Sign in with
Your question

2600k + hyper 212 EVO + prime = 90c+????

Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2012 8:33:56 PM

I feel im having issues with temps, ive searched around alot and couldnt find a really good answer.

Points you should know:
-I have reseated this heatsink 3 times all using AS5.
-Stock clocks everywhere
-Only change made was to the intel speedstep, so I would run constant.

System specs :
- I7 2600k
- CM hyper 212 EVO
- Asus P8z68-v Pro/Gen3
- Seasonic X series 750w
- Evga gtx 560ti Classified ed.
- CM HAF 932 advanced
- 16gb Kingston HyperX 1600

All temps measured by Core temp

Okay at idle I get 29c-32c with idle being 0%-2% (remember no speedstep so full throttle at idle)
Under light load such as Skyrim I get about 60c
And Prime95 in Blend I get 90+c

Now heres the kicker... In Prime95 I get to that 90+c within 20sec's
It will shoot from 30c - 60c in about 2 sec's then gradually to about 95c

Thats where I typically shut prime down.

Now I know this is not the best cooler ever, but I dont think for a stock clocked 2600k AND and upgraded cooler I should ever hit 90+.

I would love input.

--Steve
a c 141 à CPUs
February 13, 2012 8:52:23 PM

I just put together a 2600k +evo cooler with the extra fan and overclocked to 4.5ghz it hits 57c, idles at 24c. Ambient is 18c.
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
February 13, 2012 9:01:47 PM

90c seems high, at that point you would most like seeing warnings from that the processor is running hot. I don't think I have hit 65c with my Intel® Core™ i7-2600K even with the stock cooler and with the 212 + with 2 fans in a push/pull I am right now there with popatim.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2012 9:03:46 PM

Take the cooler off then re apply thermal paste then put the cooler back on making sure it is mounted properely
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2012 9:07:35 PM

check the cpu voltage using cpuz when its under load

i have the same motherboard and when it was on auto voltage with pll overvoltage enabled it was putting far

too much voltage to the cpu when it was under load

i had to manually set the voltage and disable pll overvoltage in the bios --disabling pll overvoltage also had the

side effect of stopping it doing the triple boot nonsense as well :D 

failing that, exactly how much thermal paste did you use?

as too much can be just as bad as not enough
m
l
February 13, 2012 10:17:36 PM

What should I set voltage too you think?

Will definately disable pll overvoltage.

thermal paste about a pea size drop on center of cpu for the last 2 times, the 1st time i applied a bit to the heat sink and smoothed it out similar to how the stock coolers paste looked.
m
l
February 13, 2012 10:19:51 PM

seumas_beathan said:
Take the cooler off then re apply thermal paste then put the cooler back on making sure it is mounted properely

Have done it 3 times, not doing it again unless I rule out everything else, i feel its not the cooler at this point.

I should add when I did prime95 i had set the cpu cooler fan to 100% before i started.
m
l
February 13, 2012 10:34:28 PM

Steveaw11 said:
Have done it 3 times, not doing it again unless I rule out everything else, i feel its not the cooler at this point.

I should add when I did prime95 i had set the cpu cooler fan to 100% before i started.

What was the difference in temps idle and loaded between 100% fan and normal?

If it doesnt make much difference then it's definitely heatsink mount. once i misplaced mine and even booting fan went full speed.
m
l
February 13, 2012 10:55:40 PM

only like 2deg difference at idle, at full load i notice no difference.

And this case has some BIG fans too so case flow should be good.

I disable PLL overvoltage and disabled Marvell controller (found that helps with boot times, not really relevent to topic i know)

Disabling PLL overvoltage did not help, my temps still rise like crazy from idle to about 60deg in a matter of a sec or so, then gradually over 10-15 secs hit 80ish and thats where im shutting it off now.

Watched CPU-Z for the last 2 runs on recomendation, when Prime starts doing its thing max voltage to core is 1.304,
at idle its about .976 - 1.04
m
l
February 13, 2012 11:14:29 PM

voltage seems normal if not just a bit high. mine goes to 1.25v but thats not enough to make all that difference.

If the full throttling fan doesnt make a difference it means the heatsink is not transferring heat.
Probably if you touch the heatsink it's cold.
check screws.
m
l
February 13, 2012 11:30:48 PM

wifiwolf said:
voltage seems normal if not just a bit high. mine goes to 1.25v but thats not enough to make all that difference.

If the full throttling fan doesnt make a difference it means the heatsink is not transferring heat.
Probably if you touch the heatsink it's cold.
check screws.

yeah, not sure exactly how hot/cold its supposed to be as ive never touched a heatsink while in operation.

But I did reach in carefully and touch the base of the cooler and the pipes and they are cold to the touch...
Core temp shows 35c atm of touching it
m
l
February 13, 2012 11:33:35 PM

I think imma install the stock cooler using AS5 and report back temps.

Wifiwolf you got me thinking with that last test of touching it. maybe theres something wrong with this cooler base I dunno.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
February 13, 2012 11:52:35 PM

Here's something I haven't seen mentioned yet. What program are you using to measure the temps. Could it be a bad temp reading especially if it's not giving a "thermal event problem" error.
m
l
February 14, 2012 12:12:18 AM

rds1220 said:
Here's something I haven't seen mentioned yet. What program are you using to measure the temps. Could it be a bad temp reading especially if it's not giving a "thermal event problem" error.

Core temp v. 0.99.7

Asus AI suite II shows about 10deg cooler, and does warn me when it hits 72c (coretemp would show 82c)

but even basing it off of AI suite the highest ive seen wouldve been about 85c once.

m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
February 14, 2012 12:16:27 AM

So is it shutting down? if so when you re-boot does it give you a warning that there has been a thermal event problem?
m
l
February 14, 2012 12:17:30 AM

You did install stock cooler? Tell me how it goes
m
l
February 17, 2012 10:09:11 PM

wifiwolf said:
You did install stock cooler? Tell me how it goes

Actually I decided against it. My overall goals were to OC this cpu in the end so I couldnt justify taking everything apart to install the stock heatsink.

So what I did was order an Intel RTS2011LC liquid cooler.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Since I did have a bit more faith in an Intel sponsered HiPo cooler I went ahead and OC'ed to ~4.5ghz
I have the radiator in a push/pull setup, thanks to the fan from the Hyper EVO I was able to add that puller :D 

Tested in Prime95 I got max 64deg after 15 mins reported through Coretemp
Small FFT's I got max 65deg , Large FFT's max 62deg

Also tested with passmarks burn in test v7 pro
CPU test at 100%
avg was 59deg max was 62deg

Overall im verry happy now, before on stock clocks in less than a minute I got over 90deg with the Hyper212 evo.
NOW TO NOTE: Im not saying its a bad product, mine could have been faulty, not sure how, but the possibility remains.

Thanks to all that have helped, but I now know the true culprit WAS the cooler that I had on it to begin with.
Im VERY happy with the Intel liquid cooler though, even on an OC its performing stellar!

--Steve
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:25:50 PM

Happy that you solved it although I always prefer air coolers. What's important is that your new cooler rocks for you. Regards
m
l
!