Monitor flickering, going black

filthychook

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
So today I got an LG L196WTQ-WF from a family friend who didn't want her computer or monitor anymore, and I'm using it as a second monitor. But the problem is it's flickering a *** load and also turning black for a couple of seconds and then lighting back up and flickering again, when it goes black the power remains on. I've seen this monitor working like an hour ago on a different computer, so I know it's not the monitor that's broken, and seeing as I'm running two monitors on my graphics card (Radeon 5770) I'm assuming it's not the graphics card, but hey, maybe I'm wrong, I'm no expert.

Any help would be great.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like your "new" monitor may be defective. Before declaring it deceased, I suggest you go into its menu and see if you can set it to its original default configuration. You could have a configuration issue in the monitor itself (not likely, but possible).

Do you have another PC/notebook to connect to for troubleshooting?

cTs Corvette

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
When it goes black, take a flashlight and shine it on the screen-if you can still faintly see what should be on the screen-your desktop icons, wallpaper or whatever, then you have a bad backlight, inverter, or bad capacitors. If you can't repair it yourself, it probably isn't worth getting repaired.

cTs Corvette

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I've had two Samsung monitors that have done something similar-they would take forever to come on at boot, or out of standby. They would flicker and eventually come on, but once they were on, they stayed on. Eventually, though, they got to the point where they would not "wake up" anymore. Both had bad capacitors, and took probably 5 minutes to fix. And both are still working fine to this day. At this point, you have nothing to lose by opening it up and looking around.

filthychook

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Ok so this morning I used my dad's laptop to see if it's the monitor or what, turns out it is not the monitor, it's working perfectly straight away on my dad's laptop, same cable as well, so it's not the cable, so is it something to do with my graphics card?

filthychook

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Just tried another monitor with the same VGA cable and it's not working, so I guess the problem is my graphics card... Drivers are up to date, so I'm assuming my graphics card VGA port is fucked or something... Any ideas on what I could do to try and fix it would be great... Sorry for triple post but I'm just trying to update.