Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Screeching Noise & Game Crashing

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 18, 2012 11:01:49 PM

Okay, so I recently upgraded my computer (I'll post specs below) and everything was working fine until a game crashed. Now, usually I'd think I just set the graphics too high or something, but I think it's either my motherboard or CPU.
When the game crashes, the screen freezes and nothing responds, I have to do a hard shut-down. But the weird part is, when it freezes, my speakers make a weird, almost demonic, screeching noise. Being that I don't have a sound card and that my speakers are hooked up to my motherboard, I think it's the mother board or... something, I'm not sure. It didn't happen before I upgraded my hardware, and the only thing I can think of that's different is that my Graphics card is made for PCI-E2.0, but plugged into a PCI-E3.0 slot.

Specs-
ASUS P77 Sabertooth
Intel 3770 i7 @ 3.4GHz
8GB Corsair 1600 MHz
600 Watt Xigmatek PSU
nVidia GeForce GTS450 1GB GDDR3
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2012 11:07:40 PM

you didnt list an aftermarket heat sink so i hope you are not running you i7 on a stock heat sink
m
0
l
Related resources
December 18, 2012 11:15:33 PM

Anonymous said:
check your temps with hardware monitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Well crap.
37 C.
I heard the cooler was bad, especially for an Ivy Bridge, but dang.
I really need a new cooler.
Do you have any suggestions for aftermarket coolers?
m
0
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 12:23:47 AM

rccola2424 said:
Well crap.
37 C.
I heard the cooler was bad, especially for an Ivy Bridge, but dang.
I really need a new cooler.
Do you have any suggestions for aftermarket coolers?

run prime95 while having hard ware monitor up, thatll create a lot of heat, if you CPU gets over 70C i would get a new heat sink. also run furmark and stress test your gpu, you also want it to be less than 70C. you may need msi afterburner to change the gpu fan speeds manually
Share
December 19, 2012 1:07:39 AM

Anonymous said:
run prime95 while having hard ware monitor up, thatll create a lot of heat, if you CPU gets over 70C i would get a new heat sink. also run furmark and stress test your gpu, you also want it to be less than 70C. you may need msi afterburner to change the gpu fan speeds manually

Well my CPU hit 79 C and I ended prime95, because, well, it obviously went a little over.
My GPU only hit 71C and just stayed at 71 for 5 minutes, then actually went down to 69C, so I think that's fine.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 1:12:48 AM

definitely replace the cpu heat sink, your gpu should be fine, no games will cause cause your gpu to over heat because they wont exceed the stress of furmark.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 1:15:14 AM

for most stress tests you want to test for 12 continuous hours, if you get that high that fast then your heat sink is at fault. stress tests test the stability of a system, if its not stable then you should do something about it. do you have a lot of air flw in your case, you might want to check that too
m
0
l
December 19, 2012 1:19:49 AM

Anonymous said:
for most stress tests you want to test for 12 continuous hours, if you get that high that fast then your heat sink is at fault. stress tests test the stability of a system, if its not stable then you should do something about it. do you have a lot of air flw in your case, you might want to check that too

I'll definitely get a new CPU cooler, any suggestions?
Also, yes my case has 4 120mm fans, front, back, side, and top, usually running at full power if I play a game or something.
m
0
l
December 19, 2012 1:20:20 AM

Best answer selected by rccola2424.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 1:25:40 AM

a hyper 212 is pretty good, they do tend to have issues with ram [not enough clearance] you will have to check that before hand. they only cost about $25 i think
m
0
l
!