How to get rid of Start Menu Bubble

I want to get rid of the bubble that comes up *in my way* when I open the
Start Menu that says "Not enough room to show all the programs on here".
Taking programs off is not the way I want to do it, so if someone can show
me the reg hack for removing this particular bubble I'd appreciate it.

Tia,

Chad Harris

Are you using the XP style start menu, or the classic style?

Jeff

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I want to get rid of the bubble that comes up *in my way* when I open the
> Start Menu that says "Not enough room to show all the programs on here".
> Taking programs off is not the way I want to do it, so if someone can show
> me the reg hack for removing this particular bubble I'd appreciate it.
>
> Tia,
>
> Chad Harris

With the Classic Start Menu, both of these need to be UNChecked.
XP Start Menu doesn't have ? Use Personalized Menus option.

XP Start Menu >>
Right click the Start button | Properties |
Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab |
Scroll down to and UNCheck:
? Scroll Programs * |
OK | Apply | OK

Classic Start Menu >>
Right click the Start button | Properties |
Start Menu tab | Customize button |
Scroll down to and UNCheck both of these:
? Scroll Programs * |
? Use Personalized Menus **
OK | Apply | OK

[*Specifies whether to display the items on the Programs menu as one long
scrolling menu or as horizontal pages. Depending on your screen resolution,
if you have more than 29 or 38 programs installed, and you select to have
one long scrolling menu, you can access the programs you don’t see
by clicking the arrow at each end of the list of programs.]

[**Specifies whether to turn on Personalized Menus.
Personalized Menus keeps the Programs menu clean by hiding items you haven't
used recently, while still keeping other programs easily accessible. You
can gain access to hidden programs by clicking the down arrow at the bottom
of the Programs menu.]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23Dlbd6JgEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Chad Harris <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> I want to get rid of the bubble that comes up *in my way* when I open
> the Start Menu that says "Not enough room to show all the programs on
> here". Taking programs off is not the way I want to do it, so if
> someone can show me the reg hack for removing this particular bubble
> I'd appreciate it.
>
> Tia,
>
> Chad Harris

zulu

Another way is to reduce the number of primary folders in the list...
For example, put all your graphics apps in one folder, all your games (or
wharever) in another one, all your utilities (or whatever...) in another one
etc. etc.

--
¦ zulu ¦

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I want to get rid of the bubble that comes up *in my way* when I open the
> Start Menu that says "Not enough room to show all the programs on here".
> Taking programs off is not the way I want to do it, so if someone can show
> me the reg hack for removing this particular bubble I'd appreciate it.
>
> Tia,
>
> Chad Harris

Thanks Zulu good suggestion--

I agree with that. It makes perfect sense, and I'll see what I can do along
those lines. Actually nearly everything I have on the start menu could be
reached through the run box, but I feel sure there's a reg hack to zap that
particular bubble--I need to do some looking. And now there's the mini
challenge of finding it. If I find it and Jeff doesn't put it up first,
I'll post it.

Possibly, I don't know for sure the 200 or so programs I have (on All
Programs menu) may be part of the inventory that's taken in that equation.
The best article I've ever seen on organizing the All Programs menu and
consolidating them from its 4 sources is Woody Leonhard's recent book on
Time Saving Tips for XP.

But what I have on my Start menu are apps for convenience like Perfect Disk,
All the Office Apps separately, and I should look at either blowing them off
and just starting from the "activated address bar" from right clicking the
taskbar that *also* acts as a defacto runbox and starting from there are
some other solution.

Appreciate the help--that's a logical way to organize.

Chad
_____________________________

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Another way is to reduce the number of primary folders in the list...
For example, put all your graphics apps in one folder, all your games (or
wharever) in another one, all your utilities (or whatever...) in another one
etc. etc.

--
¦ zulu ¦

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I want to get rid of the bubble that comes up *in my way* when I open the
> Start Menu that says "Not enough room to show all the programs on here".
> Taking programs off is not the way I want to do it, so if someone can show
> me the reg hack for removing this particular bubble I'd appreciate it.
>
> Tia,
>
> Chad Harris

Jeff--

I should have said. I'm using the *XP start menu* with a lot of options not
on there that could be reached from other places like Printers and Fax,
Search, Run box that can be easily reached by key combos. The Classic View
probably as I look at it, wouldn't have the bubble.

Thanks,

Chad

"jeff4379" <jeff4379@news.postalias> wrote in message
Are you using the XP style start menu, or the classic style?

Jeff

"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I want to get rid of the bubble that comes up *in my way* when I open the
> Start Menu that says "Not enough room to show all the programs on here".
> Taking programs off is not the way I want to do it, so if someone can show
> me the reg hack for removing this particular bubble I'd appreciate it.
>
> Tia,
>
> Chad Harris

Chad, I would agree with Wesley Vogel's suggestion below.

> Jeff--
>
> I should have said. I'm using the *XP start menu* with a lot of options
not
> on there that could be reached from other places like Printers and Fax,
> Search, Run box that can be easily reached by key combos. The Classic
View
> probably as I look at it, wouldn't have the bubble.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chad
>

> "jeff4379" <jeff4379@news.postalias> wrote in message
> Are you using the XP style start menu, or the classic style?
>
> Jeff
>

> "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I want to get rid of the bubble that comes up *in my way* when I open
the
> > Start Menu that says "Not enough room to show all the programs on here".
> > Taking programs off is not the way I want to do it, so if someone can
show
> > me the reg hack for removing this particular bubble I'd appreciate it.
> >
> > Tia,
> >
> > Chad Harris

:)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eBYjYEVgEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
jeff4379 <jeff4379@news.postalias> hunted and pecked:
> Chad, I would agree with Wesley Vogel's suggestion below.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Jeff--
>>
>> I should have said. I'm using the *XP start menu* with a lot of
>> options not on there that could be reached from other places like
>> Printers and Fax, Search, Run box that can be easily reached by key
>> combos. The Classic View probably as I look at it, wouldn't have
>> the bubble.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chad
>>

>> "jeff4379" <jeff4379@news.postalias> wrote in message
>> Are you using the XP style start menu, or the classic style?
>>
>> Jeff
>>

>> "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I want to get rid of the bubble that comes up *in my way* when I
>>> open the Start Menu that says "Not enough room to show all the
>>> programs on here". Taking programs off is not the way I want to do
>>> it, so if someone can show me the reg hack for removing this
>>> particular bubble I'd appreciate it.
>>>
>>> Tia,
>>>
>>> Chad Harris

Wesley--

Good info as always from you. I'm working with this and I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Chad Harris

:)