Old system current equivalent?

execut1ve

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Hello everyone,

My brother is interested in putting together a gaming computer based on my current build. The problem is, I built the computer back in 2006-2007 and I'm not at all sure what the current equivalent is in terms of performance. So I lay it before you to tell me what current components would give me equivalent performance!

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD Athlon 6000+ x2 processor
2x EVGA 8800gt SLI
2x2G Kingston value ram
Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200rmp 160G hd

Thanks for reading!

Even a low priced sandy bridge cpu such as the G620 will do better than the athlon 6000.

On the graphics, I am guessing that sli 8800gt is somewhat comparable to a GTX550. A single card has the qualitative advantage of no microstuttering.

ram is cheap, most sandy bridge builds will include 2 x 4gb of ram for about $40.

Hard drives have not changed much. WD blue is still around, but it comes in larger sizes like 1tb which perform better.
If only 160gb of capacity is ok, spend a bit and get a SSD.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006

Why wouldnt you want Better performance than a 4 year old computer? Not trying to tell you what you want, but a new build based on old goals doesn't seem to make sense. If that is what you are after though, probably the slowest AthlonII available on Newegg would be an equivalent CPU, or probably a bit better. As far as a graphics card, just a guess but maybe a GTX550Ti, anything more would be bottlenecked by the processor anyways

TRENDING THREADS