• Power Supplies
  • Heatsinks
  • Fan
  • Memory
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
February 14, 2012 8:28:02 AM

In my new PC the aftersales heatsink fan (Xigmatek Loki) is blocked by the high-profile memory chips (M/B only got 2 ram slots) so I was forced to used the stock heatsink (noisy).

Can you please recommend a heatsink with a top-down fan that will be able to fit?

What if I switch the side of the Loki fan so it does not get blocked by the RAM chips?

The only drawback I can think of is that in this case it will be face-to-face with the back case fan and with an opposite air flow.

Is that a very bad thing?

More about : heatsink fan blocked high profile memory

a b ) Power supply
a b } Memory
February 14, 2012 8:42:00 AM

Yes, it is a bad thing. It will mean your exhaust fan will blow in an opposite direction from your heatsink fan and the end result is that there will be next to no airflow through the case.

Have you thought about turning the heatsink fan around, after you have turn the heatsink around, so that it blows directly into the exhaust fan.
m
l
February 14, 2012 8:55:53 AM

pauls3743 said:

Have you thought about turning the heatsink fan around, after you have turn the heatsink around, so that it blows directly into the exhaust fan.

I don't think it is possible in my case. But even if it was that would mean that it would suck air from the heatsink instead of blow air to it which common sense (plus a post from a member of the tomshardware team) tells me is the wrong way to go....
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2012 9:15:49 AM

From a little research and looking at the images of the cooler, it uses rubber gromets to hold the fan in place, you should be able to switch which way the fan actually faces.

you can also swap what side the fan is on, if you dont feel like buying a different cooler then you could put the fan as a pull fan at the back end of your case, if really needed aswell you can just remove the rear fan on your case so it would fit.

Alternatively I would reccomend that you look into coolers such as the NH-d14 or the phanteks and have that in a push pull setup (mid fan push rear fan pull).

I have also seen a few people with similar issues who basically switch round the fan and backplate 90 degrees and have the fan exhaust out through the top of the case.

m
l
February 14, 2012 9:29:10 AM

signor said:
From a little research and looking at the images of the cooler, it uses rubber gromets to hold the fan in place, you should be able to switch which way the fan actually faces.

you can also swap what side the fan is on, if you dont feel like buying a different cooler then you could put the fan as a pull fan at the back end of your case, if really needed aswell you can just remove the rear fan on your case so it would fit.

You are absolutely right. It is possible to switch both the way the fan faces and the side it is attached to the cooler. Problem is we want it to BLOW air into the cooler and not oppose the back case fan air flow.

signor said:

Alternatively I would reccomend that you look into coolers such as the NH-d14 or the phanteks and have that in a push pull setup (mid fan push rear fan pull).

There is no way this would fit or I would give 90$ to cool a 120$ CPU.

signor said:

I have also seen a few people with similar issues who basically switch round the fan and backplate 90 degrees and have the fan exhaust out through the top of the case.

This is what I asked in my OP. A top-down (old-fashioned) fan heatsink recommendation. Something like this compatible with socket FM1.
m
l
February 14, 2012 12:23:18 PM

"You are absolutely right. It is possible to switch both the way the fan faces and the side it is attached to the cooler. Problem is we want it to BLOW air into the cooler and not oppose the back case fan air flow."

It would not appose the rear fan it would work with it if you just turned it around, I do agree that it wouldnt blow air into it, however you would still have a PULL configuration, pull configurations still work as they allow cool air to come in and replace the warm air, its not as effective but it does work.

"This is what I asked in my OP. A top-down (old-fashioned) fan heatsink recommendation. Something like this compatible with socket FM1. "

You missunderstood me, what I was trying to say is that you could rotate the BRACKET on the back aswell as the cooler, meaning your fan would be just above your gfx card and would blow air through the heatsink and out of the top of the case.

See this review of a cooler, it shows what I mean, ignore the cooler (i know you said it wouldnt fit, but its the only review I remember seeing it installed like this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjvNsPUN2XY

m
l
February 14, 2012 12:25:06 PM

PS, it would help if you told us what case you have to limit what we can look for.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 14, 2012 1:59:07 PM

that's low profile is better.BTW removing your heatsinks or leaving your slots is only option.choose that fits you.
m
l
February 14, 2012 2:41:06 PM

signor said:

You missunderstood me, what I was trying to say is that you could rotate the BRACKET on the back aswell as the cooler, meaning your fan would be just above your gfx card and would blow air through the heatsink and out of the top of the case.

See this review of a cooler, it shows what I mean, ignore the cooler (i know you said it wouldnt fit, but its the only review I remember seeing it installed like this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjvNsPUN2XY

Oh NOW i get it :D 

Is it possible you rotate the bracket as you like with any fan and motherboard?

The case is a Coolermaster Silencio 450.
m
l
!