Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Rig. $1-2000.00

Last response: in Systems
November 14, 2011 1:25:51 AM

Hello everybody, Looking for a little help building a new rig for Skyrim + future games

Purchase Date: 2-6 months from now.

Budget Range: $1,000-$2,000.

System Usage From Most to Least Important: Gaming, Web Surfing, Movies.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, OS.

Prefered Website For Parts: Newegg.

Overclocking: I would like to learn how if it's worth it.

Sli/Crossfire: One day maybe, is it really necissary?

Monitor Resolution: See additional comments below.

Additional Comments: Budget aside, i was thinking of getting a TV to use in place of a monitor. Is this wise? Will the picture be any better?

Also, someone was telling me that Plasma was better for gaming. Is this true?
Either way, what do i look for in a good gaming TV? Im getting a GTX580 if that helps any.

Parts to Build Around: As said above, i'm planning to buy a GTX580. However i noticed that more than a few "carriers" have adopted the card (EVGA, Asus, etc.) Any tips on which one I should get?

I'm also stuck between the i5 2600k and the i7 2600k. Keep in mind this is primarily a gaming rig - so I don't think i'd really be taking advantage of any hyperthreading.

I did notice however that the L2 cache (whatever that is) is higher on the i7. Aside from Hyperthreading, what kind of difference would i notice between these two while gaming?

So - GTX580 and i5 2600k / i7 2600k are the only parts i have selected for this machine. I don't know much about computers so i'm not sure what other parts would properly compliment these pieces.

On a final note, I think I want to go with a SSD rather than a HDD. However, i don't want to spend more than $350 on one. That'll get me about 160-180gb storage if i'm right? Aside from storage, i'm not sure what makes for a good drive. And if a budget of $2000 will leave my system bottlenecked after the SSD, GPU, and PCU - I'm willing to spend a little more. (doubtfully since those are usually the only pieces that'll bottleneck a system if i'm right)

Sorry for the loaded post, And i appreciate all feedback. :) 

More about : gaming rig 2000

November 14, 2011 6:54:10 AM

what is your monitor's resolution?
m
l
November 14, 2011 7:06:27 AM

Not sure, haven't picked one out yet.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2011 7:12:05 AM

Ok so if you go for a 27" and higher the 580 is for you, if you get a 22-24" then the 570.
In either cases you won't be needing the 2600k
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
November 14, 2011 8:26:39 AM

2-6 months is pretty long time. Prices would have changed by then.
m
l
November 14, 2011 8:34:10 AM

+1 to vx53c

Go with the i5-2500K*

Also, you really don't need the 580 as vx53c said based on your resolution. If you do decide to go with the 580, MSI is my personal favorite. But EVGA and ASUS are also good brands. Also, make sure you pay attention to your GPU output (MHz) in the specs. I believe the MSI 580 is 830, while EVGA is around 797 or something like that.

From my personal experience, Plasma TVs are crap. Granted resolution wise they are perfect for gaming. But they have a short lifespan (approx. 2 years) and they tend to give out. I would still stick with an HDTV LCD screen.

Oh and btw, you are gonna want a back up HDD, even if it's like a 500GB.
m
l
November 14, 2011 10:43:47 AM

Thank you everyone for your reply's.

After reading Area85's post, I'll probably end up getting an HDTV LCD at Best Buy. I'm almost sure I'm going to grab something bigger than 27''.

Out of curiosity, why will I need a backup HDD?

Also, I should note that it'll probably be within 2 months. 6 months was more of an "at most".
I don't mind if things drop a little in price, I just wanted to get a list together so I know how much (at most) I need to stash away over the next couple months, and also to have a solid idea of what parts I'm going to purchase.
m
l
November 14, 2011 1:30:07 PM

Best Buy for the most part, IMO, is over-priced. Search around online and I'm sure you can find a better deal for what you want.

Also, you're not going to want to overload your SSD. You are already looking at the OS, Applications, and Games on it. So any other files (music, images, etc) you will want to put on the HDD. It doesn't bog down your SSD and the HDD will be more than sufficient to run at optimal speeds with the small file sizes.
m
l
November 15, 2011 1:41:30 AM

Area85Gaming said:
Best Buy for the most part, IMO, is over-priced. Search around online and I'm sure you can find a better deal for what you want.

Also, you're not going to want to overload your SSD. You are already looking at the OS, Applications, and Games on it. So any other files (music, images, etc) you will want to put on the HDD. It doesn't bog down your SSD and the HDD will be more than sufficient to run at optimal speeds with the small file sizes.

Know of a good site to shop?

Also, anyone know what's up with the 28nm chips that are coming out? Are they supposed to blow the 580 out of the water? Was wondering if I should wait till the 580's price drops after the 28nm chips come out, or if I should just get one of the new chips?
m
l
!