Blu Ray drive question

Duker

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Hey Everyone,

I can't seem to get one consist answer from colleagues, so I'm reaching out to you for your advice.

I have an ASUS HD 6850 (Model #EAH6850) and I've connected my system to my receiver (Denon 2310) via HDMI and I watch movies on my LG tv, which is also HDMI.

My question is:
a) Can I install a blu ray drive and stream blu ray movies to watch on my tv? Or are the limitations that I might not be aware of?

b) My concern is the fact the HDMI cable (35 feet) is a year or so old and I don't remember what version cable it is. Does it have to be a specific version for it all to work properly?

thanks very much.

Solution
If you consider the cost:
1) PC BluRay player or burner, and
2) BluRay compatible software

You'd likely be better off buying a standalone BluRay player made for HDTV's. You'll get a nice remote and won't have to fiddle with your computer, not to mention the PC noise.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
As long as your Receiver is HDCP compliant, then you should be OK. The 6850 is HDCP ready, as I imagine your TV is too, but just be sure that your receiver is as well.

Assuming that all of your devices are HDCP compliant, you should be just fine.

In regards to your 2nd concern, the length of the hdmi cable, I'm sure it's fine. As long as it's version 1.3, you're OK.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Actually, you don't need version 1.3 cables. v1.1-1.3 are all essentially the same just tested at various bandwidths. For short runs a v1.1 cable can work at v1.3 specifications, but it isn't guaranteed (35ft is short). Also, v1.1 is capable of Blu-Ray + 8 channel LPCM. If you bought a HDMI cable in the last year it is probably v1.3

Your Receiver is HDMI 1.3a compliant so no problems there.

If you consider the cost:
1) PC BluRay player or burner, and
2) BluRay compatible software

You'd likely be better off buying a standalone BluRay player made for HDTV's. You'll get a nice remote and won't have to fiddle with your computer, not to mention the PC noise.

Solution

dontcrosthestreams

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
ya power dvd 11 and arcsofts software dont work at all on ati/amd cards past driver 10.6. they dont tell you this up front, it took me 21 man hours to find a disclaimer on either parties web sites. the free 30 day demos are moded to trick you into thinking they work, until you pay 100 for the crap software and find out its useless....buy a stand alone br player, after waiting 30 days to get my money back i went to fred meyer and got a 90$ BR player

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

If you have no other PC need for a bluray drive, then yes, I'd get a standalone player since it will be a lot more convenient for roughly the same price.