Trying to save my PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevil4613

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I have this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171049
and some of the 24 pin wires had been cut. How or why, I don't know.
Half of the wires had been cut but the others aren't, including the green wire.
I can turn it on by shorting the green wire with a black one but I cant use it for my motherboard now.
Is there anyway that I can use this on my motherboard again via the Pci e and molex connectors?
Or should I just keep this as a video card psu and get a new one?

Solution
I've be very wary.
If they cut the 24pin wires you could have also damaged other parts of the psu.

You should be ok soldering them together then heat shrink tubing or electrical taping them. Just be aware they will be a lot less flexible and could break on the joins if they are moved a lot.

Remember to test all the pins (including the 6 and 4 pin connectors) with a multi meter or psu tester before using it on your system.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
You just left your PSU outside :S ?

Well despite that not being a very smart move, id recommend buying a new PSU. Unless you know enough about electronics to know its safe to use and you wont electrocute yourself or someone else, stay safe and just grab a new one that doesn't have cut wires.

pauls3743

Distinguished
Try returning it anyway, some good companies have an accidental damage clause.

OR

There's always the option a soldering iron if you're handy with it and there's enough wire coming out the back of the 24-pin plug.

Failing that you are looking at a new supply, just don't leave it lying about next time.

igotperks

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
if the wires were cut toward the middle and not right next to the 24pin connector... cant he just strip the wire down and twist them back together and place some electrical tape around it or shrink wrapping? not too sure why he should buy a new one since this seems like a possible repairable situation...then again ive never heard of this issue.... this might cause issues with your mobo...so dont take my advise unless there are a few people who back my proposal

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I've be very wary.
If they cut the 24pin wires you could have also damaged other parts of the psu.

You should be ok soldering them together then heat shrink tubing or electrical taping them. Just be aware they will be a lot less flexible and could break on the joins if they are moved a lot.

Remember to test all the pins (including the 6 and 4 pin connectors) with a multi meter or psu tester before using it on your system.

Solution

twisting them together is not the best idea when using the kind of current that those cables will be drawing. soldering yes, but then if the op had a soldering iron, some small heat shrink and knew how to use them then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.