Bluetooth and Windows XP Service Pack 1

Last response: in Technologies
February 23, 2005 12:39:32 PM

So I went out and bought a Belkin Bluetooth USB adapter
so that I can transfer pictures from my v551 to my PC via
Bluetooth.
The Belkin software installed fine. When I went to plug
in the Bluetooth USB adapter into my USB port, I got nothing.
The Bluetooth icon in the system tray says something like
the Bluetooth device is not installed (or recognized).
The blue light on the Belkin adapter is blinking. I assume
this to mean that it has power. The Belkin site is worthless
for any type of help. The Micro$oft site has tons-o-stuff
on Bluetooth, but it all seems to deal with Service Pack 2
and mice/keyboards. Does Service Pack 1 support Bluetooth?
Any ideas out there?
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:54:45 PM

On 23 Feb 2005 09:39:32 -0800, SCazzo@gmail.com wrote:

>So I went out and bought a Belkin Bluetooth USB adapter
>so that I can transfer pictures from my v551 to my PC via
>Bluetooth.
>The Belkin software installed fine. When I went to plug
>in the Bluetooth USB adapter into my USB port, I got nothing.
>The Bluetooth icon in the system tray says something like
>the Bluetooth device is not installed (or recognized).
>The blue light on the Belkin adapter is blinking. I assume
>this to mean that it has power. The Belkin site is worthless
>for any type of help. The Micro$oft site has tons-o-stuff
>on Bluetooth, but it all seems to deal with Service Pack 2
>and mice/keyboards. Does Service Pack 1 support Bluetooth?
>Any ideas out there?

A google search reveals one of the fixes in SP2 is Bluetooth support.
February 23, 2005 1:31:28 PM

Evan Platt wrote:
> A google search reveals one of the fixes in SP2 is Bluetooth support.
[sni[]

Wonderful news, but I asked about Service Pack 1. I am forced to use
this version due to other circumstances.
February 24, 2005 10:08:45 AM

Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> Have you installed the original Bluetooth software that Microsoft
> distributed with their Mouse & Keyboard combo, targeted at SP1?

Is that a patch for SP1? Would you know where or what it's name
is on the MS site?

> If so, then you might have to use Device Manager and try manually
changing
> the drivers so the OS uses the correct Belkin software.

Is there some place that tells one how to do this?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 4:11:44 PM

Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> No, it's not. It's a driver install distributed with the hardware
only - but
> if you don't have the hardware or never installed the disk from
someone,
> then that's fine.
>
> I suggest you remove the Belkin software, reboot, unplug the adapter.

> Install the software again, reboot and then plug the adapter.
>
> It does sound like the USB adapter was inserted BEFORE the software
was
> installed, which is a problem with USB devices.

No. I followed Belkin's procedure and did NOT insert the USB device
while installing the Belkin drivers. I have tried the install, reboot,
un-install, re-install, boot process a couple of times. Same result
every time. It seems that the Belkin software does not play well with
WinXP SP1......
Any other ideas?
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:46:59 PM

<SCazzo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does Service Pack 1 support Bluetooth?
> Any ideas out there?

Yes, in fact SP1 is considered by many to be better for bluetooth than
SP2...
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:53:56 PM

> Evan Platt wrote:
>> A google search reveals one of the fixes in SP2 is Bluetooth support.
> [sni[]
>
> Wonderful news, but I asked about Service Pack 1. I am forced to use
> this version due to other circumstances.

Have you installed the original Bluetooth software that Microsoft
distributed with their Mouse & Keyboard combo, targeted at SP1?

If so, then you might have to use Device Manager and try manually changing
the drivers so the OS uses the correct Belkin software.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 10:34:10 AM

> Mauricio Freitas wrote:
>> Have you installed the original Bluetooth software that Microsoft
>> distributed with their Mouse & Keyboard combo, targeted at SP1?
>
> Is that a patch for SP1? Would you know where or what it's name
> is on the MS site?
>

>> If so, then you might have to use Device Manager and try manually
> changing
>> the drivers so the OS uses the correct Belkin software.
>
> Is there some place that tells one how to do this?

No, it's not. It's a driver install distributed with the hardware only - but
if you don't have the hardware or never installed the disk from someone,
then that's fine.

I suggest you remove the Belkin software, reboot, unplug the adapter.
Install the software again, reboot and then plug the adapter.

It does sound like the USB adapter was inserted BEFORE the software was
installed, which is a problem with USB devices.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 4:41:41 PM

Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> I think the OP was refering to OS native support. Bluetooth can be
used with
> any Windows OS from 98 through Server 2003 - with the correct
drivers.

> What I've seem (it doesn't seem to be this case) is a lot of people
asking
> for help "My Bluetooth doesn't work" just fo find out that he/she is
trying
> to install modified drivers from another supplier.
>
> In those cases I really can't understand why the person is trying to
install
> a hacked driver. If the user has no experience with low level OS
> maintenance, better not touch these things.

[snip]
No, I (the OP) was referring to the driver software that came with
the Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter. That is the software that does not
work (so far) with Win XP SP1. I was not asking about OS native support
for Bluetooth. I did test out today on a Win2000 system that the
adapter
and it's driver work correctly with Win2000. Now if I could only get it
to work on my Win XP SP1 box......
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:02:25 PM

"Bob the Printer" <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote in message

> <SCazzo@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does Service Pack 1 support Bluetooth?
>> Any ideas out there?
>>

> Yes, in fact SP1 is considered by many to be better for bluetooth than
> SP2...

SP1 does not support Bluetooth. It is only available if you have the CD
distributed with the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard. Even so, the support was
limited to serial profile, dial-up and printing.

Native OS support is only available from SP2 onwards, with additional
profiles included.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:02:26 PM

"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> "Bob the Printer" <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote in message
SNIP

> SP1 does not support Bluetooth. It is only available if you have the CD
> distributed with the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard. Even so, the support
> was limited to serial profile, dial-up and printing.
>
> Native OS support is only available from SP2 onwards, with additional
> profiles included.

> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> http://www.geekmac.com

While this is true you can install drivers from the Belkin CD and use
Bluetooth with SP1. I did this for many months with 2 separate Belkin
dongles. I might also add that the native support under SP2 does not work
well with the Belkin device and you basically have to replace the Windows
drivers with the Belkin drivers anyway to get full functionality.

The first thing I would try is what Mauricio indicated above and that is
uninstall, reboot, reinstall. I would also advise that you disable your
Virus scanning SW while doing the install. I have seen cases where it tends
to intefere with the driver installation even though it gives no indication.
Also, if there are any other programs running, even in the background,
disable them before installing the drivers.

Once you do that if you continue to have problems let us know what the error
symptoms are and we might be able to help resolve any issues.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:17:41 PM

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p qGTd.5513$873.4984@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Bob the Printer" <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote in message
> SNIP
>

>> SP1 does not support Bluetooth. It is only available if you have the CD
>> distributed with the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard. Even so, the support
>> was limited to serial profile, dial-up and printing.
>>
>> Native OS support is only available from SP2 onwards, with additional
>> profiles included.
>>
>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>> http://www.geekmac.com
>

> While this is true you can install drivers from the Belkin CD and use
> Bluetooth with SP1. I did this for many months with 2 separate Belkin
> dongles. I might also add that the native support under SP2 does not work
> well with the Belkin device and you basically have to replace the Windows
> drivers with the Belkin drivers anyway to get full functionality.
>
> The first thing I would try is what Mauricio indicated above and that is
> uninstall, reboot, reinstall. I would also advise that you disable your
> Virus scanning SW while doing the install. I have seen cases where it
> tends to intefere with the driver installation even though it gives no
> indication. Also, if there are any other programs running, even in the
> background, disable them before installing the drivers.
>
> Once you do that if you continue to have problems let us know what the
> error symptoms are and we might be able to help resolve any issues.
>
> Cheers
> TC

I think the OP was refering to OS native support. Bluetooth can be used with
any Windows OS from 98 through Server 2003 - with the correct drivers.

What I've seem (it doesn't seem to be this case) is a lot of people asking
for help "My Bluetooth doesn't work" just fo find out that he/she is trying
to install modified drivers from another supplier.

In those cases I really can't understand why the person is trying to install
a hacked driver. If the user has no experience with low level OS
maintenance, better not touch these things.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 3:09:35 PM

> [snip]
> No, I (the OP) was referring to the driver software that came with
> the Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter. That is the software that does not
> work (so far) with Win XP SP1. I was not asking about OS native support
> for Bluetooth. I did test out today on a Win2000 system that the
> adapter
> and it's driver work correctly with Win2000. Now if I could only get it
> to work on my Win XP SP1 box......

Ok, reading the OP again... The question was "Does Service Pack 1 support
Bluetooth?"

So, the answer is "Not natively. With manufacturer supplied drivers yes".

The problems you're having with the Belkin software may be a conflict with
other software installed. Going back in the thread there's a mention to
Norton. Are you using it? Have you created rules to allow btstack.exe to
communicate?

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
http://www.geekmac.com
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 9:24:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth,alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> Ok, reading the OP again... The question was "Does Service Pack 1
support
> Bluetooth?"
>
> So, the answer is "Not natively. With manufacturer supplied drivers
yes".

> The problems you're having with the Belkin software may be a conflict
with
> other software installed. Going back in the thread there's a mention
> Norton. Are you using it? Have you created rules to allow btstack.exe
> communicate?

[snip]
Well I can now say that WinXP SP1 works with my Belkin Bluetooth
USB adapter. I might have had two problems.
1. I was plugging the USB adapter into one of my front USB
ports on my Dell PC. It may not have been making full contact,
cause I went out and bought a USB 4 port hub and plugged that
into my USB port of the PC, and THEN plugged my Bluetooth USB
adapter into the hub. Viola! Windows all of a sudden saw a
Bluetooth device out there......
2. I re-installed the Belkin driver with Norton off and Zone
Alarm off. When I rebooted and used my USB hub with the Belkin
Adapter, ZoneAlarm asked me if I would allow 3 different apps
(with names like BTxxx) to access the Internet. So I'm guessing
that ZoneAlarm might have contributed to my problem.

Anyways, thanks to all that helped me out. Hopefully my summary
above may help others out who run into the same problem.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:35:22 PM

SCazzo@gmail.com wrote:
> Mauricio Freitas wrote:
>> Ok, reading the OP again... The question was "Does Service Pack 1
>> support Bluetooth?"
>>
>> So, the answer is "Not natively. With manufacturer supplied drivers
>> yes".
>>
>> The problems you're having with the Belkin software may be a
>> conflict with other software installed. Going back in the thread
>> there's a mention to Norton. Are you using it? Have you created
>> rules to allow btstack.exe to communicate?
>
> [snip]
> Well I can now say that WinXP SP1 works with my Belkin Bluetooth
> USB adapter. I might have had two problems.
> 1. I was plugging the USB adapter into one of my front USB
> ports on my Dell PC. It may not have been making full contact,
> cause I went out and bought a USB 4 port hub and plugged that
> into my USB port of the PC, and THEN plugged my Bluetooth USB
> adapter into the hub. Viola! Windows all of a sudden saw a
> Bluetooth device out there......
> 2. I re-installed the Belkin driver with Norton off and Zone
> Alarm off. When I rebooted and used my USB hub with the Belkin
> Adapter, ZoneAlarm asked me if I would allow 3 different apps
> (with names like BTxxx) to access the Internet. So I'm guessing
> that ZoneAlarm might have contributed to my problem.
>
> Anyways, thanks to all that helped me out. Hopefully my summary
> above may help others out who run into the same problem.

Interesting.... There have been other reports of the front USB ports on
some Dell desktops being incompatible with some USB plugs due to a
dimensional difference -- being deeper to the contacts than they should
be.