Bluetooth and Windows XP Service Pack 1

So I went out and bought a Belkin Bluetooth USB adapter
so that I can transfer pictures from my v551 to my PC via
Bluetooth.
The Belkin software installed fine. When I went to plug
in the Bluetooth USB adapter into my USB port, I got nothing.
The Bluetooth icon in the system tray says something like
the Bluetooth device is not installed (or recognized).
The blue light on the Belkin adapter is blinking. I assume
this to mean that it has power. The Belkin site is worthless
for any type of help. The Micro$oft site has tons-o-stuff
on Bluetooth, but it all seems to deal with Service Pack 2
and mice/keyboards. Does Service Pack 1 support Bluetooth?
Any ideas out there?
14 answers Last reply
More about bluetooth windows service pack

    On 23 Feb 2005 09:39:32 -0800, SCazzo@gmail.com wrote:

    >So I went out and bought a Belkin Bluetooth USB adapter
    >so that I can transfer pictures from my v551 to my PC via
    >Bluetooth.
    >The Belkin software installed fine. When I went to plug
    >in the Bluetooth USB adapter into my USB port, I got nothing.
    >The Bluetooth icon in the system tray says something like
    >the Bluetooth device is not installed (or recognized).
    >The blue light on the Belkin adapter is blinking. I assume
    >this to mean that it has power. The Belkin site is worthless
    >for any type of help. The Micro$oft site has tons-o-stuff
    >on Bluetooth, but it all seems to deal with Service Pack 2
    >and mice/keyboards. Does Service Pack 1 support Bluetooth?
    >Any ideas out there?

    A google search reveals one of the fixes in SP2 is Bluetooth support.

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > A google search reveals one of the fixes in SP2 is Bluetooth support.
    [sni[]

    Wonderful news, but I asked about Service Pack 1. I am forced to use
    this version due to other circumstances.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > Have you installed the original Bluetooth software that Microsoft
    > distributed with their Mouse & Keyboard combo, targeted at SP1?

    Is that a patch for SP1? Would you know where or what it's name
    is on the MS site?

    > If so, then you might have to use Device Manager and try manually
    changing
    > the drivers so the OS uses the correct Belkin software.

    Is there some place that tells one how to do this?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > No, it's not. It's a driver install distributed with the hardware
    only - but
    > if you don't have the hardware or never installed the disk from
    someone,
    > then that's fine.
    >
    > I suggest you remove the Belkin software, reboot, unplug the adapter.

    > Install the software again, reboot and then plug the adapter.
    >
    > It does sound like the USB adapter was inserted BEFORE the software
    was
    > installed, which is a problem with USB devices.

    No. I followed Belkin's procedure and did NOT insert the USB device
    while installing the Belkin drivers. I have tried the install, reboot,
    un-install, re-install, boot process a couple of times. Same result
    every time. It seems that the Belkin software does not play well with
    WinXP SP1......
    Any other ideas?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    <SCazzo@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Does Service Pack 1 support Bluetooth?
    > Any ideas out there?

    Yes, in fact SP1 is considered by many to be better for bluetooth than
    SP2...
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> A google search reveals one of the fixes in SP2 is Bluetooth support.
    > [sni[]
    >
    > Wonderful news, but I asked about Service Pack 1. I am forced to use
    > this version due to other circumstances.

    Have you installed the original Bluetooth software that Microsoft
    distributed with their Mouse & Keyboard combo, targeted at SP1?

    If so, then you might have to use Device Manager and try manually changing
    the drivers so the OS uses the correct Belkin software.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    http://www.geekmac.com
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    > Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >> Have you installed the original Bluetooth software that Microsoft
    >> distributed with their Mouse & Keyboard combo, targeted at SP1?
    >
    > Is that a patch for SP1? Would you know where or what it's name
    > is on the MS site?
    >

    >> If so, then you might have to use Device Manager and try manually
    > changing
    >> the drivers so the OS uses the correct Belkin software.
    >
    > Is there some place that tells one how to do this?

    No, it's not. It's a driver install distributed with the hardware only - but
    if you don't have the hardware or never installed the disk from someone,
    then that's fine.

    I suggest you remove the Belkin software, reboot, unplug the adapter.
    Install the software again, reboot and then plug the adapter.

    It does sound like the USB adapter was inserted BEFORE the software was
    installed, which is a problem with USB devices.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    http://www.geekmac.com
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > I think the OP was refering to OS native support. Bluetooth can be
    used with
    > any Windows OS from 98 through Server 2003 - with the correct
    drivers.

    > What I've seem (it doesn't seem to be this case) is a lot of people
    asking
    > for help "My Bluetooth doesn't work" just fo find out that he/she is
    trying
    > to install modified drivers from another supplier.
    >
    > In those cases I really can't understand why the person is trying to
    install
    > a hacked driver. If the user has no experience with low level OS
    > maintenance, better not touch these things.

    [snip]
    No, I (the OP) was referring to the driver software that came with
    the Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter. That is the software that does not
    work (so far) with Win XP SP1. I was not asking about OS native support
    for Bluetooth. I did test out today on a Win2000 system that the
    adapter
    and it's driver work correctly with Win2000. Now if I could only get it
    to work on my Win XP SP1 box......
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    "Bob the Printer" <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > <SCazzo@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Does Service Pack 1 support Bluetooth?
    >> Any ideas out there?
    >>

    > Yes, in fact SP1 is considered by many to be better for bluetooth than
    > SP2...

    SP1 does not support Bluetooth. It is only available if you have the CD
    distributed with the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard. Even so, the support was
    limited to serial profile, dial-up and printing.

    Native OS support is only available from SP2 onwards, with additional
    profiles included.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    http://www.geekmac.com
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    "Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Bob the Printer" <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote in message
    SNIP

    > SP1 does not support Bluetooth. It is only available if you have the CD
    > distributed with the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard. Even so, the support
    > was limited to serial profile, dial-up and printing.
    >
    > Native OS support is only available from SP2 onwards, with additional
    > profiles included.

    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    > http://www.geekmac.com

    While this is true you can install drivers from the Belkin CD and use
    Bluetooth with SP1. I did this for many months with 2 separate Belkin
    dongles. I might also add that the native support under SP2 does not work
    well with the Belkin device and you basically have to replace the Windows
    drivers with the Belkin drivers anyway to get full functionality.

    The first thing I would try is what Mauricio indicated above and that is
    uninstall, reboot, reinstall. I would also advise that you disable your
    Virus scanning SW while doing the install. I have seen cases where it tends
    to intefere with the driver installation even though it gives no indication.
    Also, if there are any other programs running, even in the background,
    disable them before installing the drivers.

    Once you do that if you continue to have problems let us know what the error
    symptoms are and we might be able to help resolve any issues.

    Cheers
    TC
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Bob the Printer" <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > SNIP
    >

    >> SP1 does not support Bluetooth. It is only available if you have the CD
    >> distributed with the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard. Even so, the support
    >> was limited to serial profile, dial-up and printing.
    >>
    >> Native OS support is only available from SP2 onwards, with additional
    >> profiles included.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
    >> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    >> http://www.geekmac.com
    >

    > While this is true you can install drivers from the Belkin CD and use
    > Bluetooth with SP1. I did this for many months with 2 separate Belkin
    > dongles. I might also add that the native support under SP2 does not work
    > well with the Belkin device and you basically have to replace the Windows
    > drivers with the Belkin drivers anyway to get full functionality.
    >
    > The first thing I would try is what Mauricio indicated above and that is
    > uninstall, reboot, reinstall. I would also advise that you disable your
    > Virus scanning SW while doing the install. I have seen cases where it
    > tends to intefere with the driver installation even though it gives no
    > indication. Also, if there are any other programs running, even in the
    > background, disable them before installing the drivers.
    >
    > Once you do that if you continue to have problems let us know what the
    > error symptoms are and we might be able to help resolve any issues.
    >
    > Cheers
    > TC

    I think the OP was refering to OS native support. Bluetooth can be used with
    any Windows OS from 98 through Server 2003 - with the correct drivers.

    What I've seem (it doesn't seem to be this case) is a lot of people asking
    for help "My Bluetooth doesn't work" just fo find out that he/she is trying
    to install modified drivers from another supplier.

    In those cases I really can't understand why the person is trying to install
    a hacked driver. If the user has no experience with low level OS
    maintenance, better not touch these things.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    http://www.geekmac.com

  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    > [snip]
    > No, I (the OP) was referring to the driver software that came with
    > the Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter. That is the software that does not
    > work (so far) with Win XP SP1. I was not asking about OS native support
    > for Bluetooth. I did test out today on a Win2000 system that the
    > adapter
    > and it's driver work correctly with Win2000. Now if I could only get it
    > to work on my Win XP SP1 box......

    Ok, reading the OP again... The question was "Does Service Pack 1 support
    Bluetooth?"

    So, the answer is "Not natively. With manufacturer supplied drivers yes".

    The problems you're having with the Belkin software may be a conflict with
    other software installed. Going back in the thread there's a mention to
    Norton. Are you using it? Have you created rules to allow btstack.exe to
    communicate?

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz
    http://www.geekmac.com
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > Ok, reading the OP again... The question was "Does Service Pack 1
    support
    > Bluetooth?"
    >
    > So, the answer is "Not natively. With manufacturer supplied drivers
    yes".

    > The problems you're having with the Belkin software may be a conflict
    with
    > other software installed. Going back in the thread there's a mention
    > Norton. Are you using it? Have you created rules to allow btstack.exe
    > communicate?

    [snip]
    Well I can now say that WinXP SP1 works with my Belkin Bluetooth
    USB adapter. I might have had two problems.
    1. I was plugging the USB adapter into one of my front USB
    ports on my Dell PC. It may not have been making full contact,
    cause I went out and bought a USB 4 port hub and plugged that
    into my USB port of the PC, and THEN plugged my Bluetooth USB
    adapter into the hub. Viola! Windows all of a sudden saw a
    Bluetooth device out there......
    2. I re-installed the Belkin driver with Norton off and Zone
    Alarm off. When I rebooted and used my USB hub with the Belkin
    Adapter, ZoneAlarm asked me if I would allow 3 different apps
    (with names like BTxxx) to access the Internet. So I'm guessing
    that ZoneAlarm might have contributed to my problem.

    Anyways, thanks to all that helped me out. Hopefully my summary
    above may help others out who run into the same problem.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    SCazzo@gmail.com wrote:
    > Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >> Ok, reading the OP again... The question was "Does Service Pack 1
    >> support Bluetooth?"
    >>
    >> So, the answer is "Not natively. With manufacturer supplied drivers
    >> yes".
    >>
    >> The problems you're having with the Belkin software may be a
    >> conflict with other software installed. Going back in the thread
    >> there's a mention to Norton. Are you using it? Have you created
    >> rules to allow btstack.exe to communicate?
    >
    > [snip]
    > Well I can now say that WinXP SP1 works with my Belkin Bluetooth
    > USB adapter. I might have had two problems.
    > 1. I was plugging the USB adapter into one of my front USB
    > ports on my Dell PC. It may not have been making full contact,
    > cause I went out and bought a USB 4 port hub and plugged that
    > into my USB port of the PC, and THEN plugged my Bluetooth USB
    > adapter into the hub. Viola! Windows all of a sudden saw a
    > Bluetooth device out there......
    > 2. I re-installed the Belkin driver with Norton off and Zone
    > Alarm off. When I rebooted and used my USB hub with the Belkin
    > Adapter, ZoneAlarm asked me if I would allow 3 different apps
    > (with names like BTxxx) to access the Internet. So I'm guessing
    > that ZoneAlarm might have contributed to my problem.
    >
    > Anyways, thanks to all that helped me out. Hopefully my summary
    > above may help others out who run into the same problem.

    Interesting.... There have been other reports of the front USB ports on
    some Dell desktops being incompatible with some USB plugs due to a
    dimensional difference -- being deeper to the contacts than they should
    be.

Bluetooth Belkin Windows XP