Sign in with
Your question

RAM recognized by Windows 7 but not in BIOS

Last response: in Memory
December 19, 2012 12:27:20 AM

I have Windows 7 64-bit and currently have 8GB of RAM installed. The RAM is in triple channel totaling four sticks. The motherboard I have is an EVGA E 758 X58 3-way SLI which claims that it can support 24 GB max in triple channel at a speed of 1600 or 1333 mhz. The RAM I have is Corsair Dominator 1600 MHz triple channel.

Okay, those are the specs here is the back story. When I first got the motherboard and attempted to install all the sticks it didn't boot. I flashed the BIOS thinking that was the problem and sure enough it did boot when I installed all the RAM. When I got to Windows it showed 12gb installed but only 8 was usable. I switched the sticks out and all of them work. Any suggestions?
a c 128 } Memory
December 19, 2012 10:33:07 AM

Only suggestion is to read the board manual; your board runs best with the ram in sets of threes; it may run with four sticks but only in specific ram slots in dual channel mode. It's amazing how little people read the motherboard manual; normally, the info you need is all there. Read the section on memory recommendations and configuration.
m
l
December 20, 2012 6:33:59 PM

I purchased two triple channel sets and the board only has six slots so all of them are used. It shouldn't matter right? All the settings in bios are correct.
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2012 6:54:05 PM

Storres120 said:
I have Windows 7 64-bit and currently have 8GB of RAM installed. The RAM is in triple channel totaling four sticks.

The way I'm reading it is, that you have FOUR sticks of RAM, each featuring 2GB. Now i'm fairly certain that when you run with TRIPLE-channel you need it for pair of THREE sticks. While you with Dual-channel run it with TWO sticks.

As in examle

Dual Channel:

[X][X] - [X][X] - [X][X]

Triple Chanel

[X][ ] - [X][ ] - [X][ ]

Now, I figure where you're problem is that you've done one of the following:

[X][X] - [X][ ] - [X][ ]

[X][ ] - [X][X] - [X][ ]

[X][ ] - [X][ ] - [X][X]

If I've misread you, I'm terrible sorry and just disregard, but if I haven't. Then that might be your problem, When you Run by triple channel you need to run them in "sets" as shown a few lines above,

If you have 6 slots for ram you can either run 2 sets of Triple Chanel. (3x2) or 3 sets of Dual Channel (2x3)

I hope i'm not entirely misfireing here :) 
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
December 20, 2012 10:38:07 PM

Storres120 said:
I purchased two triple channel sets and the board only has six slots so all of them are used. It shouldn't matter right? All the settings in bios are correct.

Are you using Windows 7 Home Basic or Premium?
m
l
December 21, 2012 7:08:15 PM

I am using Premium 64-bit and am using it like this [x][x][x][x][x][x]. When everything is installed Task Manager says that 12GB is installed but only 8GB is usable.
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
December 21, 2012 8:01:37 PM

Are all modules identical and 2GB each? In your original post you wrote"I have Windows 7 64-bit and currently have 8GB of RAM installed. The RAM is in triple channel totaling four sticks." If you actually have 6 modules, does the BIOS detect 8GB or 12GB of memory?
m
l
December 22, 2012 9:47:31 PM

I have all the sticks in but the bios only detects 8gb. They're all 2GB. The total should be 12GB.
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 1:32:09 AM

Windows can detect 12GB, but it also knows from the BIOS or its own memory tests that only 8GB is usable. Have you contacted EVGA about the issue?

Google "EVGA E 758 X58 won't detect all memory" and you'll find interesting info. Make sure that all modules are fully inserted.
m
l
!