Sign in with
Your question

Will 400 Watt PSU be able to run Sparkle GTX 560!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2011 10:06:00 AM

I dont want to buy another PSU because it is expensive. :non: 
September 16, 2011 10:15:23 AM

GTX 460 Ti...? Is the name correct sir?
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:15:25 AM

There are some on this site who would say that is enough but I would not run a PSU of that power with that card.
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2011 10:28:06 AM

ionosphere said:
GTX 460 Ti...? Is the name correct sir?
Corrected. :love: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 16, 2011 10:34:13 AM

Whats the rest of the system ???
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:40:09 AM

Q6600, Intel Mobo Simple, 4 GIG Ram, 640 GIG Hard Disk, ....
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 16, 2011 10:43:19 AM

And name / model psu ? mobo is intel mobo simple ???
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:46:39 AM

You need to tell us the rest of your system first.

And now, it's GTX 560, no Ti? In that case, http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gtx-560/sp... states:

Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) : 150 W
Minimum System Power Requirement (W) : 450 W

You may wish to try to run it at full capacity first to see whether the rest of your system exceeds 400 W or not. Also, don't forget about capacitor aging. Your PSU can pump out less power over time. In the worse case, you may have to replace your PSU if it's getting too old.
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:49:28 AM

If its good brand it probably will.
560Ti normally takes abour 321W on load with a mildly oc i7 (1366 socket).
Thou you will be risking it (especially if you have more stuff like fans, etc).
You can google 3dguru 560 ti review for that information.
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:53:01 AM

So can somebody please tell me what maximum GPU (performance wise) a 400 Watt PSU runs?
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:56:53 AM

It is not enough. It may run for a while, it may cause your PC to suffer random BSOD events, it may well die and take your GPU with it. You wont really know without trying but I wouldn't run that PSU with that GPU.
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:57:50 AM

What brand of PSU is it?
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:58:37 AM

Wamphryi said:
What brand of PSU is it?
EZ Cool
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:02:27 AM

In all seriousness Dude make your next purchase a PSU. Check this PSU out. It is a 1050 watts and comes with a seven year warranty compliments of Corsair. If you score something like this your power needs will be taken care of for the next seven years.

http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/professional-...
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:03:28 AM

Wamphryi said:
It is not enough. It may run for a while, it may cause your PC to suffer random BSOD events, it may well die and take your GPU with it. You wont really know without trying but I wouldn't run that PSU with that GPU.

Take your GPU with it!? Normally, if your PSU could not provide sufficient power, your system should just instantly reboot itself, no?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 16, 2011 11:05:20 AM

6670, 450. Maybe, just maybe a 550 ti but don't think the psu can ahndle that.
But we really need to know the brand and model name of your psu to be sure.
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:05:42 AM

I found this review for the EZ Cool PSU. You have to scroll down to see it. If this guy is anything to go by EZ Cool make a poor product. A bad PSU will make your computing life a misery. Get a better PSU now and get a better GPU later. It is the logical upgrade path.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EZCOOL-650W-24Pin-Super-Silent/...
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:05:51 AM

1050 W is overkill in his system, IMO. Why don't we go for something less, since he also said in his first post that "I dont want to buy another PSU because it is expensive.".
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 16, 2011 11:07:14 AM

When the psu goes down it CAN take the rest with it.
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:08:15 AM

ionosphere said:
Take your GPU with it!? Normally, if your PSU could not provide sufficient power, your system should just instantly reboot itself, no?

It can take the GPU through a dynamic called under voltage and or surging. Clean reliable power costs a bit of money. Buy well and you can make your money go a long way. Buy badly and you can spend a lot of time and money on unwarranted dramas.
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:13:39 AM

Ok, I have realized that I need to buy PSU. Thx
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 16, 2011 11:14:28 AM

ionosphere said:
1050 W is overkill in his system, IMO. Why don't we go for something less, since he also said in his first post that "I dont want to buy another PSU because it is expensive.".

Way overkill indeed, get a 80+ certified 500 or 600W or if you ever wanne sli a 750-850W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ( not the best brand but still 80+ )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:16:55 AM

I bet you the 1050 will still be viable in seven years time were as the 650 maybe not so much. ;-)

Make sure you buy a good PSU. Corsair have done well by me and they have a seven year warranty. What more can you ask?

Get 650 watts minimum. Dont go lower to save a few dollars. The 570 GTX and up already require PSU's over 500 watts. Future proof.
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:50:01 AM

Wamphryi said:
I bet you the 1050 will still be viable in seven years time were as the 650 maybe not so much. ;-)

Make sure you buy a good PSU. Corsair have done well by me and they have a seven year warranty. What more can you ask?

Get 650 watts minimum. Dont go lower to save a few dollars. The 570 GTX and up already require PSU's over 500 watts. Future proof.

I bought a 600W PSU 6 years ago and it is still running great. At the time, the top end GPUs required PSU's over 500 watts and it was quite common to see people push +700W PSUs. As time goes on power requirements stay the same for more processing power, or power requirements drop for less processing power. Just look at Intel's tri-gate design and they are talking increased performance with less power. Yes, power requirements have increased over the last decade, but we are doing WAY with quad core processors and way more powerful GPUs.

As a note, Tom's put a GTX580 with an overclocked i5 and it drew 488-507 W depending on PSU efficiency, and it ran on a quality 450W PSU.
m
l
September 16, 2011 12:02:01 PM

nordlead said:
I bought a 600W PSU 6 years ago and it is still running great. At the time, the top end GPUs required PSU's over 500 watts and it was quite common to see people push +700W PSUs. As time goes on power requirements stay the same for more processing power, or power requirements drop for less processing power. Just look at Intel's tri-gate design and they are talking increased performance with less power. Yes, power requirements have increased over the last decade, but we are doing WAY with quad core processors and way more powerful GPUs.

As a note, Tom's put a GTX580 with an overclocked i5 and it drew 488-507 W depending on PSU efficiency, and it ran on a quality 450W PSU.

Yet it would not have the ability to add in extra HDD's in RAID Arrays or implement Crossfire or SLI. Who knows what GPU's will require in the future.
m
l
September 16, 2011 1:00:36 PM

Wamphryi said:
In all seriousness Dude make your next purchase a PSU. Check this PSU out. It is a 1050 watts and comes with a seven year warranty compliments of Corsair. If you score something like this your power needs will be taken care of for the next seven years.

http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/professional-...

this is a terrible answer. 1050 watts for gtx 560 :/  is beyond stupid, it would use twice the elctrcity a good 550watt would use due to inefficiency at low power draw, not to mention op said money was an issue. a good 550-600 watts will be fine. and will last just as long if it a good brand
to OP EZcool is a bad PSU, buy a nice 550 watt system you're good to go.
m
l
September 16, 2011 2:05:53 PM

Wamphryi said:
Yet it would not have the ability to add in extra HDD's in RAID Arrays or implement Crossfire or SLI. Who knows what GPU's will require in the future.

So, your counter to my argument that a 600W PSU can easily last 6 years is that he might want to build a massive RAID?

Seriously, buying on what ifs is a total waste of money. I can build a file server for free using parts people are throwing away, and buy a decent hardware RAID card with the $150 I'll save by not buying that massively overpowered PSU.

Also, RAID is generally a waste of time and an increased risk of data loss. If you need speed buy a SSD, if you need massive amounts of storage with real data backup a RAID doesn't help you. RAID is only really useful if you are running a huge data server, otherwise you are increasing the risk of failure and a pain in the butt to rebuild everything.
m
l
September 16, 2011 9:25:37 PM

weezys_advocate said:
this is a terrible answer. 1050 watts for gtx 560 :/  is beyond stupid, it would use twice the elctrcity a good 550watt would use due to inefficiency at low power draw, not to mention op said money was an issue. a good 550-600 watts will be fine. and will last just as long if it a good brand
to OP EZcool is a bad PSU, buy a nice 550 watt system you're good to go.

We already moved on from that. I put it up as an example of what is available but later pointed to the 650 watt.
m
l
September 16, 2011 9:27:46 PM

nordlead said:
So, your counter to my argument that a 600W PSU can easily last 6 years is that he might want to build a massive RAID?

Seriously, buying on what ifs is a total waste of money. I can build a file server for free using parts people are throwing away, and buy a decent hardware RAID card with the $150 I'll save by not buying that massively overpowered PSU.

Also, RAID is generally a waste of time and an increased risk of data loss. If you need speed buy a SSD, if you need massive amounts of storage with real data backup a RAID doesn't help you. RAID is only really useful if you are running a huge data server, otherwise you are increasing the risk of failure and a pain in the butt to rebuild everything.

My counter to your argument also included the possibility of future SLI or Crossfire configurations as well as the possibility of RAID which may or may not be a possibility over the next seven years.
m
l
September 16, 2011 9:53:05 PM

I found this useful list on what is required to run various Cards. Do take note that the amperage on the 12 Volt Rail plays an important part. Working on the assumption that the PSU is going to last seven years under warranty if need be then it may well pay to expect that later GPU's will probably be even more power hungry. A 500 watt PSU is recommended for a 560 Ti. Is is possible that the 560 Ti will not remain viable for seven years? I would think that is very likely some kind of GPU upgrade will be required. So is it better to have a PSU that will cope with future upgrades over a seven year period or is it better to replace the PSU every GPU upgrade? Buy well, buy once, save a lot of money over time.

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-...
m
l
September 17, 2011 4:44:35 AM

Buy a better psu. Zahlman makes an awsome 850 watt for under 300 bucks. Got mine for 99 on a crazy sale at microcenter. I absolutely love this thing. PSU will make or break your overall performance.
m
l
September 17, 2011 4:45:39 AM

OH what wamphri said!! couldnt have said it better myself
m
l
!