Sign in with
Your question
Solved

"New" socket 939 motherboard that supports PCI-E?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • PCI Express
Last response: in Motherboards
December 18, 2012 6:25:35 PM

I have an old ASUS A8V that has held up quite well for all these years. It's now the kids' computer.

It still does most of what we want it to do. But, it doesn't play some of the newer games (we're talking Braid and Legend of Grimrock here, not the latest first person shooter), and it won't support a widescreen monitor. The A8V only has an AGP slot. There may be an AGP card out there there that supports PixelShader 3.0 but I doubt it.

Is there a good socket 939 replacement that supports PCI-E, that I could plop the existing Athlon X2 into? Obviously I'm looking to do this on a budget. Suggestions for a good video card--by good I mean will play kids games and support a widescreen monitor--also appreciated.

If this is a near hopeless cause, is there anything like a builders guide for a system based around ~5 year old parts, i.e. fairly cheap? If so, links appreciated.

More about : socket 939 motherboard supports pci

Best solution

a c 1184 V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 8:42:57 PM

There are cards that support Shader 3.0. There are no new boards for s939 on the market but you should be able to find some on ebay. Your CPU is though no longer going to be able to compete in modern games.
Look for HD4650/70 in AGP flavor if you want to extend the life of that rig. Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIS-ATI-Radeon-HD-4650-H465F1GH...
or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-ATI-Radeon-HD-4650-GVR...
Related resources
December 18, 2012 10:01:08 PM

Wow, I have more options than I thought. Thanks for both the suggestions.
m
l
December 18, 2012 10:01:33 PM

Best answer selected by MattWC.
m
l
January 27, 2013 12:29:19 PM

If you can spring a few extra bucks, I recommend picking up the A8N-SLI Premium instead of the Deluxe version.

The Deluxe version has a whiny fan over the Northbridge that annoys a lot of people. The Premium has a fanless design.
m
l
!