Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Printing actual size from screen to paper?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 8:37:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi,

I need a circle that I drew in MS paint that is 6" in size, and I want
to print it that size on paper, but it always comes out larger
or smaller, I know there's a formula involved, here's all the details:
· The circle is 6" at 1024x768 at 96 DPI on a 19" monitor.
· MS paint made the image 576x576, when I specified 6 inches.
· The printer is set for 300 x 300 DPI.
it prints 7-15/16" in size, close to 8", when I do (72 DPI) x (Inch),
it's just a hair off, 31/32 of an inch, but 72 DPI isn't set anywhere?

Thanks, for your help.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 12:08:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I have the same problem js.
However I discovered I can work around that by using Corel Draw.
It allows me to print accurately enough to create shop drill patterns.
Gene http://www.photoprojects.net


js5895 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a circle that I drew in MS paint that is 6" in size, and I want
> to print it that size on paper, but it always comes out larger
> or smaller, I know there's a formula involved, here's all the details:
> · The circle is 6" at 1024x768 at 96 DPI on a 19" monitor.
> · MS paint made the image 576x576, when I specified 6 inches.
> · The printer is set for 300 x 300 DPI.
> it prints 7-15/16" in size, close to 8", when I do (72 DPI) x (Inch),
> it's just a hair off, 31/32 of an inch, but 72 DPI isn't set anywhere?
>
> Thanks, for your help.
April 23, 2005 2:24:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Use a drafting program such as AutoCAD Lt, or even some of the freebees.

"Gene F. Rhodes" <nospam.gfrhodes@cox.net> wrote in message
news:42699FFE.F0608DC@cox.net...
>I have the same problem js.
> However I discovered I can work around that by using Corel Draw.
> It allows me to print accurately enough to create shop drill patterns.
> Gene http://www.photoprojects.net
>
>
> js5895 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need a circle that I drew in MS paint that is 6" in size, and I want
>> to print it that size on paper, but it always comes out larger
>> or smaller, I know there's a formula involved, here's all the details:
>> · The circle is 6" at 1024x768 at 96 DPI on a 19" monitor.
>> · MS paint made the image 576x576, when I specified 6 inches.
>> · The printer is set for 300 x 300 DPI.
>> it prints 7-15/16" in size, close to 8", when I do (72 DPI) x (Inch),
>> it's just a hair off, 31/32 of an inch, but 72 DPI isn't set anywhere?
>>
>> Thanks, for your help.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 2:49:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Friday 22 April 2005 16:37, js5895 wrote:


> I need a circle that I drew in MS paint that is 6" in size, and I want
> to print it that size on paper, but it always comes out larger
> or smaller, I know there's a formula involved, here's all the details:
> · The circle is 6" at 1024x768 at 96 DPI on a 19" monitor.
> · MS paint made the image 576x576, when I specified 6 inches.
> · The printer is set for 300 x 300 DPI.
> it prints 7-15/16" in size, close to 8", when I do (72 DPI) x (Inch),
> it's just a hair off, 31/32 of an inch, but 72 DPI isn't set anywhere?

Do you need to use a computer/printer to get the circle? If all you
need is one, do it the old fashion way: use a compass. If you need
lots of sheets of 6" circles, use a compass and then run off copies at
you local copy center. Otherwise, try the circle/oval drawing tool in
a word processor or the best would be a CAD program output to a
commercial plotter.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group
tootek2@yahoo.com
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 5:43:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Well I would like to know how the program gets it's numbers, so
I could calculate it by calculator. I study everything, computers,
electrical, etc.,
and I like using formulas, I think I found a site that might help:
http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html
Thanks, for the information about the programs.

Thanks.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:07:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

You really answered your own question. If it really is 6" at 96 dpi on
your screen, then it will also be 6" if you print it at 96 dpi on your
printer.

It's that simple. You only need two things to determine the size of
something when it prints.. Either:

1. A dimension (eg 6"), and a resolution (96 dpi). (this also tells
you how many pixels there are in that dimension, namely 576)

2. A number of dots/pixels, and a resolution. (eg if you have an image
2400 pixels wide, and you print at 300 dpi, it will be 8" wide.)


Spend some time at scantips.com, and it will click!
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:36:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Stefan Patric <writeme@addressbelow.com> wrote:
: On Friday 22 April 2005 16:37, js5895 wrote:


: > I need a circle that I drew in MS paint that is 6" in size, and I want
: > to print it that size on paper, but it always comes out larger
: > or smaller, I know there's a formula involved, here's all the details:
: > ? The circle is 6" at 1024x768 at 96 DPI on a 19" monitor.
: > ? MS paint made the image 576x576, when I specified 6 inches.
: > ? The printer is set for 300 x 300 DPI.
: > it prints 7-15/16" in size, close to 8", when I do (72 DPI) x (Inch),
: > it's just a hair off, 31/32 of an inch, but 72 DPI isn't set anywhere?

: Do you need to use a computer/printer to get the circle? If all you
: need is one, do it the old fashion way: use a compass. If you need
: lots of sheets of 6" circles, use a compass and then run off copies at
: you local copy center. Otherwise, try the circle/oval drawing tool in
: a word processor or the best would be a CAD program output to a
: commercial plotter.

One other choice. If it is important that the print size be the same as
the screen size, set the screen and printer to match. Either set the
printer to the same DPI as the screen or adjust the screen to match the
printer, or both. Then when you print, and assuming that the print driver
does not have to "scale" the print to fit the image to the page, the two
should match about as close as possible with consumer products. No
consumer printer is going to be absolutely correct as there will always be
some "slop" in the mechanical print head positioning mechanism. For
absolute precision, you would have to use some very high priced pro
equipment (the graphics program, data transfer equipment, and printer).

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:36:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Randy Berbaum wrote:
> Stefan Patric <writeme@addressbelow.com> wrote:
> : On Friday 22 April 2005 16:37, js5895 wrote:
>
>
> : > I need a circle that I drew in MS paint that is 6" in size, and I want
> : > to print it that size on paper, but it always comes out larger
> : > or smaller, I know there's a formula involved, here's all the details:
> : > ? The circle is 6" at 1024x768 at 96 DPI on a 19" monitor.
> : > ? MS paint made the image 576x576, when I specified 6 inches.
> : > ? The printer is set for 300 x 300 DPI.
> : > it prints 7-15/16" in size, close to 8", when I do (72 DPI) x (Inch),
> : > it's just a hair off, 31/32 of an inch, but 72 DPI isn't set anywhere?
>
> : Do you need to use a computer/printer to get the circle? If all you
> : need is one, do it the old fashion way: use a compass. If you need
> : lots of sheets of 6" circles, use a compass and then run off copies at
> : you local copy center. Otherwise, try the circle/oval drawing tool in
> : a word processor or the best would be a CAD program output to a
> : commercial plotter.
>
> One other choice. If it is important that the print size be the same as
> the screen size, set the screen and printer to match. Either set the
> printer to the same DPI as the screen or adjust the screen to match the
> printer, or both. Then when you print, and assuming that the print driver
> does not have to "scale" the print to fit the image to the page, the two
> should match about as close as possible with consumer products. No
> consumer printer is going to be absolutely correct as there will always be
> some "slop" in the mechanical print head positioning mechanism. For
> absolute precision, you would have to use some very high priced pro
> equipment (the graphics program, data transfer equipment, and printer).
>
> Randy
>
> ==========
> Randy Berbaum
> Champaign, IL
>
Most monitors top out around 100dpi. You wouldn't find that to be
acceptable for a print unless you intended to view it at some distance.
I don't think that is a really good idea most of the time (printing same
size as monitor display). Most printers can do much better by printing
the available data at a size that will work out to 200-300dpi on the
printer.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 4:24:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Saturday 23 April 2005 13:43, js5895 wrote:

> Well I would like to know how the program gets it's numbers, so
> I could calculate it by calculator. I study everything, computers,
> electrical, etc.,
> and I like using formulas, I think I found a site that might help:
> http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html
> Thanks, for the information about the programs.

If you really want to learn how computers and software do what they do,
learn to program. I suggest learning the C programming language. It's
been around for years, is easy to learn, lots of programs were (and are
still) written with it, and the source code for many of them are
available on the internet for study.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group
tootek2@yahoo.com
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:48:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

At 1024x768, I can go as high as 480 DPI, and my printer only prints at
600x600 or 300x300 DPI. I been programming on and off, for 5+ years
now with C/C++, Java, JavaScript, Perl, HTML, PHP, ASP, 386 ASM.

Thanks, for helping me.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 8:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sunday 24 April 2005 14:48, js5895 wrote:

> At 1024x768, I can go as high as 480 DPI, and my printer only prints
> at 600x600 or 300x300 DPI. I been programming on and off, for 5+ years
> now with C/C++, Java, JavaScript, Perl, HTML, PHP, ASP, 386 ASM.
>
> Thanks, for helping me.

It occurred to me that your printing problem may be not with the
application or screen calibration or screen dpi or printer output dpi,
but a poorly written printer driver. After all, even if the app
outputs an accurate file, it's really the printer driver that
determines the printer output, accurate or otherwise.

I once had a similar problem. If the app, a DTP program, was set to use
the printer driver supplied either with the OS or by the printer
manufacturer, I got inaccurate output. But if I used the printer
driver supplied with the DTP program for my printer, the output was
correct.

Food for thought...

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group
tootek2@yahoo.com
January 3, 2011 6:42:11 AM

just paste that circle on microsoftword , first just check the dimensions on paint , then when u paste it on word u'll have to resize it, print on word and it'll be of the same size on ur screen , this will save u from the problem of changing ur dpi
!