After a night with the PSP I have to say Nintendo is in bi..

This system totally blows the DS out of the water. Everything about the
system is spot on except for the low sound level(its a handheld though). The
games absolutely kick ass compared to their DS counterparts. I was comparing
Ridge Racer PSP to Ridge Racer DS last night and after just a minute of play
on the PSP I realized that it was time to sell my DS. Its amazing that they
have packed this much power into such a small package. The only other problem
I have is that I have one dead pixel but its way down in the corner and
doesn't bug me very much. Anybody else have any dead pixels? Anybody have a
perfect screen?

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> This system totally blows the DS out of the water.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Not yet.

The main issue is going to be durability. I'm not an advocate or detractor
of any particular company, and I have a PS2 but neither of its competitors
(and love it, since many of the games I absolutely love are PS2-exclusive),
but I've been keeping a rather skeptical eye on the PSP. Proprietary media
format issues notwithstanding, the fact is that you're dealing with an
optical-disc-based handheld device. PSP is never going to pass any of the
durability tests Nintendo's handhelds have consistently passed for years.
All the delicate moving parts inside the read drive are going to be
susceptible to jostling, dropping, fumbling, and so forth--things which can
and do happen when you're dealing with a handheld.

Also, there's no guarantee that the PSP can realistically surpass the DS in
the long run. Sony has a habit of huge, flashy, successful launches,
followed by long periods of stagnant mediocrity, with the occasional truly
brilliant exclusive game popping up. Nintendo, meanwhile, can be relied on
for steady, nurturing development of a system and its game base.

Oh, and the DS is backwards-compatible with the GBA, so right off the bat
Nintendo has used one of Sony's favorite tricks against them.

Then there's the area of "untapped potential". The DS is something
relatively new in the gaming industry. The PSP...isn't. Frankly, the PSP is
the Lynx all over again. I'm not saying it's going to TANK, mind. I'm just
saying that in the long run, the PSP will stagnate, and mostly become an
afterthought, while the DS will plug along at a steady rate and occasionally
break new ground in gaming innovation as companies figure out just what the
hell to DO with the thing.

If I had the money for either, I'd get the DS, PRIMARILY because of Advance
Wars DS. There are currently no active or planned titles for the PSP that
hold my interest enough to even consider committing to it.

And ironically, the handheld port of Katamari Damacy is going to the DS, not
the PSP. :p

--
This post brought to you by Dammitol.
Dammitol: We can't get rid of the stress,

The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:
> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>> This system totally blows the DS out of the water.
>

> I wouldn't be too sure about that. Not yet.
>
> The main issue is going to be durability. I'm not an advocate or detractor
> of any particular company, and I have a PS2 but neither of its competitors
> (and love it, since many of the games I absolutely love are PS2-exclusive),
> but I've been keeping a rather skeptical eye on the PSP. Proprietary media
> format issues notwithstanding, the fact is that you're dealing with an
> optical-disc-based handheld device. PSP is never going to pass any of the
> durability tests Nintendo's handhelds have consistently passed for years.
> All the delicate moving parts inside the read drive are going to be
> susceptible to jostling, dropping, fumbling, and so forth--things which can
> and do happen when you're dealing with a handheld.
>
> Also, there's no guarantee that the PSP can realistically surpass the DS in
> the long run. Sony has a habit of huge, flashy, successful launches,
> followed by long periods of stagnant mediocrity, with the occasional truly
> brilliant exclusive game popping up. Nintendo, meanwhile, can be relied on
> for steady, nurturing development of a system and its game base.

Does that mean rehashes and numerous other Mario or other games that we
have pretty much seen/played before? If so then yes you might be right.

"The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in message

> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> > This system totally blows the DS out of the water.
>
> I wouldn't be too sure about that. Not yet.
>
> The main issue is going to be durability. I'm not an advocate or detractor
> of any particular company, and I have a PS2 but neither of its competitors
> (and love it, since many of the games I absolutely love are
PS2-exclusive),
> but I've been keeping a rather skeptical eye on the PSP. Proprietary media
> format issues notwithstanding, the fact is that you're dealing with an
> optical-disc-based handheld device. PSP is never going to pass any of the
> durability tests Nintendo's handhelds have consistently passed for years.
> All the delicate moving parts inside the read drive are going to be
> susceptible to jostling, dropping, fumbling, and so forth--things which
can
> and do happen when you're dealing with a handheld.
>
> Also, there's no guarantee that the PSP can realistically surpass the DS
in
> the long run. Sony has a habit of huge, flashy, successful launches,
> followed by long periods of stagnant mediocrity, with the occasional truly
> brilliant exclusive game popping up. Nintendo, meanwhile, can be relied on
> for steady, nurturing development of a system and its game base.

That explains the 5 months of nothing from Nintendo since the DS launched.
The PSP is going to demolish the DS.

"Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> That explains the 5 months of nothing from Nintendo since the DS launched.
> The PSP is going to demolish the DS.

According to a friend of mine, EB has received a couple hundred DS trade-ins
the past couple weeks.
Now that the PSP is launched I wouldn't be suprised to see this double or
triple in the next week or 2.

Skye wrote:
> "The Eternal Lost Lurker" <shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt> wrote in message
>
>>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> This system totally blows the DS out of the water.
>>
>>I wouldn't be too sure about that. Not yet.
>>
>>The main issue is going to be durability. I'm not an advocate or detractor
>>of any particular company, and I have a PS2 but neither of its competitors
>>(and love it, since many of the games I absolutely love are
>
> PS2-exclusive),
>
>>but I've been keeping a rather skeptical eye on the PSP. Proprietary media
>>format issues notwithstanding, the fact is that you're dealing with an
>>optical-disc-based handheld device. PSP is never going to pass any of the
>>durability tests Nintendo's handhelds have consistently passed for years.
>>All the delicate moving parts inside the read drive are going to be
>>susceptible to jostling, dropping, fumbling, and so forth--things which
>
> can
>
>>and do happen when you're dealing with a handheld.
>>
>>Also, there's no guarantee that the PSP can realistically surpass the DS
>
> in
>
>>the long run. Sony has a habit of huge, flashy, successful launches,
>>followed by long periods of stagnant mediocrity, with the occasional truly
>>brilliant exclusive game popping up. Nintendo, meanwhile, can be relied on
>>for steady, nurturing development of a system and its game base.
>

> That explains the 5 months of nothing from Nintendo since the DS launched.
> The PSP is going to demolish the DS.

Yep, totally true...

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>That explains the 5 months of nothing from Nintendo since the DS launched.
>>The PSP is going to demolish the DS.
>

> According to a friend of mine, EB has received a couple hundred DS trade-ins
> the past couple weeks.
> Now that the PSP is launched I wouldn't be suprised to see this double or
> triple in the next week or 2.

I wouldn't be surprised at that at all, Ebay is likely to see a jump in
DS's as well...

In article <MAz0e.2200$c76.1700@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
shirikage@shirigakure.ne.butt says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>> This system totally blows the DS out of the water.
>
>I wouldn't be too sure about that. Not yet.
>
>The main issue is going to be durability. I'm not an advocate or detractor
>of any particular company, and I have a PS2 but neither of its competitors
>(and love it, since many of the games I absolutely love are PS2-exclusive),
>but I've been keeping a rather skeptical eye on the PSP. Proprietary media
>format issues notwithstanding, the fact is that you're dealing with an
>optical-disc-based handheld device. PSP is never going to pass any of the
>durability tests Nintendo's handhelds have consistently passed for years.
>All the delicate moving parts inside the read drive are going to be
>susceptible to jostling, dropping, fumbling, and so forth--things which can
>and do happen when you're dealing with a handheld.
>
>Also, there's no guarantee that the PSP can realistically surpass the DS in
>the long run. Sony has a habit of huge, flashy, successful launches,
>followed by long periods of stagnant mediocrity, with the occasional truly
>brilliant exclusive game popping up. Nintendo, meanwhile, can be relied on
>for steady, nurturing development of a system and its game base.
>
>Oh, and the DS is backwards-compatible with the GBA, so right off the bat
>Nintendo has used one of Sony's favorite tricks against them.
>
>Then there's the area of "untapped potential". The DS is something
>relatively new in the gaming industry. The PSP...isn't. Frankly, the PSP is
>the Lynx all over again. I'm not saying it's going to TANK, mind. I'm just
>saying that in the long run, the PSP will stagnate, and mostly become an
>afterthought, while the DS will plug along at a steady rate and occasionally
>break new ground in gaming innovation as companies figure out just what the
>hell to DO with the thing.
>
>If I had the money for either, I'd get the DS, PRIMARILY because of Advance
>Wars DS. There are currently no active or planned titles for the PSP that
>hold my interest enough to even consider committing to it.
>
>And ironically, the handheld port of Katamari Damacy is going to the DS, not
>the PSP. :p

I hate to say it dude but your gonna join Freddy in fantasy land if you think
the DS has a chance in hell against the PSP.

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:15:03 +0000, MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:

> I hate to say it dude but your gonna join Freddy in fantasy land if you think
> the DS has a chance in hell against the PSP.

I don't know about this. I think they both will live in harmony.
My wife's 3 nephews each have a SP. There is no way in hell I would
give them a PSP. They do not treat the disks right for their
Gamecube now. They each received an SP at christmas and one has
allready been lost. These kids are prime candidates for the SP.
I do not see anything coming out on the PSP for kids.

The PSP will rule the adult handheld market but will not defeat
Nintendo's market share with young children.

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo schrieb:

> I hate to say it dude but your gonna join Freddy in fantasy land if you think
> the DS has a chance in hell against the PSP.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The DS is cheap to built so a price
reduction to $99 isn't unrealistic to expect soon. Before PSP and DS
entered the market, handhelds were mostly a kids market. Especially at
$99 vs. $250 the DS should have no problem grabing that market again.
And then there is a part of the market, that neither DS nor PSP will be
able to grab. The people who just want to play a small game like Tetris
while waiting but don't want to carry around a big DS or PSP and don't
want to care about stuff like recharging the battery every other day.
The GBA SP should remain strong in that market. And if you look at
Japanese sales numbers, GBA SP sales remain strong.
And then the DS got stuff like Pictochat and GBA backward compatibility.
It all fits perfect into the old handheld market.
So basically Sony needs to built themself a new market for the PSP.
You need to question yourself, why were there only a small number of
games for older games on the older handhelds? We had games appealing to
older gamers during the SNES and Genesis days but there are little such
games for the GBA.
They need older gamers with cash for the PSP. At the moment it looks
like it is going to work, but I wouldn't be too sure. Sure for the
hardware $250 is a fair price, but otoh it is just a handheld. While for
hardcore gamers that won't be a problem, other people may just choose to
spend the money for something else. I'm not sure if a shiny piece of
hardware and Sony brandname is enough to change the structure of the
handheld market. Sony got no chance if handhelds remain something
parents buy for their kids so they remain quite during a long family car
trip. (Of course that was a exaggeration, but you get the idea.)

Jan

"Jan Lucas" <jan@lucas-berlin.de> wrote in message
> MS#1Fanboy-JoJo schrieb:
>
> > I hate to say it dude but your gonna join Freddy in fantasy land if you
think
> > the DS has a chance in hell against the PSP.
>
> I wouldn't be too sure about that. The DS is cheap to built so a price
> reduction to $99 isn't unrealistic to expect soon. Before PSP and DS
> entered the market, handhelds were mostly a kids market. Especially at
> $99 vs. $250 the DS should have no problem grabing that market again.
> And then there is a part of the market, that neither DS nor PSP will be
> able to grab. The people who just want to play a small game like Tetris
> while waiting but don't want to carry around a big DS or PSP and don't
> want to care about stuff like recharging the battery every other day.
> The GBA SP should remain strong in that market. And if you look at
> Japanese sales numbers, GBA SP sales remain strong.
> And then the DS got stuff like Pictochat and GBA backward compatibility.
> It all fits perfect into the old handheld market.
> So basically Sony needs to built themself a new market for the PSP.
> You need to question yourself, why were there only a small number of
> games for older games on the older handhelds? We had games appealing to
> older gamers during the SNES and Genesis days but there are little such
> games for the GBA.
> They need older gamers with cash for the PSP. At the moment it looks
> like it is going to work, but I wouldn't be too sure. Sure for the
> hardware $250 is a fair price, but otoh it is just a handheld. While for
> hardcore gamers that won't be a problem, other people may just choose to
> spend the money for something else. I'm not sure if a shiny piece of
> hardware and Sony brandname is enough to change the structure of the
> handheld market. Sony got no chance if handhelds remain something
> parents buy for their kids so they remain quite during a long family car
> trip. (Of course that was a exaggeration, but you get the idea.)
>
> Jan

I think it depends upon how the non-gamer or casual gamer reacts to the
system. I've shown the PSP to a few soccer-mom types, who were interested
in the system as a MP3 player and movie player...nevermind the games. When
I showed it to a crowd of adults, they thought the price was going to be
closer to the $400-$500 range, and seemed very interested in spending $250
on one. So, even if the PSP doesn't attract the younger kids, it might just
make up for that loss by attracting the older crowd and non-gamers who
have -0- interest in the DS. Should be an interesting battle...

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> > Also, there's no guarantee that the PSP can realistically surpass the DS
in
> > the long run. Sony has a habit of huge, flashy, successful launches,
> > followed by long periods of stagnant mediocrity, with the occasional
truly
> > brilliant exclusive game popping up. Nintendo, meanwhile, can be relied
on
> > for steady, nurturing development of a system and its game base.
>
> Does that mean rehashes and numerous other Mario or other games that we
> have pretty much seen/played before? If so then yes you might be right.

Hey, it sells. That's the bottom line, after all.

--

In article <pan.2005.03.24.15.42.25.991091@NOSPAM.linxdev.com>,
cfowler@NOSPAM.linxdev.com says...

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:15:03 +0000, MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
>>

>> I hate to say it dude but your gonna join Freddy in fantasy land if you
think
>> the DS has a chance in hell against the PSP.
>
>I don't know about this. I think they both will live in harmony.
>My wife's 3 nephews each have a SP. There is no way in hell I would
>give them a PSP. They do not treat the disks right for their
>Gamecube now. They each received an SP at christmas and one has
>allready been lost. These kids are prime candidates for the SP.
>I do not see anything coming out on the PSP for kids.
>
>The PSP will rule the adult handheld market but will not defeat
>Nintendo's market share with young children.

The SP is great but the DS needs work. It is better for small children though.
Like you said...its harder for them to screw it up.

Android schrieb:
> I think it depends upon how the non-gamer or casual gamer reacts to
> the system. I've shown the PSP to a few soccer-mom types, who were
> interested in the system as a MP3 player and movie player...nevermind
> the games. When I showed it to a crowd of adults, they thought the
> price was going to be closer to the $400-$500 range, and seemed very
> interested in spending $250 on one.

On other hand the price is closer to the $400-500 range when you factor
in a 1 GB Memorystick Pro DUO. And for slightly more than the PSP+1 GB
Memory Stick you can pickup a Videojukebox from Creative or Archos with
20GB HDD, where you got a lot more space, are able to use the full
resolution and don't need to convert your existing Divx files.

> So, even if the PSP doesn't attract the younger kids, it might just
> make up for that loss by attracting the older crowd and non-gamers
> who have -0- interest in the DS.

I'm not so sure about non-gamers having zero interest in the DS. I heard
from a few people that their girlfriends who are usually non-gamers are
using their boyfriend's DS almost constantly playing mini games. Mini
games using the touchscreen got intuitive control even for people who
never played games before.

> Should be an interesting battle...

Should be an interesting battle, yeah. There are also the rumors
Nintendo launches another handheld before xmas.

Jan