Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 will not boot

Last response: in Components
February 14, 2012 11:21:28 AM

Hi
I am not sure if I am in the right section but seemed the best option!

Yesterday and this morning my pc refuses to boot initially. Sometimes it goes to the POST and stops there, sometimes to the windows 7 screen and stops there. I managed to start in safe mode but the only thing odd in there was 'C: was ok, A: (floppy) ok, D: was renamed 'F' and E: was ok (I have a TSSTcorp DVD drive and a Lite-On lightscribe drive).

Also, after the first few attempts to start, the recovery window opened and tried to repair and even gave the option to system restore but to no avail (on the reboot it froze again). I did notice on the top of the 'repair' window it said 'Windows 7 on 'D:' drive, which I thought was odd because obviously my operating system is on 'C:'!!

Eventually (and I hadn't done anything) my pc started up and now I have 'C:' 'A:' ' E:'........no D or F? At one point I did insert my W7 disk hoping to boot from it but on the black screen it said 'CD, no boot mgr found'. But thinking about that, if I had put it in the drive that now doesn't exist, that could have been the cause of that problem.

Sometimes the drawer seems tempremental on my TSSTcorp drive (the one that doesn't show up now), could this drive be causing the startup problem with my computer?? I can disconnect it but not sure if this would have anything to do with it.

It seems my drive letters are getting mixed up and changing by themselves.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 2047 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305142 MB, Free - 241755 MB;
Motherboard: , 4CoreDual-SATA2
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Any help would be appreciated.
Gail

More about : windows boot

a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2012 5:09:37 PM

It almost sounds as if you have gotten infected. Do you have a recovery disk from your virus program you can boot to and let it check? If not, you may want to consider a clean install of Windows.

On thing to try though, is replacing the CMOS battery. The change in drives letters could be from loss of BIOS memory.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2012 5:56:08 PM

Lets start simple guys

I would disconnect the tsstcorp drive first and see it that helps.
a new cmos battery never hurt.
February 14, 2012 6:55:29 PM

I have re-started it earlier, fully expecting it not to start again but it did, but the TSSTcorp drive is still missing. My plan was to turn off as usual tonite then see what happens in the morning. If I have a problem then remove/disconnect the TSSTcorp drive and re-start. I have a new spare CMOS battery so I will try that too.

I will post again in the morning to let you know the outcome. Thanks for your replies.
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2012 7:30:29 PM

While you are in there have a good look at your motherboard capacitors. You are looking for any that are domed on top, they all should be flat, or have brownish goo collecting at the bottom, meaning they are leaking.

You can google for pictures of bad capactiors if you need them but what you describe is the same problem I had with several old boards and they all had bad caps.
February 14, 2012 7:40:01 PM

Thanks, Ive just looked at some photos of them, if i do notice any not looking good, what do I do with them? Is it something I could rectify myself?
February 15, 2012 9:28:04 AM

This morning it didn't start first time so I have disconnected the DVD drive that wasn't showing in 'My computer'. This drive was connected to 'Sata2' on the motherboard. I connected my other Lite-On drive to this sata2 mb connection and restarted pc. Started first time and I may be imagining it but it seem to boot a little quicker than usual. I turned off, re-connected the TSSTcorp drive to a spare sata connection on a pci card in there (which is where the Lite-On was connected) and rebooted - what an awful noise, the TSST drive wasn't happy at all.
So I am guessing from all this that it is the TSST dvd drive that is faulty and hopefully causing the start-up problem.
February 21, 2012 12:59:45 PM

Well, Ive run my pc for over a week now with the suspect DVD drive disconnected and all is well. My computer is booting up quicker than it has ever done and no problems. I would never have guessed a faulty DVD drive could cause the problem, but it seems it did.
Thank you all for your comments and help!
!