Which mobo to go for?

stevenk92

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Im stuck on what kind of motherboard to get. I plan on adding a 7950 video card to this and going to try to oc my cpu to 4.2ghz *new to oc*

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Case: Cooler Master Storm trooper
Power Supply: Corsair HX850 Gold certified

my budget is no more than $200 and I am sure great mobo's can be bought with even less. I hear great things about asrock extreme 4 as well as asus motherboards but im at a stand still. any advice? or suggestions?

Solution
G
you might want to rethink your case, my freind has one and they are absolutely MASSIVE. get a midtower instead. as for motherboards get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

its an excellent mobo with a great performance/price/features ratio. anything over his is typically wasteful spending for the average or even a heavy user. i would say save some money on this and get a cheaper case and upgrade to a radeon 7970. make sure you get an after market cpu heat sink like a hyper 212
G

you might want to rethink your case, my freind has one and they are absolutely MASSIVE. get a midtower instead. as for motherboards get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

its an excellent mobo with a great performance/price/features ratio. anything over his is typically wasteful spending for the average or even a heavy user. i would say save some money on this and get a cheaper case and upgrade to a radeon 7970. make sure you get an after market cpu heat sink like a hyper 212

Solution

stevenk92

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

Anyone know the difference between the asrock extreme4 and extreme6?
I know the case is massive I already have it. as for the aftermarket cpu heatsink I currently have the hyper 212 plus from CM. what is the performance difference between the 7950 and the 7970?

I did not know that. Thank you for that information :D

G

a firewire port and usb 3. front bracket, not much else thats actually relevant

stevenk92

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I've made my choice by going with the asrock extreme 4 but I have 1 small question regarding the motherboard. Since its slightly smaller than a ATX motherboard I heard issues with the mounting wholes. Is this true?

G

not that i know of, its smaller on the width, dont put a lot of pressure on the 24pin atx motherboard power port and you should be fine. half the people that give bad reviews are not intelligent. i have never heard of issues with mounting holes. asrock is a quality mobo manufacturer and cooler master makes quality cases i doubt either of them would have monkeyed up mounting holes

TRENDING THREADS