Cingular SIM in an AT&T phone?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 20, 2005 3:32:47 AM

Friend of mine has a Cingular phone, we popped her SIM into my V505
(AT&T) phone (her's is a 64k sim) and it popped up asking for a
subsidy password.
Does this mean, that if I wanted to drop by the Cingular store, and
switch rate plans to a cingular plan, they could put a Cingular Sim in
my phone, input the subsidy passcode and make it work? The reason
I ask is that because on a recent trip to the Dakota country with the
family, my parents "pure" Cingular phone had coverage, but my "AT&T"
phone said "roaming". It worked ok, but just said roaming although
I'm on the "anywhere you have a signal you have a local phone" plan.

Thanks!

More about : cingular sim phone

June 20, 2005 3:32:48 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:32:47 GMT, RH <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Friend of mine has a Cingular phone, we popped her SIM into my V505
>(AT&T) phone (her's is a 64k sim) and it popped up asking for a
>subsidy password.
>Does this mean, that if I wanted to drop by the Cingular store, and
>switch rate plans to a cingular plan, they could put a Cingular Sim in
>my phone, input the subsidy passcode and make it work? The reason
>I ask is that because on a recent trip to the Dakota country with the
>family, my parents "pure" Cingular phone had coverage, but my "AT&T"
>phone said "roaming". It worked ok, but just said roaming although
>I'm on the "anywhere you have a signal you have a local phone" plan.

cingular will not provide you with any unlocking codes for AT&T
phones. If your present phone does not work you will have to transfer
to cingular and pay for the priviledge ($18) Welcome to cingular!
- -
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:32:48 AM

In article <hvvbb15om05orgicf98ts7kfugqp8t80l2@4ax.com>,
RH <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Friend of mine has a Cingular phone, we popped her SIM into my V505
> (AT&T) phone (her's is a 64k sim) and it popped up asking for a
> subsidy password.
> Does this mean, that if I wanted to drop by the Cingular store, and
> switch rate plans to a cingular plan, they could put a Cingular Sim in
> my phone, input the subsidy passcode and make it work?

They could.

The SIM will work in any unlocked phone that uses GSM at Cingular's
frequencies.

Will they unlock the phone? No.
June 20, 2005 3:32:49 AM

In article <gk0cb1p97p5m6g45nk4jh4eadmb3ihplc8@4ax.com>,
Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> cingular will not provide you with any unlocking codes for AT&T
> phones. If your present phone does not work you will have to transfer
> to cingular and pay for the priviledge ($18) Welcome to cingular!

Or you can buy an unlocked phone off Ebay or somewhere.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:36:03 AM

What type of phone did your parents have? Was it a TDMA or GAIT (TMDA +
GSM) phone. I've heard that you cannot get any further GAIT/hybrid
activations. Look before you leap. My ATT's GSM roaming database is pretty
broad.

Stu

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:32:47 GMT, RH <p51d007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Friend of mine has a Cingular phone, we popped her SIM into my V505
>>(AT&T) phone (her's is a 64k sim) and it popped up asking for a
>>subsidy password.
>>Does this mean, that if I wanted to drop by the Cingular store, and
>>switch rate plans to a cingular plan, they could put a Cingular Sim in
>>my phone, input the subsidy passcode and make it work? The reason
>>I ask is that because on a recent trip to the Dakota country with the
>>family, my parents "pure" Cingular phone had coverage, but my "AT&T"
>>phone said "roaming". It worked ok, but just said roaming although
>>I'm on the "anywhere you have a signal you have a local phone" plan.
>
> cingular will not provide you with any unlocking codes for AT&T
> phones. If your present phone does not work you will have to transfer
> to cingular and pay for the priviledge ($18) Welcome to cingular!
> - -

June 20, 2005 8:23:38 AM

Parents phone is a Motorola V220 (Cingular), mine is a Motorola V505
(AT&T).

>What type of phone did your parents have? Was it a TDMA or GAIT (TMDA +
>GSM) phone. I've heard that you cannot get any further GAIT/hybrid
>activations. Look before you leap. My ATT's GSM roaming database is pretty
>broad.
>
>Stu

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:11:25 PM

I have the AT&T V505 that I'm using with a Cingular 64k SIM card. I
just paid $20 to get my phone unlocked at a local dealer. He hooked it
up to the Motorola Smart Clip and had it unlocked in under 60 seconds.
He said that he paid $300 for the unlocker on ebay.com.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:29:43 PM

> Friend of mine has a Cingular phone, we popped her SIM into my V505
> (AT&T) phone (her's is a 64k sim) and it popped up asking for a
> subsidy password.
> Does this mean, that if I wanted to drop by the Cingular store, and
> switch rate plans to a cingular plan, they could put a Cingular Sim in
> my phone, input the subsidy passcode and make it work? The reason
> I ask is that because on a recent trip to the Dakota country with the
> family, my parents "pure" Cingular phone had coverage, but my "AT&T"
> phone said "roaming". It worked ok, but just said roaming although
> I'm on the "anywhere you have a signal you have a local phone" plan.
>
> Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about the roaming indicator. Pretty much in
North Dakota and South Dakota, Western Wireless is the only provider of
GSM (RCC Unicel has some coverage such as Sioux Falls and Fargo to Grand
Forks, and T-Mobile covers Fargo through overlap from its Moorhead
coverage).

The "Roaming" is just a display on the screen if you're on a no roaming
plan. So, whether you have T-Mobile, Cingular, or another GSM provider,
you are most likey going to roam on Western Wireless while in that part of
the world.

TH
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:54:52 PM

Do not attempt to guess the password. Google for "unlock V505". You
will find online sites willing to remotely unlock it for $20 ~ $50.
Most require you to download an program and connect the phone to the
computer using the USB data cable (which u can get on ebay). A few
sites allow you to send the phone in via post.

If you are an AT&T customer you may have somel leverage when switching
to Cingular. You may be elidgable for a new subscriber discount if you
port to Cingular. This assumes u are not on a contract with AT&T.
June 21, 2005 6:49:33 AM

I found an unlock device on the web that I think I'm going to buy.
My next question is: did you get much static when you went into the
Cingular store asking for a new Sim card?

!