Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What do I need to get?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 19, 2012 9:11:27 AM

Hello,
My husband put a program on my computer called CPUID CPU-Z. It says my motherboard is nForce 650i SLI. What is the best motherboard to upgrade to from this? He says it needs to be compatible with my uh... chipset and cooling unit and something else. I may be using the wrong words. >.<
I bought some fancy CPUs from Amazon that were highly rated, but he says they won't fit into either of our computers. So I am supposed to send those back to Amazon, upgrade my motherboard, and then look for a CPU thing that will work for that. I bought like 8GB RAM, but my computer only recognizes 4, I think.
I just want to be able to play Sims 3 with all my downloads, but the only way it works is with the graphics turned down to complete ugliness and with frequent lag/stops/pauses.
Please help!

More about : question

a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 19, 2012 10:25:24 AM

I would simply list your oem model number if it's dell, hp, gateway, etc. Or post a picture of your case so I can see the backside; a few older setups were btx, but chances are your case can use a micro-atx motherboard. The 650i sli board chipset you're looking for has been out of production so long that you'll have to search ebay for one, but you can go with another chipset if needed, as long as it works with your cpu. But you may not find one that's sli capable; unless you're already using two video cards, you won't need it. Definately post your cpu model number, which is also listed on cpuz. For Intel, it might be e6550, for example.
m
l
December 20, 2012 12:36:06 PM

Here's what CPU-Z says:
Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 4 (max 4)
Name Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Codename Yorkfield
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x4)
CPUID 6.7.A
Extended CPUID 6.17
Core Stepping R0
Technology 45 nm
TDP Limit 95 Watts
Core Speed 2666.6 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 8.0 x 333.3 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1333.3 MHz
Stock frequency 2666 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T, VT-x
L1 Data cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2 x 3072 KBytes, 12-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 8.0x
Max VID 1.288 V

Chipset
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI SPP rev. A2
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI MCP rev. A3
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x8
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 4096 MBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 400.0 MHz (5:6)
CAS# latency (CL) 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 5
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 23
Command Rate (CR) 2T

Monitoring
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mainboard Model 0C113J (0x00000152 - 0x00493F40)
m
l
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 2:36:40 PM

Here's a board you can use:

http://www.amazon.com/eVGA-nForce-680i-Motherboard-122-... (used

The board has a similar chipset to your dead board; be sure your case is atx (for full size motherboards). You can enter the case or system model number (for dell, hp, etc if that's what you have) and get that information online. This board has no onboard video, but your present board should have a video card. It will work with ddr2 ram. The board you linked above is for newer Intel cpus; don't order it. Good luck.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 2:50:03 PM

From the motherboard model, it looks like its a Dell XPS 630(i). Proprietary computer suppliers are real finicky when it comes to upgrades especially entire motherboard upgrades. They usually have their cases setup so that only that particular board fits. Not always the case but usually. This makes upgrading very limited, usually to just a few CPUs, RAM, HDDs, and so forth.

What type of budget are you looking at for the upgrade? Since you are asking about motherboards and CPUs, I assume you are going to do the upgrading yourself. You would probably be better off building a whole new machine. You could probably get away with using the HDD and CD/DVD drive from the 630, the new RAM (if it's DDR3), and you already have the motherboard (if you haven't returned it yet). Do you know if the new RAM is DDR2 or DDR3. That might be why its not recognizing it. Your board only supports DDR2.
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 435 V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 5:28:29 PM

Your board was listed on one seller at amazon for $160 new. I would look for a used dell system on craigslist for under $200 with windows 7 already installed. You can then remove your hardrive and install it as a secondary drive if the new system has windows 7 pro or ultimate versions, both work with windows xp files.
m
l
December 22, 2012 6:25:09 PM

Best answer selected by mewsgirl.
m
l
!