Are my parts compatible?

dannybz

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Hello Tom's,

This is my first ever time trying to custom build a moderate inexpensive desktop computer. I am running on a budget here. The below is the list of hardware that I have planned to put together, and I would like your advise whether they are compatible and would work fine. I work in quite a warm environment, no AC here but know if I can add some type of cooling system. I Don't want to run my budget over $500. I am missing a suitable case and a power supply. Your recommendations are highly welcomed. Thanks in advance.

POWER SUPPLY
• Please recommend one not less than 400 Watts

COMPUTER CASE
• Please recommend one

PROCESSOR
• AMD Athlon II X2 260

MOTHERBOARD - (can you please recommend me of the below, im lost when it comes here)
• Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P
• MSI 890GXM-G65
• ASUS M4N68T-M V2

MEMORY
• Corsair 4GB Dual DDR3 Memory Kit XMS3

VIDEO CARD - (your recomendations for any of the below is welcomed, or your personal)
• Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 210 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card GV-N210D3-1GI
• Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GT520 1 GB DDR3 DVI/VGA/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card (GV-N520OC-1GI)
• Gigabyte GeForce GT520 1 GB DDR3 DVI/VGA/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card
• GIGABYTE Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR3 DVI/D-SUB/HDMI Low Profile Graphics Card

HARD DRIVE – PRIMARY
• Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB WD3200AAKX SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 16 MB cache 3.5”

HARD DRIVE – SECONDARY
• Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB WD10EALX SATA III 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache 3.5”

DVD-ROM
• Lite-On IHAS124-04 (Black) AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

dannybz

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I want to use it for my home use, and moderate gaming. I inclded the video card because im not sure of the motherboard's graphic capacity. I want a fast computer, i usually run many programs simultaneously, so i believe the cpu put the 4gb memory will do just fine my purpose

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Personally I would be wanting nothing less than 3 cores from your CPU, so with that I would be looking at the AMD 455.

As for cards, depending on 'moderate gaming' and resolution I would be looking at GTX 460, AMD 6850, or if happy to buy second hand then a GTX260 (older but a powerful card and can be bought cheap)

Do you really need two HDDs? A single 1TB may be enough - I personally never use more than a 500gb, but then aside from games I don't have anything on my PC really.
By dropping to one HDD and also going down to a 3.0gb/s instead of 6 you can save some money (6 is not worth it anyway, an HDD is too slow to make use of the faster interface) that money could be used for getting the Triple Core CPU and a decent GPU

dannybz

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Okay, I've brought down my components to the below. But I am still missing the most important, the motherboard. Can somebody please recommend me one please that is compatible with the hardware I already have and one with additional slots in case I decide to add a video and sound cards... oh and it won't clog with the cooling fans.

I am a novice, and I don't know about what type of power supply and case to buy. There are so many, that I am getting confused. I just need one that will support all my components and won't heat that much. Please recommend me a cooling system and options.

Thanks

PROCESSOR
• AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3 Ghz AM3 - $77.99 AMAZON

MEMORY - $29.99 AMAZON
• Corsair 4GB Dual DDR3 Memory Kit XMS3

HARD DRIVE – PRIMARY - $94.99 - AMAZON
• Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 GB 3.5 Inch, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA 6 GB/s WD3200AAKX

DVD-ROM - $14.45 AMAZON
• Lite-On IHAS124-04 (Black) AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive

dannybz

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
preferably a coolmaster case and cooling system but I am lost, if this that, will it fit, clog my space? Will my power supply support all this, which is the better to get? Please help

The HAF 912 is a good budget case , and so is the Antec 300
Both are well made , unlike some of the other [too] cheap cases .

Motherboards/cases /power supplies are all standardized . If its ATX it fits . If its a micro-ATX mb it also fits in an ATX case , but obviously an ATX mb wont fit in a m-ATX case

Hold off on buying more hard drives till the prices drop IMO .

The only graphics card on your list thats really capable as a gamer is the 6850 . The 210 is a basic card that can play back video but thats about its limit . The 520 is better but not much .

This Asrock mb is $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280
It has some limitations like not being able to run two graphics cards , and no internal headers for USB 3
but it uses the latest chip sets and can be used with future AMD processors if you decide to upgrade
This one is $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262
and includes those things .

dannybz

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Do you know if the AMD Athlon X3 455 Triple-Core Processor ADX455WFGMBOX, comes with a CPU cooling fan? If not, can you recommend a good one and also a 200 mm fan for the upper part of the HAF 912 case. With that, the system will be complete. I don't think I am missing something.

Final components:

• Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Series 500W ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC Power Supply - (RS500-PCARD3-US)

• ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

I have an IDE hard drive where I used to put my backups, will the motherboard and power supply provide connections for it? I want to be able to add it as a secondary drive.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Yes that CPU comes with a cooling fan. Generally, new processors come with a heatsink and cooling fan unless the item listing says that its the CPU only.

You won't need the additional 200mm fan. The HAF 912 case comes with enough fans for the basic system that you are building.

The ASRock 970 EXTREME4 motherboard DOES NOT have an IDE connector so you will not be able to connect it. Most new motherboards no longer support the 40 pin IDE interface. However, you can get an external hard drive enclosure that will convert the IDE interface to USB so that you can access the data. I haven't had very good luck with those myself though. The better solution would be to back up all of your important data onto DVD's and then restore the data from there after installing Windows onto your new system.

BTW do you have a copy of windows that you can install on the new computer? You probably won't be able to use the activation code from your previous machine.

dannybz

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I dont have a copy of windows. An additionsl expense here. I can drop off buying the v8 cooler master cpu cooling then, i can get it afterwards along a good video card. Maybe next year.

I appreciate of you for your help. Now the next step will be installation and first boot. Will be back when i get things together.