Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will this psu work with my gaming system?

Last response: in Components
Share
February 13, 2012 10:41:53 PM

Hi i was just wondering if this psu would work with my gaming system. its in the link below.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

specs:
ASUS motherboard M4A88T-M
ATI radeon HD video card
8 gb ram
DVD-ROM optical drive
1 SATA hard drive
AMD Phenom II x2 ( but i can unlock the 2 extra cores)


any help would be appreciated,

thanks :bounce: 

More about : psu work gaming system

a c 83 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2012 10:53:26 PM

The link does not seem to go to a power supply, what is the make and model of the power supply you want. Also they have many Radeon card out so, what card is it.
m
0
l
February 13, 2012 11:00:20 PM

nukemaster said:
The link does not seem to go to a power supply, what is the make and model of the power supply you want. Also they have many Radeon card out so, what card is it.

it is the radeon HD 4670 and the power supply is a Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply that i found on newegg.com
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2012 11:03:24 PM

the ati 4670 hardly draws any power

the antec 430w is nothing special but reliable enough. you will have no issue since at load you won't even break 200w with that system.
m
0
l
February 13, 2012 11:06:46 PM

dirtyferret said:
the ati 4670 hardly draws any power

the antec 430w is nothing special but reliable enough. you will have no issue since at load you won't even break 200w with that system.

well i was just asking because my motherboard says i need at least a 300w psu and i currently have a 250w and whem i start it up it just shuts itself off lol
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2012 11:14:36 PM

hopefully the antec fixes the issue but your problem can be caused by a number of things including an underpowered PSU, hard to tell without more information.
m
0
l
February 13, 2012 11:22:29 PM

dirtyferret said:
hopefully the antec fixes the issue but your problem can be caused by a number of things including an underpowered PSU, hard to tell without more information.

what other problems could be causing it? because we dont wanna buy the psu for nothing and still have the problem lol
m
0
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2012 12:41:51 AM

Well a 4670 should be unable to take more then about 65 watts or so.

Can you get your power supply specs from the sticker or even a picture of it.

Not all 250 watt power supplies are the same. Some older units have more power on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails, while newer ones will place more current on the 12 volt rails(sometimes almost all of it, with the 3.3 and 5 being fed from the 12 volt rail to give compatibility with a system that needs some extra 3.3 or 5).

Since wattage is voltage(V) x current(A or AMPS), a higher number in the 5 and 3.3 volt rails does not mean it is getting more wattage

12 volts @ 10 amps = 120 watts
5 volts @ 10 amps = 50 watts
3.3 volts @ 10 amps = 33

So the 12 volt rail number will be lower, but still have more current.

To add to this, a 250 watt power supply with only 13 amps on its 12 volt rail can deliver 156 watts of 12 volt current. With 12 volts being the most used rail, that power supply will get overloaded quickly with many modern systems.

By the same right, they make 250 watt units with 20 amps on its 12 volt rail giving you 240 watts to work with. That type of power supply should handle your system just fine(don't overclock).

m
0
l
February 14, 2012 12:57:42 AM

nukemaster said:
Well a 4670 should be unable to take more then about 65 watts or so.

Can you get your power supply specs from the sticker or even a picture of it.

Not all 250 watt power supplies are the same. Some older units have more power on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails, while newer ones will place more current on the 12 volt rails(sometimes almost all of it, with the 3.3 and 5 being fed from the 12 volt rail to give compatibility with a system that needs some extra 3.3 or 5).

Since wattage is voltage(V) x current(A or AMPS), a higher number in the 5 and 3.3 volt rails does not mean it is getting more wattage

12 volts @ 10 amps = 120 watts
5 volts @ 10 amps = 50 watts
3.3 volts @ 10 amps = 33

So the 12 volt rail number will be lower, but still have more current.

To add to this, a 250 watt power supply with only 13 amps on its 12 volt rail can deliver 156 watts of 12 volt current. With 12 volts being the most used rail, that power supply will get overloaded quickly with many modern systems.

By the same right, they make 250 watt units with 20 amps on its 12 volt rail giving you 240 watts to work with. That type of power supply should handle your system just fine(don't overclock).

ok this is what my psu sticker says,
AC input (47-63HZ) 100-127V/6A
DC Output 5v=/25A +12v=/14A
+5V & +3.3V shall not exeed 165W
+5V & +12V Shall not exeed 218W
MAX OUTPUT POWER: 250W
and thats all
m
0
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2012 1:41:23 AM

Ok so you have 168 watts of 12 volt power to work with. Well assuming the 5 volt rails is not overly loaded, the distribution looks like an older style power supply.

It does seem like you would be cutting it a bit close. I mean i would need a bit more info. What is the model of the X2 cpu you have? Have you unlocked any cores?

Not all computer systems need a monster power supply, but that power supply would honestly be more suited to a less powerful system. For instance, my i5 750 system(under volted) and a 4350 card(about 1/3 the power use of your card would work on that power supply, but just and I would almost call it too close.)

The BP430 you want to use will provide 32 amps of total 12 volt power or 384 watts. That is way more then enough power.

Just want to be sure here, when does the system shut down right on boot?
does it even make it to windows?

If not, you may try to disconnect both the hard drive and dvd drive and disconnect and non needed usb devices as they can draw power from the system as well to save a bit of start up power to see if the system will post.

EDIT

IF you have unlocked any cores, please relock them for now.
m
0
l
February 14, 2012 1:52:29 AM

nukemaster said:
Ok so you have 168 watts of 12 volt power to work with. Well assuming the 5 volt rails is not overly loaded, the distribution looks like an older style power supply.

It does seem like you would be cutting it a bit close. I mean i would need a bit more info. What is the model of the X2 cpu you have? Have you unlocked any cores?

Not all computer systems need a monster power supply, but that power supply would honestly be more suited to a less powerful system. For instance, my i5 750 system(under volted) and a 4350 card(about 1/3 the power use of your card would work on that power supply, but just and I would almost call it too close.)

The BP430 you want to use will provide 32 amps of total 12 volt power or 384 watts. That is way more then enough power.

Just want to be sure here, when does the system shut down right on boot?
does it even make it to windows?

If not, you may try to disconnect both the hard drive and dvd drive and disconnect and non needed usb devices as they can draw power from the system as well to save a bit of start up power to see if the system will post.

EDIT

IF you have unlocked any cores, please relock them for now.

No i have not unlocked any cores, and no i cant make it too the desktop, it always turns off right when windows begins to boot, also i have windows vista 32-bit if that helps any
m
0
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2012 2:53:10 AM

Ok, so it does get past the post, what video card did you have on it before?

does it give a blue screen and reset or just power off.
m
0
l
February 14, 2012 10:26:06 AM

nukemaster said:
Ok, so it does get past the post, what video card did you have on it before?

does it give a blue screen and reset or just power off.

I had the same video card for like 7 months now but i just upgrded my motherboard and cpu and memory, and it shuts off a couple seconds after it says starting windows :cry: 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2012 10:35:55 AM

it could be a bad stick of RAM or your CPU cooler is not seated properly. it could also be a mobo issue. make sure the cooler is seated correctly and is tight. try using one stick of ram on boot up. it can still be your PSU but try to narrow things down to what you know works just fine.
m
0
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2012 1:09:54 PM

What did you have before?

As said above, of the cooler is not on right(did you clean and apply new thermal paste?), the cpu will heat up and then just shut off to prevent damage.

I just want to be sure about this, did you install a new board, cpu and memory and not reinstall windows?

In many cases this will cause issues as windows is not designed with being moved around in mine. Normally this will result in a blue screen error.

Bad ram can also cause blue screen errors.

I think you have a bit of testing to do.

You can enter the bios and watch the cpu temperature for a bit to see how hot it gets.
m
0
l
February 14, 2012 7:18:16 PM

nukemaster said:
What did you have before?

As said above, of the cooler is not on right(did you clean and apply new thermal paste?), the cpu will heat up and then just shut off to prevent damage.

I just want to be sure about this, did you install a new board, cpu and memory and not reinstall windows?

In many cases this will cause issues as windows is not designed with being moved around in mine. Normally this will result in a blue screen error.

Bad ram can also cause blue screen errors.

I think you have a bit of testing to do.

You can enter the bios and watch the cpu temperature for a bit to see how hot it gets.

no i did not reinstall windows but i cant, because when i try to open the dvd-rom as soon as it opens all the way it shuts immedeatly, so im not sure, and i just used the heatsink fan that came with the cpu. and there is no blue screens, and windows never finishes botting up so im not sure what to do.
m
0
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2012 7:46:03 PM

OK, so it was a new heatsink with the new cpu, for some reason i was thinking you have another heatsink. my bad

Now any time the DVD drive is opened it shuts off, yeah, you sure need to disconnect the dvd and hard drive just to see if the system will stay powered for any amount of time. While in the bios look at the temperatures.

This does sound like your power supply is not up to the task.

That would cause it to shut down like you see happening. While it is hard to make a 100% guess here, it does look to be the power supply not being able to power the system and just shutting off due to an overload.

Do you remember what cpu and board you had in the old system?
m
0
l
February 14, 2012 8:09:02 PM

nukemaster said:
OK, so it was a new heatsink with the new cpu, for some reason i was thinking you have another heatsink. my bad

Now any time the DVD drive is opened it shuts off, yeah, you sure need to disconnect the dvd and hard drive just to see if the system will stay powered for any amount of time. While in the bios look at the temperatures.

This does sound like your power supply is not up to the task.

That would cause it to shut down like you see happening. While it is hard to make a 100% guess here, it does look to be the power supply not being able to power the system and just shutting off due to an overload.

Do you remember what cpu and board you had in the old system?

no the pc dosent shut off when i open the dvd-rom drive lol what i ment was it goes back in when the dvd drive bay comes all the way out lol and i had amd semprom for a cpu in my old system
m
0
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2012 8:26:54 PM

it still sounds like you may be running out of power.

Most of the AMD Sempron cpus do not use that much power. If you know the exact model of the 2 cpus(the sempron and the x2), then it may be more easy to see how much more power one takes then the other.

If you start the system then enter the bios and sit at that screen, does the system keep running or does it still shut down after a while?
m
0
l
February 14, 2012 8:41:46 PM

nukemaster said:
it still sounds like you may be running out of power.

Most of the AMD Sempron cpus do not use that much power. If you know the exact model of the 2 cpus(the sempron and the x2), then it may be more easy to see how much more power one takes then the other.

If you start the system then enter the bios and sit at that screen, does the system keep running or does it still shut down after a while?

i have the amd phenom II x2 565 cpu but im not sure what the amd semprom was and i have a 20 pin to 24 pin convertor if that helps at all
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 83 ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2012 8:58:37 PM

Well with a x2 565 being rated at about 80 watts peak and the card in the low 60's, you are honestly getting too close. Once you add the rest of the system is added.

I still vote you are running out of power. once in windows all the power savings features would bring power use very low on that system, but the initial startup may be just too much.

unless you have a friend who has another power supply you can test, it is about the only thing i can see causing your issue.
Share
February 14, 2012 9:23:28 PM

nukemaster said:
Well with a x2 565 being rated at about 80 watts peak and the card in the low 60's, you are honestly getting too close. Once you add the rest of the system is added.

I still vote you are running out of power. once in windows all the power savings features would bring power use very low on that system, but the initial startup may be just too much.

unless you have a friend who has another power supply you can test, it is about the only thing i can see causing your issue.

ok so your basically saying i need to buy a new power supply?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b 4 Gaming
February 14, 2012 9:40:33 PM

conman765 said:
ok so your basically saying i need to buy a new power supply?


sounds like it, it also sounds like you upgraded an old emachines PC with some of those pre-upgrade specs.
m
0
l
February 14, 2012 9:46:12 PM

dirtyferret said:
sounds like it, it also sounds like you upgraded an old emachines PC with some of those pre-upgrade specs.

i actually upgrades an old compaq pc lol i just put in a new motherboard some ram and a new cpu in it
m
0
l
February 15, 2012 9:04:07 PM

nukemaster said:
Well with a x2 565 being rated at about 80 watts peak and the card in the low 60's, you are honestly getting too close. Once you add the rest of the system is added.

I still vote you are running out of power. once in windows all the power savings features would bring power use very low on that system, but the initial startup may be just too much.

unless you have a friend who has another power supply you can test, it is about the only thing i can see causing your issue.

i went ahead and ordered the power supply, and by the way it would still shut off if you left it in the bios for a while. i will tell you if the power supply worked :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 
m
0
l
February 26, 2012 3:01:13 AM

Best answer selected by Conman765.
m
0
l
!