Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which would you buy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2011 9:02:59 PM

Hi, I am currently stuck with a crummy GeForce 8500GT, and I am looking for a new card to replace this hulking aged piece of junk with.

I have a very limited budget of no higher than $100 (plus change), and I would like to ask folks what they would use with the limited budget I have.

I plan to use this GPU for high gaming, my current benchmark to match is the ability to run (on any settings) Black Ops, and try to run Oblivion at highest possible.

I have spent hours looking through reviews and products, and I am very unsure. I don't want to buy a piece of junk thinking it was treasure. I want to buy something that is solid and capable of what I need it to do.

I have used Newegg for my product research...part of it.

I have also read reviews on here and other sites for several different cards. But I have seriously decided to ask the community what you guys would buy.

Oh, while this will be a moot point in the nearer future, I currently have a 350W power supply

Here is the questions in the sticky...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: The end of this month up to November, $100 limit

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: At least minimum specs for Black Ops, maximum specs for Oblivion. If possible ability to run Skyrim when it comes out.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia GeForce 8500GT 1GB (BFG Tech)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel D915GUX Mobo, Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2Ghz, 3GB 533Mhz DDR2 240-pin RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, DX11

Note: I should mention I will be replacing my P4 down the road with a Core2Duo E7600

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (e.g.: Grand Fenwick)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer Nvidia, if ATI is the better choice I will accept an ATI card. I do NOT want 3D, I repeat NO 3D!

OVERCLOCKING: Yes or no...depends to be honest.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1080 (Warning it is a D-sub!)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: It would be nice to have better than stock cooling (in case I do decide to OC), but most important is the slot type and profile: Standard 2x profile is fine (I have space to spare), but ONE PCI Express x16 is all I have.

Also: MUST BE A D-SUB, I really don't want a dvi-dsub adapter...but if I must, I must.

More about : buy

September 16, 2011 9:19:19 PM

I should mention I will be replacing my P4 down the road with a Core2Duo E7600
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 9:25:41 PM

+1 you need to change you whole computer or you will run at minimum and it will lag on black ops.

Although for oblivion; one of those would do : 550ti or 6790 but in range of 100 to 130 $.

So if its only a meanwhile upgrade, you could get a geforce 440 / Radeon HD 6570 for about 80 to 100$

m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2011 9:30:11 PM

Okay the GPU link appeared and I have added it to my long term wishlist on Newegg.

The PSU link didn't work...I have been heavily advised by my grandfather (Who is a genuine expert on hardware, but not graphics) to stick to Antec for PSUs
m
l
September 16, 2011 9:32:35 PM

I will be gaming at my current monitor's resolution of 1280x1080.

Currently I have to run most of my games at 800x600...

But I have gotten MW2 to run smoothly at 800x600 on this current build.

And as I said, most of this is a meantime upgrade. I am extremely tight budgeted right now, but not so much I can't upgrade some aspects of my computer. I do intend to do a complete rebuild early next year.
m
l
September 16, 2011 9:54:56 PM

you're going to be in it a lot more than you have to be for upgrading to this "new" equipment, I'm running an e8400 and I consider it aging gracefully, i'm not sure if i'd dip my toes into murkier waters.

What are the prices you're paying for all this, you could probably just get a whole barebones mobo/chip/ram/GPU set from newegg for like 4-500 bucks that would do you well compared to what you'll probably be into it when you start spending money on stuff this old.

That is unless you're getting this stuff used/from a freind etc.
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:01:51 PM

I know this will be hard to hear but don't up grade you comp. Buy a good used one off Craigslist or save for a new one.
m
l

Best solution

a c 107 U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 10:14:19 PM

If you have a decent enough PSU then go with a Radeon 5770 or 6770

PowerColor AX6770 1GBD5-H $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's more than enough for Oblivion (I ran it on a 3850 then latter 3850x2 CF on max) and should let you play black Ops. Your biggest hindrance is your CPU so I say play oblivion first and after that sucks up a few weeks of your life (it really can) you should have saved up to upgrade your CPU.
a c 107 U Graphics card
September 16, 2011 10:14:56 PM

You could also try to overclock your CPU but you need some serious cooling to do that (p4s ran hot).
m
l
September 16, 2011 10:34:51 PM

I appreciate all the advice, and I only spent $50 on a 500GB hdd, 3gb of RAM and Arctic cooling compound. The rest of my gear..including the copy of windows, was given to my by the head of my college's tech department. I am using VERY used equipment. But I also am using this for education as I am working on getting my A+ Cert. And upgrading is something I am seriously interested in doing.

I am also probably uncalculating my budget right now, but such is life.
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:02:54 PM

Best answer selected by Izaran.
m
l
September 16, 2011 11:03:40 PM

Quote:
i do agree, unless its a personal thing, that you actually like upgrading a pc no matter what it is, and not buying one all built for you

I am rather...bent...on upgrading. Educational thing.
m
l
!