Sign in with
Your question

Mic issue, need sound card?

Last response: in Components
February 14, 2012 4:06:46 AM

I recently got a new computer case and I noticed that my headset that has audio jacks the mic doesn't seem to work. The sound works fine, the mic doesn't. When I plug in a headset that plugs into a usb port it works just fine. However when I switch over to the headset that uses the audio jacks the mic doesn't work. I go into the hardware > sound settings and it says Mic is unavailable under the recording tab. Does this mean I don't have a sound card?

Specs:
Intel i-5 2400
nvidia gtx 560
ATX Biostar H61MGC Mobo
6GB Ram
CoolerMaster 430 Elite Case

More about : mic issue sound card

February 14, 2012 7:11:33 AM

The headset that uses USB is a soud device on its own so it will work either way.

As for the other one, are you plugging the jacks on the case's front panel or on the motherboard?
m
l
February 14, 2012 10:17:29 AM

You will have a soundcard, but it maybe a built in one (which is fine). Sounds like you have a headset with a green jack and a pink jack, once it is plugged in you will need to configure it in windows sound options.

You may also have a control panel for your soundcard on the task bar near the windows clock.
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2012 8:12:22 PM

fixxxer113 said:
The headset that uses USB is a soud device on its own so it will work either way.

As for the other one, are you plugging the jacks on the case's front panel or on the motherboard?

I've tried both, plugging it into the motherboard and the jacks on the front panel. When plugged into the jacks in the front panel, I get bad static.

Probably a silly question, but should I have the AC 97, or the HD Audio cable plugged in on the motherboard?
m
l
February 15, 2012 6:04:58 AM

zex_vex55 said:
I've tried both, plugging it into the motherboard and the jacks on the front panel. When plugged into the jacks in the front panel, I get bad static.

Probably a silly question, but should I have the AC 97, or the HD Audio cable plugged in on the motherboard?

Not a silly question at all. The pinout is different between them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/44491-ac97-hd-audio-front-panel-layouts.html

You should check your mobo's manual for that.

Did you install the soundcard's own software or just left it as Windows recognized it? I have a mobo with 6 audio jacks and because they are all auto-sensing, there is no particular jack just for the mic. They can all be either inputs or outputs. Maybe they're not recognized correctly by Windows.
m
l
!