Help needed (urgent!): Windows wont boot past start screen

g-unit1111

Titan
OK so last night my computer froze while I was watching a movie and I restarted my computer several times, I eventually could run Windows in safe mode but couldn't any other time. What happened was that even the POST screen on the motherboard (Asus P6T) would take forever to find the HD when I restarted every other time, and the times it didn't it would load Windows and wouldn't get past the start screen. I tried to run a system restore and even that failed. Do I need to reinstall Windows? Is it my SSD (Intel 320)? Should I call Intel to try to get a replacement?

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
If you can get into safe mode windows should be working. I'd say it was a driver issue with your graphics or your card went bad. Uninstall your graphics drivers and reboot and see if plug and play will fix the issue.

g-unit1111

Titan

I don't think it's the graphics drivers - I had Portal 2 running quite a bit yesterday and it played perfectly fine before the crash. I'm sure it has to do with a Windows update, I ran a system restore in safe mode and I still couldn't get it to boot past the startup screen.

g-unit1111

Titan

I totally agree - but I hate installing Windows on mechanical HDs even more - it's like an all day chore when you do. SSDs cut the time of installing Windows by like 1/3.

Although I talked to my IT guy about it - he thinks it's one of the RAM modules. The only bad thing is my RAM is way out of warranty, would replacements be in order? Maybe instead of 6 x 2GB I move to 3 x 4GB?