VM Ware lab machine for Oracle enviornment...

OniNoKen

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Greetings!

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good mobo/cpu combo pack for on which to build an oracle VM lab machine. The purpose of this is to let me work through certification labs, and test new technology. I will not be supporting any users or anything through this machine. Stability, afford-ability, and price are at a premium. I'd like to be able to create up to 4 oracle database server vm's, or a similar number of windows servers, enough to create a very small AD domain, with dc and database servers. Also, driving two monitors would be a good thing to be able to do too, just for productivity sake.

I'll use my gaming workstation as a client to connect to the servers.

Thanks for your time!

Ken

jnaused

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I am running into the same issue with virtualizing a sql sever environment. How much RAM do you need for each Oracle environment? I joined Tom's HW today to get input as well. My post in "new builds" under jnaused might be relevant. Good luck.

OniNoKen

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Well, one thing I have discovered in working with VM's is that they seem to do okay with less ram than you'd need for a normal implementation. And, its my understanding that what drives ram of MS SQL server is connections, isn't it? As for Oracle, my research indicates that I'll be able to handle what I want to do with about 4 gigs of ram, so I'm going to go 8.

When I worked at a training center, we were able to run ms ad environments with about 5 servers on machines with 4 gigs of ram... but that was a few years ago. I'll take a look at your builds in a bit, and post the one I'm looking at as soon as my son goes to bed.