Is this a 32 bit or 64bit m/c?

jadhav333

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I have a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz on a Intel S979XBX2 motherboard.

1) Can somebody pls tell me if this is a 32 bit or 64bit machine?

2) How can we ascertain the same? is there any setting or report that we can check on our system?

3) Is the abovementioned system capable of running 64bit OSs?

4) Is the latest version of Ubuntu 8.04, a 64bit OS?

Thanks

1. can't be answered so easily. The machine is x64 capable but that does not mean it's running that way.

2. Depends on the system. the O.S. will determine what mode the pc runs in. But usually yes there is.

3. see answer 1.

4. can't help you there. most x64 linux distros will clearly say it. If you didn't notice it then you prolly got the 32bit or x86 release. (same diff)

jadhav333

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I am planning to download a 64bit version of Ubuntu Linux.

I need to verify if this machine is capable of running a 64bit OS, before I venture to download 700+ Mb of data. :)

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
DONT USE 64 BIT UBUNTU!!!!!!! Have it on my laptop, if you want crappy peripheral support and NO flash animation/video (no youtube, virtually any web video) then have at 'er. Go for 32 bit, its actually a decently functioning OS other than Windows/OSX, heck it networks better than Vista does (why the UFKC does vista not communicate with xp??!?!?!?!). I dont think anyone is going to recommend 64 bit anything from linux. I can tell you're not a hardcore linux user since you had to ask the questions regarding this thread. If you MUST go 64 bit ubuntu get familiar with console, learn some python and prepare yourself with the prospect of spending ages of time getting stuff to work properly on it.

32 bit Ubuntu for the win!, 64 but Ubuntu is FAIL!

Mondoman

Splendid
Fortunately, the OP can try running 64-bit Ubuntu before installing by just booting from the 64-bit Ubuntu CD. No need to worry or listen to scare-mongers, just try it and see if it works on your system.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

It can run either, 32/64 bit.

Any OS should be able to provide you the info on if it is 32 or 64 bit. If you don't know the OS, then you need to figure out how to get that info.

Yes

Again, it can run 64bit software. I'm not familiar with Ubuntu, but that doesn't matter. It will run 32 or 64 bit.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

You can easily install 32-bit Firefox, Flash will run from there. Its perfectly fine even for Linux novices like me... Fedora 64 seems to be more challeging. If you have any questions, post in the Linux section.

Its not that hard. Nicely ask Linux_0 down in the Linux/Free BSD section and he'll gladly point you to the code required. Copy and paste. =)

EJ