Forgot to plug in CPU fan

scjoarz

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Hi, I just purchased an Intel i5-2500 processor a few days ago, and installed it. The installation process for the push pin heat sinks were a pain so I had to take it out and redo it a couple of times. I finally got the thing installed and figured I'd take the computer for a test run of Skyrim for a while (played 3 hours!!!) with no issues.

The next day my I boot up my computer and just happen to look into one of my computer vents and notice that the CPU fan isn't spinning. I pop open the fan, and the CPU fan isn't even plugged in. This is after 3 hours of Skyrim the day before. No crashes yet or anything. I thought my computer was designed to shut down before the CPU reached a dangerous temperature. Also it's still booting up and running (for now). Does this mean my CPU is OK or is it time to buy a new one?

Solution
I would say its ok.

Modern Intel CPU's will downclock themselves to prevent thermal issues when temps get high.

The temperature in the room must have been quite low as well.

make sure its plugged in and keep going id say you dodged a bullet there.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
I would say its ok.

Modern Intel CPU's will downclock themselves to prevent thermal issues when temps get high.

The temperature in the room must have been quite low as well.

make sure its plugged in and keep going id say you dodged a bullet there.

Solution
tipper makes a excellent point, but speaking on his behalf i can tell you sir consider those 3 hours just lucky and plug in the CPU fan. because the computer its best if you use the fan it comes with. I mean we all know that just a block of aluminum and copper isnt gonna fully do the trick. You need some AIR!.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
As Hugo mentionned modern CPU's throttle down until temperatures lowers, then they all full cpu, throttle back down, etc

I did it for fun once with a Core 2 Duo... at 90c it would slow down until temperature lowered, then ramp backup..

Should be fine, you would of prb noticed if it had any permanent damage

scjoarz

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Thanks for the replies. The temp in the room is around 70 F. Will CPU damage cause immediate computer problems or is it possible to not see performance issues until months down the road?