Sign in with
Your question

MSI GTX 590

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2011 3:45:35 PM

Hello all, I'm in the middle of building a pc and at first I intended to get a MSI GTX 580 lightning after checking some really convincing reviews.

When I contacted my local store they told me that they just had a shipment of MSI GTX 590 and the difference comes to about US$170(exchange rate) from the GTX 580 lightning.

Thinking that my pc usually last me 3 years or more, I'm contemplating on going for the MSI GTX 590, however I couldn't find much reviews or test on that particulat card.

So i thought I'd ask the community here if any of you guys have any experience with the MSI gtx 590?

thanks

More about : msi gtx 590

a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 5:23:15 PM

I haven't heard much about MSI GTX 590s but you should try a different distributor.
For what purpose are you actually going for a GTX 590 ? For gaming or something else ?
September 16, 2011 5:30:03 PM

GTX 580s sell for around [USD]450-500 and gtx 590s sell for approx [USD]750-800. Either they're overcharging you for the GTX 580 or offering you a good deal on a GTX 590. If it's only a $170 increase for the 590 I'd say go for it but make sure your comp can handle it and it's a good fit for your computer use.
Related resources
September 16, 2011 5:44:19 PM

I'll be using my pc for work(trading & charting softwares) but nothing heavy and mostly gaming, but would love my gaming experience to be on the high end.

my build is pretty decent i'd say

asus p8z68 v-pro
i7 2600k
gskill 8gb ddr 3 1600 (2x4GB)
corsair hx750

id go for the cheaper one usually but i noticed that my pc cycles is pretty much 3-4 years before i change to a new one, thats why im thinking of going the best for the current GPU.

MSI lightning gtx 580 cost around US$575 tax incl in my country
MSI gtx 590 cost around US$750
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 6:01:57 PM

well, after reading Tom's article about Microstuttering i wouldn't suggest being with 580s SLI, and besides if you're going to use multi GPU then i suggest AMD HD 6K series they scale better than nVidia's
another point, change your GPU this card is a power hungry and you don't want to experience a lag of performance
September 16, 2011 6:42:17 PM

ilysaml said:
well, after reading Tom's article about Microstuttering i wouldn't suggest being with 580s SLI, and besides if you're going to use multi GPU then i suggest AMD HD 6K series they scale better than nVidia's
another point, change your GPU this card is a power hungry and you don't want to experience a lag of performance

Did you read the same article as I did? The one I read showed that with two cards SLI had less microstuttering that AMD.

And from conclusion of the article

Quote:
CrossFire With Two Cards

Even at frame rates above 50 FPS, micro-stuttering rears its ugly head, pronounced enough to significantly detract from the gaming experience. A paradigm shift seems necessary, at least until both AMD and Nvidia are able to prevent or mask the artifact. Right now, if you asked us whether it'd be smart to "go cheap" on an inexpensive card and double-down later with another one, we'd have to suggest against it if you're the sort to be bothered by micro-stuttering. The improvement in performance would be negated by the phenomenon's impact. Currently, it seems like cards less powerful than the Radeon HD 6950 are not well-suited for dual-card CrossFire. Even if the frame rates look decent, the slower the GPU, the more pronounced you'll see micro-stuttering during gameplay.

At the same time, not everyone is equally sensitive to time-skewed frame sequences, and quite a few cheap TFT LCD displays help hide the effect. Even so, AMD has a major undertaking ahead of it in order to really improve the dual-card experience.

Quote:
SLI

Nvidia's approach is much more consistent, though its own SLI technology doesn't side-step micro-stuttering entirely. At least the company's high-end cards work together the way we'd expect. However, sporadic micro-stuttering brings us back to reality time and again. Cards like the GeForce GTX 550 Ti seem to be wasted on a SLI setup for this reason alone, achieving decent frame rates in the charts and nasty micro-stuttering in the real world.

Quote:
Closing Thoughts

We learned one other thing from our experimentation: the faster the linked cards are, the less you see side effects from teaming them up. This precludes using two low-end cards. CrossFire and SLI only make sense from the mid-range and higher, with a slight advantage for SLI. That makes both technologies a lot less interesting for upgraders and bargain hunters. Again, given comparable pricing, we'll take the single-GPU card any day. And even then, not having to worry about micro-stuttering would compel us to pay a little more.

The way I read this article the best NVIDIA you can get would be the way to go IF money is not a concern, as they have a better implementiation when it comes to consistent framerates.
September 16, 2011 6:55:48 PM

I currently run SLI GTX 580s and have had no issues with microstuttering. In BF3 Alpha I was running around 130 fps.
September 16, 2011 7:02:15 PM

Thx for input guys.

But doesn't the Gtx 590 counts as SLI? Since it's a dual gpu in 1?

I don't have any intention of going 2x580s, that would blow up my budget big time. Hence, I'm looking at MSI Gtx 590 cause I can handle a 175 bucks difference not another 575 down the line with another gtx580.

I just wanna get some inputs if the MSI Gtx 590 is worth the 175 bucks difference now since I intend to stick to the same card for 3 years bare minimum.

Btw I'll also be playing on 27" 120hz 1980x1080 monitor.
a c 143 U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 7:11:48 PM

Jkenneth said:
Thx for input guys.

But doesn't the Gtx 590 counts as SLI? Since it's a dual gpu in 1?

I don't have any intention of going 2x580s, that would blow up my budget big time. Hence, I'm looking at MSI Gtx 590 cause I can handle a 175 bucks difference not another 575 down the line with another gtx580.

I just wanna get some inputs if the MSI Gtx 590 is worth the 175 bucks difference now since I intend to stick to the same card for 3 years bare minimum.

Btw I'll also be playing on 27" 120hz 1980x1080 monitor.

there is a difference between Dual GPU and Dual PCBs and SLI, and as long as you play at 1080P you're good to go
September 17, 2011 5:28:00 AM

All right.

Time to do some haggling with the vendor.

Thanks everyone.
September 17, 2011 6:54:12 AM

The two lightning Extremes in SLI (580) were probably among the most expensive parts purchase I can remember in recent memory. I needed a stiff drink just to be able to go through with the purchase.

Looking back, it's relative. The SSD's add up to that much on sale while the rest of it is actually cheep.

I did not want the 590's because clock speed and memory rules. The prices will probably plunge on these top end cards when the next Generation comes out. Those will be a wonder of the world.
!