Sign in with
Your question

ASrock oc formula or gigabyte g1. sniper 3

Last response: in Motherboards
December 18, 2012 11:22:40 PM

I am going to get a mobo and i was wondering what motherboard is better for overclocking and gaming?
January 4, 2013 8:30:28 AM

Anonymous said:
neither, anything over $150 is wasteful spending, you will get feature that you wont know how to use, wont use, or wont even know about. save some money and get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

the gigabyte board is better for sli/xfire and its a better "gaming" board and has better audio

Don't listen to this ass clown, I spent almost $400 on my Maximus 4 Extreme-Z and it blows the tits off the boards he straight up "told" you not to buy I could not at all have been satisfied "settling on a lesser board" because I wanted what I wanted. People don't get it, there ARE features worth the money, and weighing in what you want is all you have to do...

The Asrock Z77 OC Formula will grant you better overclocks (from what I have read in reviews) while the g1 sniper 3 will be the better gaming board (I can tell by specs and reviews ie; Core3D audio and Killer NIC)

If you want both gaming and overclocking performance, I would just suck it up and buy an ROG Maximus V Extreme <--- slightly towards the overclock than gaming or the Maximus V Formula <--- Slightly leaning towards gamers.

Check the specs, and decide for yourself what you want, there are plenty of options out there, and the ball is in your court.

All said, the two boards you are looking at are both great for gaming and overclocking, so check the minor differences and make an educated decision, google is your best friend, especially when dealing with this amount of money, never let anyone make your purchase choice for you.

Hope I helped! :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2013 5:19:12 PM

The ASRock Z77 OC Formula currently holds the Overclock record for an Intel Chip at 7.something GHz. Before that the GA-Z77X-UP7 held the record and before that the G1.Sniper held the record.

I'd reccomend the G1 for it's Killer LAN, the Integrated Sound Card, 4x SLI/CFX capability and overall better expandability compared to the OC formula, it will overclock almost as well, chances you won't see a difference unless youre a pro tweaker.

EDIT: If you want to spend 300+ dollars on a board in the Z77 department something is seriously wrong. You need to "suck it up" and switch to X79, if you really need the features of a 300+ board X79 will give that, and more to you. Besides, for 300+ the Maximus V is not the best choice, not by a long shot, the GA-Z77X-UP7 is a much better overclocker and will give you expandability options, and the P8Z77-V Premium will give you good tweaking and great reliability/stability under heavy workloads.
m
l
January 4, 2013 7:15:53 PM

The day you build your PC , you try to find a good overclock then
you use your computer for gaming ?
So , no more OC-ing and Test-ing?
Do you want to use sli / crossfire ? and need 2x16 Pci-E lines?

The "Sniper" is slower because of all of its features ,
they slow down communication between components
( and there are a lot of them)

The "OC" is better for ...oc , less for sli crossfire ( 2x8 Pci-E ) but a dual GPU
on a single card ( gtx690 ) on the first Pci-eXpress connector will have all of the 16 x lines it need to perform... ;)  and will give you the best of two world-s : Oc + Sli
m
l
January 4, 2013 8:06:39 PM

cercle said:
The day you build your PC , you try to find a good overclock then
you use your computer for gaming ?
So , no more OC-ing and Test-ing?
Do you want to use sli / crossfire ? and need 2x16 Pci-E lines?

The "Sniper" is slower because of all of its features ,
they slow down communication between components
( and there are a lot of them)

The "OC" is better for ...oc , less for sli crossfire ( 2x8 Pci-E ) but a dual GPU
on a single card ( gtx690 ) on the first Pci-eXpress connector will have all of the 16 x lines it need to perform... ;)  and will give you the best of two world-s : Oc + Sli

This is true, the plx chip slows down DUAL-card sli on the sniper, but a single card dual gpu is still still up to par, and the sniper actually performs extremely well with 3-4 card SLI, its just dual cards that perform worse, and the oc formula is great for overclocking. But the sniper performs better than the oc formula on all fronts, there are plenty of reviews out there to prove it, I can't remember the site I looked at recently, but google a motherboard review for the g 1 sniper3, 23 motherboard review, and you will see it performs better than the oc formula on all but 1 (if I remember correctly) fronts!

This guy knows what he is talking about! :D 
m
l
January 4, 2013 8:18:55 PM

@ Darkspartan

Hitting 7 GHz is not his priority, if he was going to use sub-zero cooling methods, he would know already what he is looking for and wants to buy, overclock maximum is out of the question, this guy would be looking for watercooling at best I'm sure.

Not trying to be douchy but there are PLENTY of reviews out there that will support my advice!

*EDIT* The UP7 and P8-Z77-V Premium board you recommended are good in many ways, but fails hard in others, and almost never exceeds mid-grade. I guess he just has to weigh his options. :) 
m
l
!