ajayjay

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hey everyone, I've been working on this issue for the past few weeks to no avail, so I figured id ask the experts instead of continuing to randomly search google.

I've got a homebuilt system running on a gigabyte pa-p55a-ud4 mobo (1156), which has been running great for the past 3 years with 4 gigs (2x2) of gskill ddr3 1333 installed. I recently tried upgrading to 8 gigs (2x4) of gskill ddr3 1600 and thats where the problems started. For some reason, my system wouldn't stay on for more than 3 minutes. It would completely power down without warning. It couldn't even handle more than 30 seconds of memtest before it did the same thing. Just turned itself off. I contacted gskill and they said to send the sticks back in as they were probably defective. So I went out and got another set of corsair ddr3 1600 and had the same issue. The PC would just power off. No error messages, no warnings, nothing to indicate what was going wrong. So just for kicks i set the corsair to 1333 instead of 1600 and it worked fine. Gave it a full night of memtest86+ and no errors.

So I figured if I updated the bios from F4 to F10 that might help. Nope. Still completely unusable. So I've gathered that for some reason my board doesn't like memory running at 1600 mhz, but I have really no idea why, or how to fix it. So any help or insight would be much appreciated. Id really like to be able to get that extra performance, but if its not in the cards I'd like to know so I can stop wasting my time trying.

ajayjay

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Yes I tried that. The RAM did default to 1333 when i installed it, and then I enabled XMP to get it to 1600. This is for the corsair. For the gskill, it defaulted to 1600 and I had the same issue with both sets.

Edit: Hmm are those few sets really the only compatible sets?

ajayjay

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

I know what youre saying but the thing is it CAN handle single 4GB modules, except when theyre configured to run at 1600. So do you think theres a transfer limit that gets breached when I set them to 1600?