company is struggling to meet the rising worldwide demand for the
    PSP; as such, South Korea has to suffer a delay so Sony can remain on
    target for its as-yet-unchanged US release on 24 March and continue to
    satisfy its existing Japanese market, where PSPs are continuing to sell
    out as soon as they hit the shops.

    Sony is still yet to commit to a launch date for Europe, where a
    release sometime in either April or May is looking likely.

    "Billy Wizz" <keith.watson@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >I read that Sony would be fixing the sticking square button (reported as a
    > problem on many of the JAP released units) on the US release of the
    > console.
    > Can anyone confirm that a) it has been fixed b) what has been done to fix
    > it - is the microswitch still off center to the button??
    >

    > thanks

    Thats news to me..I havn't heard anyhting except sony saying the sticky
    square button is a 'feature' of the PsP...Iv'e had mine since dec and no
    problems so far.

    The sticking button problem was only on a tiny fraction of the first batch
    of consoles.
    It has now been fixed.

    Black Shuck wrote:

    > Uh, try June....

    Well, the article was written in February... I'll forgive them for
    being a little off...

    > That, and the fact the PSP has no decent writeable storage. (aside
    from
    > 1Gb max MemoryStick). That alone is a big problem for me, as it'
    aint
    > gonna hold that much content...

    On the 32 meg stick that came with mine I have stored saved games for 3
    games, 3 JPGs, a 6 MB Happy Tree Friends cartoon and 7 MP3 files. I
    have a little less than 4 MB left over.

    What you're failing to consider is that the MP4 files need to be
    down-converted for PSP resolutions. Currently the max resolution for a
    PSP MP4 is 416 x 176, but most converters use 320 x 240. Depending on
    the video quality you can get full length movies small enough to fit on
    a 256MB card, with decent quality a 512MB should do.

    - Jordan

Console Gaming Sony PlayStation Video Games